Whatcha doin????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrustGzus, Aug 16, 2018.

1. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

You could always go to Theodoric of York, Medieval Barber...

Praying for you. Dental pain is the worst.

2. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

The only tooth pain I have these days is when I get something under my dentures

Athanasius likes this.
  3. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

I just might. Even with insurance, this tooth will cost £500 if I need another. Sigh.

4. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Prayers this evening for provision. This reinfection business has got to go.

Athanasius likes this.
  5. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

The other forum seems quite interesting of late. I can tell by the way I start to come unglued when perusing threads.
    Look forward to getting more involved soon.

6. RabbiKnife

Prayers for you, my friend. From my experience, a true sign of aging is the inverse relationship between my ungluedness and what passes as public opinion.

7. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

I know that feeling well. There are a couple of groups on zuckerbook that I only joined because they occasionally contain some useful local information, but many days it seems the primary purpose is for the masses to indicate their lack of reading comprehension and inability to write a coherent sentence.

8. RabbiKnife

Yes. As the great Neal Bortz calls them, the "dumb masses." Vocal elision intended.

IMINXTC likes this.
  9. tango

Sometimes all I can do is marvel at the stupid, and wonder how it managed to reproduce....

IMINXTC likes this.
  10. RabbiKnife

Either parthenogenic or pure blind chance...

11. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Real world meets virtual world. Grounds for matrimony.

12. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

Our drama team did a production at both services today about Psalm 23.

13. tango

Got a honking great pile of wood ready to build some more walls. Now I just need to clear space to access the entirety of the wall, figure the best way to make sure things are straight and perpendicular, and then spend some time running thick wood through my saw to turn it into thinner wood and (hopefully not too much) sawdust. The trickiest bit is probably going to be making sure it's all straight and perpendicular, given I need things to be perpendicular in all directions with top bars nicely positioned above and parallel to the bottom bars rather than something vaguely kinda-sorta-parallel.

I've fashioned a crude but effective pair of small platforms on wheels so I can lift a cast iron radiator onto them, one end at a time, and then wheel the radiator around. It's so much easier than trying to drag it, and does less damage to the floor. Shifting things that weigh more than I do is always something of a challenge.

14. RabbiKnife

You need an Egyptian or two, all that levers, and inclined planes, and screws, and pulleys, and such.

Or, just one 16 year old linebacker...

The Egyptians will be cheaper to feed.

tango likes this.
  15. tango

A few Egyptians would be handy. Then I could just take all the blocks out of the wall and get them put back straighter than before. That would save me a lot of calculations later on. I think my iron radiator weighs something like 350-400lb so I'd need more than one linebacker to move it easily. And they would eat a lot, given I'm likely to want to move it multiple times before I'm done in that room. One plan under consideration was to get rid of it completely but that means moving it down the stairs, which seems like an open invitation for things to go sideways very fast. Obviously someone managed to get it upstairs, but I'm not sure how.

16. RabbiKnife

Have the linebacker break it into pieces with a sledgehammer, then throw the pieces out of the window...

:)

tango likes this.
  17. tango

I suppose that would work but I can swing a big hammer pretty well too. Breaking things has never been too much of a challenge. Putting them back together again requires a little more finesse, and the idea of getting rid of the radiator was more about selling it to someone who wanted a vintage cast iron radiator, than selling it to someone who wanted a big pile of scrap iron :)

18. tango

It turned out my wheeled platforms aren't as robust as I hoped. One of the wheels buckled and snapped. I'm not sure if that means there's too much weight overall, or just too much weight being forced onto it if I try and wheel the platform.

I hope I don't need to upgrade all the wheels. The ones I'm using are rated at 50lb (four to a wooden platform, a platform at each end of the radiator) and came in at something like $9 for four of them. The next step up looks like they are rated for much more weight but come in around $7 per wheel.

So because moving my radiator unaided was tricky with a broken wheel and an ongoing desire to not drop a honking great lump of metal on myself, I shifted a few other things around. Some of them ended up in the trash others in the attic. Now I've got a bit more space to work with, and I've also been able to take a few initial measurements to figure how badly out of square my brickwork is. It's not pretty brickwork but it's at least mostly vertical, if hideously uneven. I'm wondering how close to square I can make things without having to build a big U-shaped frame to go around the bottom of the room, then wiggle it into place as best as I can.

The aggravation of working around everything makes breaking it up and throwing it out of the window look ever-more appealing....

19. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

These morning walks: straining but essential. Without them I tend to get keyed up throughout the day.
    I am accompanied by a motley crew of walkers.

RabbiKnife likes this.
  20. tango

I think I've figured out how to position my walls. I was all set to drop quite a few $$$ on a funky laser level doodad but then found a generic Chinese knockoff on Amazon for less than $50. Sure, it will probably break if I drop it and might decide to stop working if I stare too aggressively at it, but I don't have very high requirements of it. And if it breaks I can buy another one, and another, and another, and still be better off compared to buying a named brand version.