Whatcha doin????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrustGzus, Aug 16, 2018.

1. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Yep. 49 does seems like a pinnacle of youth, in all honesty.

Definitely good times ahead, if the Lord tarries. It actually gets better and better, though the body fades.

2. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

3. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Can you believe flying porta-potties. This wind is something else - and cold.

4. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMINXTC likes this.
  5. teddyv

I'm really getting annoyed with LED lights. For all their energy savings, they seem to fail a lot quicker than conventional bulbs. Outdoor Christmas lights have got to be the worst. I think I have at least one string fails every year. You'd think that a solid-state light should be nigh indestructible. And you can't even troubleshoot those things either.

6. RabbiKnife

Candles.

Binary. on/off.

Easy troubleshooting.

7. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

You'd hope something solid state that doesn't require a filament to be literally white hot would last. Sadly that underestimates the ability of some Chinese sweatshop to produce junk. I grow really sick of LED bulbs that promise "up to ten years life" and then die within a couple of months. Except they don't just outright die the way a filament bulb would die, they sometimes flicker, sometimes work and sometimes don't work, then they work just fine for another couple of weeks and then flash so fast they make you feel sick, and only then do they die.

Sometimes I wonder if a better approach to lighting would be to install a 12V "main" throughout the house and buy plug-in LEDs that can go just about anywhere. That way the entirety of the house lighting could run off a car battery so that if the power goes out you've still got light, even if precious little else.

8. tango

Who'd have thought the concept of a sh--storm could be taken so literally?

IMINXTC likes this.
  9. teddyv

Well they are portable...
    :)

IMINXTC likes this.
  10. RabbiKnife

And potties...

11. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

12. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Snow, 30* F. Thinking the cold is preferable to the heat.
    Rain mixed with the white stuff this weekend. Roads will be lovely.
    U.S. 287 is pretty in white.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  13. RabbiKnife

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

14. teddyv

Yeah, we are suddenly looking more Christmasy up this way.

15. RabbiKnife

Yeah, but halloweeny first...

16. teddyv

17. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Just watched every episode of "The Expanse," twice and might go again.
    Unique series with complex characterization. Here, the technological imagery is more basic and realistic while still awe-inspiring. A nuts and bolts space technology.
    (couple interesting religion segments).
    My little autumn escape mode, no doubt.

18. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

We're going through the X Files. Middle of season 4, then the first movie, then onwards towards mediocrity.

19. tango

Spent some time today clearing some old junk out of my basement. A box of cables is now sorted and the cables are neatly coiled and tied, as opposed to being a box-sized tangle where everything is probably in there somewhere. A bunch of scrap wood cut up and tossed into my scrap buckets, and a load of redundant cables and old nails etc tossed in my scrap metal buckets.

Hopefully before long I can get out and burn the scrap wood. I'll need a lot more metal to make it worth taking it to the recycling - chances are the ferrous stuff is never going be worth the trip but the copper and aluminum cans I've got piling up in the garage will be worth the trip a lot sooner.

20. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

"Unprecedented," storm moves in this afternoon. Whatever does that mean:eek: