Whatcha doin????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrustGzus, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Just finished the Death Wish remake with Bruce Willis. Faithful enough, although some over-the-top kills that added nothing but 'eww'.

2. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

Sitting in emerg because I put an axe in my leg just below the knee. Stupid. Even got the bonus tetanus shot.

3. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

What!!!!?????:(o_O:mad:

4. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

My grandpa once put an axe between his tibia and the muscle on the inside that I'm too lazy to Google the name of. Unenviable.

5. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

OK, after my visit to the ER a year ago because I put a wallpaper scraper in my wrist I'm going to concede and declare that you win.

6. teddyv

It was not that bad: 4 stitches. I think I only got the very end of the blade. I knew I hit my leg but it felt no different than getting hit by something blunt. When I finished what I was doing, I thought to have a look. Well that was bloody. We were about and hour and quarter from the hospital. Bandaged with cloth sample bags and duct tape. The triage nurse quite liked it.

7. tango

Four stitches? In that case I'm calling it a draw - I had four stitches after putting the wallpaper scraper in my wrist. The difference is I knew right away I'd done something with a sharp object so I didn't bleed everywhere before noticing it.

Seriously though, glad it wasn't as ugly as it first sounded.

8. teddyv

Yeah it looked pretty bad. There is a near surface artery where I got it (according to the doctor). Can't complain much when there was a woman groaning in obvious pain in another bed.

9. tango

When I made my visit to the ER there were three very loud females there (I don't know if they counted as "ladies") who were very keen to let me know I'd be there a while because they were there before me. They didn't seem like kind of people who would have benefited from explaining how triage works. Anyway I was called back within about 10 minutes and after being stitched back together again and sent home they were still waiting there. A friend of ours who works in the ER later and heard about it commented they were probably the ones known to the staff as the frequent flyers.

It was curious to see the occupants of the waiting room. I was what you might call walking wounded - a cut that needed attention but no other problems and no particular pain. These three bolshy women were showing no signs of having anything wrong with them at all. And then there was the older lady sitting in the corner, obviously in pain.

When I checked in they asked me how much pain I had, so I said that on their 0-10 scale I was probably somewhere around a 1 (i.e. a bit of aching but no real pain to speak of). Apparently they get people in there who talk about what they did in a fairly jovial manner much like I was, but then claim they are 9/10 or even 10/10 on the pain scale. The scale shows 10/10 meaning that you can't think of anything else, can't function etc. If you're talking and joking then by definition you aren't at 10/10. Maybe people think it will get them seen faster.

10. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Duct tape... Red Green is right.....

And I've bandaged more cut with duct tape than I can count.

Never leave home without it.

11. tango

When I had my new breaker panel installed the electrician cut himself on the end of a piece of cable. For a moment I thought he was going to need it checked out but he just used some electrical tape to deal with it and carried on working.

12. teddyv

So our second day in the field ended with a tire blowout on a remote road with no cel coverage at about 8pm. We could not get the spare tire to release (that was partially our problem). So a local took my client back to the little village to make a call for assistance. We got back to our motel at 1AM.

Today went a bit smoother.

13. RabbiKnife

Sounds like an adventure, Teddy.

14. tango

Sounds like quite a trip. It reminds me of the time my wife and I blew a tire on the Queen Elizabeth Highway a few miles north of the border, in the dark, in December. We found a place to get mostly off the road but then realized that neither of us could figure out how to get the spare wheel off the car. Thankfully a police patrol car going the other way saw us pull off and put the 4-way hazard lights on so turned around at the nearby exit and came to help us.

Hope the rest of your trip is boringly uneventful :)

15. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

I’m never leaving my house.

16. teddyv

Managed to knock off a pile of soil samples in a few hours on the last field day. We got back for dinner at 8:30.
    All has been normal on our way home now. But still another 150km to go. Maybe we'll get jumped by a moose.

17. RabbiKnife

I hear you only get jumped by a moose once.

Me, enjoying the solitude with a nice cup pa joe, courtesy of who knows who...

18. tango

Clearing more cellulose out of the attic. Added another six bags of the stuff to my collection. I've got 8 bags to feed out a bit at a time to the trash collection, on top of the 8-10 bags (I forget how many) that I took to the landfill last week.

For large parts of the area I'm working on I've lifted all I can with my scoop and hands, and now I'm using the shop vac and separator to pick up the last scraps from the nooks and crannies.

19. RabbiKnife

I never can tell the difference between my nooks and my crannies...

20. tango

They can be hard to tell apart, especially when they are filled with dust and debris.