Whatcha doin????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrustGzus, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

I love the smell of sawdust. I grew up with it. My dad created plenty when I was growing up.

tango likes this.
  2. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

Creating sawdust is fun, as long as the bits not turned to sawdust are at least vaguely useful for something....

3. tango

The new panels look OK put approximately into place. I need to let the stain fully dry and get some bug screen material stapled to the back, and maybe trim them so they aren't quite such a tight fit, and then we're good to go.

4. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Day of rest. And laundry. And vehiclle repair.
    And much, much food

RabbiKnife likes this.
  5. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

As it should be

IMINXTC likes this.
  6. tango

Heavy rain so far today. Heavy enough I'd rather not even walk the short distance from the parking to the hardware store to get the bug screen material I need. Guess it's a day for wall building....

I showed a sample of the salvaged wood to a friend. Turns out much of it is spruce. It might be 90 years old but it's spruce - as he put it, soft and not very pretty. So I don't think I'll bother salvaging it for reuse as baseboards, at best I'll use it to make a door frame, window trim or similar. That's handy - the pieces are big enough to be unwieldy and since they have no particular value I can cut them into smaller pieces without the fear that I'll subsequently find they'd have been worth a chunk of change if I'd left them alone.

7. Cloudwalker

And Monday we diet.

IMINXTC likes this.
  8. Cloudwalker

BTW, be praying for the people in Florida. We have a hurricane headed our way. It's scheduled to be a category 3 when it makes landfall in the Big Bend area, somewhere around Tallahassee. Subject to the whims of the hurricane.

IMINXTC likes this.
  9. RabbiKnife

Hurricane headed due north up the west side to Tallahassee, turned right.

bizarre/

10. Cloudwalker

It made landfall at Perry, FL at approximately 8 AM as a Category 4. It wobbled some, as all Hurricanes do, but no sudden turns.

11. tango

Interesting jaunt this afternoon. I found about a place about an hour and a half away where there's a huge sunflower field and you can go and walk among the sunflowers. It turned out you couldn't walk anywere near as far through them as I'd expected but it was an amazing sight. You're allowed to take them away as well - they have honesty boxes for you to put the money in.

So we looked at a lot of sunflowers, then had dinner out and an unexpected adventure on the way home when I missed a turn and the GPS tried to take me to a dead end on an unpaved road.

RabbiKnife likes this.
  12. Cloudwalker

IMHO, GPS means "Getting People So Lost." I used to be the directions expert at a hotel. 90% of the people who called saying they were lost were following a GPS.

13. tango

It does do some interesting things, that's for sure. Yesterday the problem was that I missed a turn and the GPS tried to recover the situation. But instead of just saying "turn around" it decided to let me drive a couple of miles and then tried to turn me around in ever-smaller roads. Stlll, it beats the time years ago that my GPS told me to "turn right in 100 yards" when there wasn't even any sign of a break in the hedge beside the (single lane) road, and then insisted I should turn right despite the presence of the hedge. When I cycled everywhere it very helpfully suggested I turn right onto a motorway. Quite aside from the undesirability of turning right when no such turn existed - I was on a bridge that ran over the motorway - and the difficulties of turning across that many lanes of traffic anyway, bicycles aren't allowed on motorways at all.

Cloudwalker likes this.
  14. RabbiKnife

"GPS took me on a dead end road, honey..."
    Is that the 2023 equivalent of the 1960's, "oh no, honey, we ran out of gas... What do we do now?"

You sly dog.

o_O

15. tango

Interesting theory but curiously (and, to be honest, I don't know I'd believe the story if I heard it second hand) as I was backing out of the gravel single-track road with the No Outlet sign, after dark, in the absolute middle of nowhere, there was a car behind me waiting to turn into the lane.

Maybe their GPS was also - ahem - misdirecting them....

16. tango

I finally got around to fixing the screen in front of the air conditioning duct. The woodwork that once covered the space is now back, with ventilation cut into it, the cut edges stained, bug screen behind it (more to catch cat hair than bugs), and put back in place. I even found the original piece of trim to sit across the bottom of it.

It looks like it was always there. Probably because it was, but it doesn't look like it's been removed, modified, and put back into place.

17. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Chillin' around Calgary for the next little while. Was kinda wondering how I'd see things, with these 'new' eyes of mine.

I don't like.

IMINXTC likes this.
  18. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

"Don't let the smoke get in..."

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
  19. tango

Started framing the wall in the next room to be finished. I decided not to worry too much about everything being perfectly perpendicular - I think just working with a simple stand-off from the wall is going to result in angles that are about 0.4 degrees off perpendicular, which I think is close enough.

20. tango

New eyes? Did I miss something?