Whatcha doin????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrustGzus, Aug 16, 2018.

1. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I know many people in the business that only thrive in the back-end of nowhere. I'm not one of those. It's not a long term job or anything, and I've got to talk to him about details since I still have some other commitments regarding this last one, as well as couple other clients. But with braces on a couple kids, we could certainly use the additional income. :)

2. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

It always makes me laugh to see the memes along the lines of "would you give up Facebook for $1m?" when I think I'd give up Facebook for a cheeseburger and a couple of beers. Or you get the cabin in the woods surrounded by thousands of acres of wilderness with nothing more than a river-fed lake and stunning views in all directions and the chance to live there for a month and get $1m but having to do without internet access. Yep, I reckon I could do that too quite happily.

In many ways I think I'd thrive in the back end of nowhere, but for the small matter that I'd rather like to see my wife more than once every several months and she wouldn't thrive in the wilderness.

3. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Nice to know I still remember how to change a flat without calling AAA...

4. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Tract creation: A highly involved process, paricularly getting from file to printed copies - print, then cut to optimum size. Fun, however. Will be setting up good copier/folder.

DVD: Gave up on the older media pc. New one will arrive shortly. Nvidia dedicated graphics etc. Install firewire card for DV capture. IEEE-1394 has become more of a niche system.

Time allows. Love this stuff!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  5. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Long, arduous process of clearing out storage unit in the city. Saving $$$ and 30 mile drive. Dismantle and move the racks, again. Have set up generator etc in mill storage and will use it for limited shop-work. Parking cargo (tool) trailer outside of sister's basement and will do remodel out of it.
    Enough firewood till spring, likely. Utility trailer gets parked. Just packed the bearings.
    Doing some carpentry at work, as usual - casual.
    Seem to be settling in, finally. More at home as time goes on.
    The younger extension of the family stresses me out.
    California in the spring, tentatively.
    Yeah, right! Lord, willing, rather.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  6. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

Our daughter is 14 today. How on earth did that happen?

7. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

One day at a time. Congratulations

8. RabbiKnife

The question is “how did you age twice as fast as she did?”

9. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

My youngest is 19. So......

10. tango

Not sure if I mentioned this but the first room under construction is pretty much finished. I will want to put a radiator in there plumbed into our main heating system but in the meantime I can use an electric heater as needed. It's really looking nice in there. Next up is another bedroom I've mostly gutted, and a small space just outside the room I've completed. I'd rather not have to pull down the walls in the space but part of it shares a room with the other bedroom and that wall needs to be restudded. That area is small enough that I hope I can hang and finish new drywall myself.

11. tango

Pretty good day today. Yesterday I emptied all the ash out of my old burn barrel and got that bagged up. I was trying to figure out how to get rid of an old barrel because it was rusting through and so no good as a burn barrel any more, but big enough that I'd struggle to get it into either of our cars without spilling ash everywhere. In the end I used an ash shovel to put the ash into black sacks and then used my sabre saw to cut up the barrel. Now it will go in a car easily and a local place takes scrap metal so they can have it.

Today I drilled holes in a new burn barrel - this one is a reclaimed trash can that's sturdy enough I can bounce my weight on the rim of it when it's laid down and it barely gives at all. Now it has air holes drilled in it and is mostly full of glowing embers. I got rid of a huge pile of my scrap wood. I had planned to give it to a friend for his fire pit but got sick of looking at it, and now I have a means to get rid of it I got rid of it.

IMINXTC likes this.
  12. tango

The glowing embers that once filled my burn barrel smoldered down to little more than a spattering of ash in the bottom. Now it's full of embers again, I cut up the rest of the wood and took it out back to burn it.

I plan to do my walk later, but for now my wife is out and I don't want to leave the barrel totally unattended. The embers and flames are low enough now I don't feel the need to stand by it watching it closely, but want to be at least vaguely nearby just in case anything should go wrong with it.

13. RabbiKnife

Just don't do a "gender reveal" event with a pyrotechnic devise and burn up 10K acres...

"Only you can prevent forest fires."

14. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Gender real parties... Talk about an insane social milieu.

15. RabbiKnife

I mean, how parochial and unwoke as to tell perfect strangers the gender of your child when he/she/it/they have not yet had a chance to choose their/our gender of the month...

I mean, really...

16. Athanasius

I mean, without the child's constent at that. These parties are problematic; I bet the mothers are TERFS, and I wouldn't be surprised if the father is instantiating the patriarchy through some power game wrought large within the home to force this heteronormative practice onto the unsuspecting child, who is now set up for life to be pigeonholed into X gender role. Disgusting.

...I can see why people who get caught up in this stuff are miserable.

RabbiKnife likes this.
  17. RabbiKnife

Misery, as in, anxiety and nerve degenerative arising from incessant, um, orifice observation.

18. tango

No need to reveal genders here, it's just a bunch of inanimate objects that have no way of expressing their preferred pronouns. From dust they were formed and to (ash) dust they have returned. If it makes a difference most of the smoke was white. Maybe the pieces of scrap wood were racist.

19. Athanasius

Was watching some Thomas Sowell interviews from ~40 years ago. Seem to have been on this course for a while now. (Albeit there's been an obvious degredation in discourse generally, e.g. his appearances on 'The Firing Line' are so cordial in disagreement as to be foreign to today's world.)

20. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Parental idiocy revealed.