Whatcha doin????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrustGzus, Aug 16, 2018.

1. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Check out the little inspection sticker on the bottom of the level.

It says "Inspected by Sum Tim Wong."

tango likes this.
  2. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

It seems to work reasonably well. It beeps annoyingly loudly if it's too far off-level for it to be able to level itself, and can throw lasers in three directions. It might be nice to have a little brighter light from the laser but for the money it's hard to complain.

So today I've been trying to clear up some space in the room that needs restudding, and debating whether to put a continuous layer of insulation behind the new studs. It means about $350 but it will increase the insulation in the walls from R13 to more like R18 and will also mean I don't have thermal bridging across the studs. I'm just trying to gauge whether a corner in the exterior wall will give external air an easy chance to bypass all of the insulation, and to what extent that will affect whether it's worth doing. I'm thinking I probably will do it, if I can figure out how to attach panels to a somewhat uneven concrete wall. I'm not sure how well it would work if I tried to build the wall, pin the panels to the back of it, and then put the wall in place. The ceiling and floor aren't quite parallel so it seems like a perfect opportunity to build something only to find it doesn't quite fit and I have to take it all apart again.

3. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

Have you ever thought of spray foam insulation? Maybe a bit pricy but no problems with uneven walls

4. Cloudwalker

Meanwhile I'm posting from inside the hospital.

5. tango

I've considered it but it seems like something I'd really need to pay someone to apply, although it's possible I could frame the wall, mount electrical boxes and run some conduit to create a clear pathway for cables, then have it sprayed to fill all the gaps between and behind the joists. I think I'm allowed to spray it myself, I just wouldn't want to pay that kind of money and then make a hash of it.

I also get a little leery of having professionals in for jobs where I have to be a little creative in interpreting codes. When the house was built there was no code - if it didn't fall down it was fine. When it was extended there was no code. Now code specifies the thickness of walls, the positioning of electrical boxes, the depth of electrical boxes etc, but the space I have to work with isn't enough to fully comply with every single aspect of code. If I tried to fully comply with code in this particular space I'd end up with a room with a door too narrow to actually get through. That means I have to figure out how close to compliance I can get by balancing the need for doors with the need to have adequate space for electrical boxes and insulation and stuff. Some local professionals can work with "do the best you can" but others won't do anything unless it's in full compliance, even if that ends up causing all sorts of other problems and potential code violations, but presumably they're working on the basis that their bit complies with code and if someone else has to break some aspect of it then it's someone else's problem to figure it out.

6. tango

That sounds ominous. What happened?

7. RabbiKnife

Ouch.

But, better than from inside the morgue.

Cloudwalker likes this.
  8. Cloudwalker

Was weak, tired, unsteady on my feet and light headed. Doing better now. Dehydrated annd low sodium

9. RabbiKnife

Sounds like a hot dog- beer deficiency

and I don’t drink beer

10. Cloudwalker

I don't drink beer either. They let me go home this afternoon.

11. tango

Guess I'll have to drink your shares of the beer.

Dehydration and low sodium seems like an odd combo. I've always associated low sodium with overhydration. But being home is what matters. Odd to think of someone needing more salt, given all the talk of using less salt.

12. tango

Finally getting some space cleared so I can build my wall. Still not sure how I'm going to get the insulation material here - Lowe's delivery fee is $79 which is a lot for what I want delivered, so I need to figure if a friend with a truck will let me use it.

In the meantime I can still press ahead with getting space cleared to frame the wall and getting the top and bottom bars positioned. So far I've got three of my 2x10s ripped into 12 smaller beams, that I'll be using as studs. I'm hoping they are deep enough that I can put my electrical boxes at a code-compliant height, but if not I'll put them in the baseboard. It's not ideal, it's harder to fit them, but it works well enough as a fallback.

13. tango

My suggested workout today was 88 minutes. I'm not sure why 88 minutes rather than a round 90 minutes, but I guess that's what an algorithm somewhere spat out. Thankfully it was 88 minutes of base level running, which means "not too hard". I can keep a screen on my watch showing my heart rate and the idea is simple - once I go over the target I slow down a bit. If I drop too low I speed up a bit. Rinse and repeat for 88 minutes. It left my muscles feeling a bit sore but aside from that I was pretty good at the end. The weather was quite humid, so I was pretty sweaty when I got home.

14. RabbiKnife

88 minutes???

I'm surprised the guy with the baseball bat chasing you could keep up for that long...

tango likes this.
  15. tango

It wasn't a fast run.

Although I think it was our very own Cloud-man who pointed out a verse from Scripture that says something about a fool running when nobody is chasing. He could well be onto something there....

16. tango

Curiously, since my training load now skews slightly towards low aerobic activity, my suggested workout for today is more low aerobic activity "to keep my load balanced". Which suits me just fine, today doesn't feel like a day I really want to go at anything particularly hard, but it's odd that keeping my training balanced means doing more of what I'm already skewed towards.

It's good to have this balance. Historically I've always struggled to maintain much low aerobic activity. Now I've figured out how to do harder exercise without going into the high aerobic band it feels like I may be able to improve some more.

17. RabbiKnife

Geez.

I got tired just reading that... You are a much better man that I.

18. tango

I'm not sure about "much better". Maybe "much more stupid" would be a more apt description....

19. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Was difficult transition retiring from physical work - all my equipment is now gone. Driving is very involved but I currently make more than the high-faluten tech 3 workers at the limeplant where I previously worked.
    Still transitioning to the Bay Area where ministry willl continue. Will be soon.
    LORD Willing.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
    RabbiKnife likes this.
  20. tango

Finally got to run my router through some wood panels. I took some panels out to access a space that I'm now using for air conditioning duct work, and wanted to cut air slots in the panels so I can put them back and conceal the vents, making the whole thing look a lot more olde-worlde (the way it did before we put air conditioning in). It took a bit of deciding just what we wanted but today was the day I took to drilling holes and running routers to cut it. Now I just need to put some bug screen material behind it all, to catch things like cat hair and keep the worst of it out of the vents. The vents have filters, but it's easier to clean the wood panels at the front than remove them and clean the vents. My intention is that I can clean the bug screens when the "clean filter" icon comes on, and then the second time I can clear the bug screens and the filter.

It's surprising just how much sawdust it creates running a 5/8" router bit along nine 24" channels. Thankfully it wasn't as liberally distributed throughout my workshop as it might have been, so sucking it up in the vacuum cleaner afterwards was easy enough.