Whatcha doin????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrustGzus, Aug 16, 2018.

1. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

90 days... hopefully that's long enough for me to finish pulling down my ceiling :)

2. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Don't let it get to your head!
    Okay I'm gone:(

tango likes this.
  3. tango

I spend about three hours pulling it down today. By the time I was done you'd be forgiven for thinking I had black hair. It was pretty grim trying to get it all out of my hair in the shower, had to lather up my hair multiple times. I'm really looking forward to the time when this stage is done. I don't suppose sanding drywall mud is going to be a particularly sterile process but at least it won't involve lumps of plaster falling all over the place and throwing up clouds of dust.

4. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

I use a stiff, wet sponge - no dust. Lightly sanding the final layer before priming.
    Still messy.

5. tango

Thanks for the tip.... anything to cut down the dust helps!

Want to come lend a hand? :)

6. tango

Got a bit more ceiling pulled down. Also got to the bottom of a very frustrating situation where the problem turned out to be nothing like I expected.
    I had an Amazon fire stick and it stopped working, so I got another one. The new one didn't work, so I went through the process of swapping each component in the chain out in turn. Different power adapter - no good. Different cable - no good. Different stick - no good. Different HDMI extender - no good. So I took the whole lot upstairs to my computer monitor and it worked perfectly. So that meant the TV was bad. Awesome. Cue a new TV. Except the new TV is a piece of junk (you get what you pay for, and I didn't pay much) and the thing still didn't work.
    Then, completely by chance, I wondered if the power adapter was putting out a slightly inadequate current so tried a different one that puts out 2A. Everything worked first time. Not sure how I got two bad power adapters but there you go.
    Until the thing didn't work with the new power adapter, but this one has a light and I noticed the light was out. After all that, you guessed it, the problem is with the house. I need to swap out that receptacle. You couldn't make this stuff up....

7. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Spirit is willing, but the flesh...:rolleyes:

tango likes this.
  8. tango

I know the feeling. Today I knew it needed to be done but just really wasn't feeling it, so took a shower and did something less sweaty instead.

IMINXTC likes this.
  9. tango

So having discovered that the problem all along was a bad receptacle (who'd have thought this house had electrical issues?) I took the TV back to Best Buy. It was handy that it had endless pages of terms and conditions to read. I'm "That Guy", the one who actually reads them, and it said if I didn't accept the terms I should return the TV for a refund. So that's what I did. While I was there I spent some of my refund on some surge protectors, including one for the TV and accessories. It featured two USB sockets, which means I don't need a power adapter to power the Firestick and Chromecast, which is handy in itself.

Then I decided I needed some more entertainment so I replaced the receptacle and the wire feeding it. When we had the new breaker panel put in the existing cable wasn't long enough so the electrician put a junction box in rather than trying to replace everything. It works, but I think it's ugly, and in any event I don't like the cables running diagonally across the room pinned to the underside of the joists. So I took the whole lot out, and replaced it with a nice new piece of 12-gauge. And I realized just what a bad job had been done of fitting that receptacle. It was a three-pin receptacle and the cable feeding it was older 12-2 with ground. But the ground wasn't connected, it was just wrapped around the cable sheathing. The two wires that were connected were put on the wrong way round. But now the receptacle is sitting in my scrap metal pile, as is the elderly back box it was in, and everything is nice and new. And the new piece of 12-gauge that powers it is neatly stapled to the joists and tucked out of the way.

10. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Ha! Tests are in. Already had a heart attack, LOL
    Didn't realize.
    Was told to make plans.
    Okay. Can do:p
    More tests ahead. Statins etc.
    Forward Ho!

11. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

Yikes.

12. tango

Had a heart attack and didn't realize? Wow.... I didn't think that was possible.

13. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Does happen. EKG does not provide a timeline but a previous EKG is being released for reference.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  14. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Ourch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man, that's amazing. I wasn't aware that was a possibility, either.

Metaphilosophical question.

Is it better to go see Jesus at some point in the future with broccoli on your breath or with a bacon cheeseburger on your breath?

15. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

I vote for the bacon cheeseburger.

16. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

You’re a Gentile. Bacon cheeseburger.

17. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Anything but grapefruit:p

18. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

You could use the diet plan that Judge Kavanaugh is now giving to the Senate Dems.

They will need some colostomy bags until the reaming heals.

19. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

One can also have small strokes / seizures without knowing.

20. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

Yep.

IMINXTC likes this.