Whatcha doin????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrustGzus, Aug 16, 2018.

1. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I listen to the music I grew up with on the radio all the time. My daughter has been humming Elton John for a couple weeks as well.

Athanasius likes this.
  2. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

There is the Cloudwalker corollary of the old expression. "The best laid plans of mice and men more often than not go haywire."

tango likes this.
  3. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

Most things relating to my house project take longer than I expected, usually by virtue of being more complex than I expected but sometimes because I run out of expertise and/or motivation and need to top it up.

4. tango

Most of the music I listen to dates back to the 90s or earlier. I never really got into more modern music.

Athanasius likes this.
  5. tango

I got another section of wall pulled down. Part way through I figured the sequencing was all off because my wife only cleaned up the area around my work space yesterday. So I pulled down my wall and made sure to clean up the debris once I was done. Now I just need to figure out how to cut laths off in a tight corner. An oscillating blade would do it in theory but they take forever to cut laths that are very old and very dry, and tend to dull fast enough that they really aren't suited to the job. I have a cutting wheel for my angle grinder that's designed to cut metal, so I'll see if that will do it. If that doesn't work I'm only out a couple of bucks, and can try a heavy duty oscillating blade in a few days when they go on sale at the local hardware store.

In unrelated news a rain shower provided a handy opportunity to cool off during today's run.

6. tango

Aaaaand a little more normality returns. I noticed the long hose I put on the vacuum separator in the attic will fit on the bigger and better separator in the basement, so I could use it to clean up a load of general debris rather than hauling a shop vac and smaller separator around. It worked pretty well, although I had to run downstairs a couple of times to clear blockages. It's a side-effect of having a hose with a narrower barbed fitting stuck in the end - every once in a while something will fit in the end of the hose but not go through the adapter that connects it to the separator.

Anyway, now a pile of that is cleared away and some more stuff is put back where it was before the air conditioning guys came in and needed it all moved out so they could fit ducts and other lovely stuff. Another bonus is that my smaller hand cart is free, now it doesn't have a filing cabinet resting on it, so I can use it to haul more soundproofing material upstairs into my primary work room.

The work is slow but reasonably steady, so hopefully we can make some decent steps forward soon.

7. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Pressure washing and washing windows inside and out for the last two weekends. I have to go back to work to get some rest.

man’s did I mention I’ve had just about enough of extension ladders

8. tango

I get tired of working on ladders. The next piece of soundproofing I need to do involves perching on a ladder where one end is resting on a temporary floor and the other is closer to a hole in the floorboards than I'm entirely happy with. While on the ladder I get to screw soundproofing vinyl to the ceiling joists. tt's always interesting to see how many screws end up holding vinyl to the ceiling and how many end up scattered across the floor.

9. Cloudwalker

I'm going to be singing The Lord's Prayer on Sunday for Father's Day

tango likes this.
  10. RabbiKnife

The one everyone sings at weddings?
    Or the rockin' nuns from about 1973?

I've done the "wedding one" as a congregational hymn several times. Everybody knows it and can sing along. Just have to make sure its in a low enough key.

11. Cloudwalker

The Malotte. The traditional version. With cd accompaniment

12. tango

Finally overcame a bit of a mental block and got some more sound proofing fitted. It's a weird part of the house where the ceiling joists change direction but where it was once an external corner there are odd angled things all over the place. I now have a back box fitted for a light, sound proofing fitted around the back box (cutting a 4" hole to align with a back box is always an interesting task), and now I'm left with an odd-shaped corner to fill and then I can do ome more wall building.

I think I'm going to have to replace a section of floor. I'm trying to figure out if I can replce a section of floor or if this is going to morph into a much larger project that ends up replacing the floor in the landing and the adjacent bedroom and bathroom. I'm really hoping I can get away with only replacing about 30-40 square feet of floor because if I can't it potentially means pulling down more walls than I really want to deal with right now, as well as the expensive of more like 250 square feet of flooring, paired with the additional fun challenge of trying to figure out what to do with all the stuff that's currently in the bedroom that will need to be moved if I replace the whole floor.

For now I'm going to hope I can resolve the splintered parts of the floor by holling them out a bit with my belt sander so it's smooth, then filling the dimples with a paste made of sawdust and lacquer. If nothing else it means I can still truthfully say that the flooring is original. That in itself seems to push heavily towards keeping stuff.

Also enjoying the combination of a new blender and the chance to buy fresh fruit from local farms. If you buy it from the grocery store you have no way of knowing how long it's been sitting around. If you buy it from the local farm and want to know how fresh it is, chances are this morning it was still on the plant. It's remarkable what a difference it makes.

13. RabbiKnife

The garden is just starting to produce

we’ve had lettuce for about 7 weeks
    Snow peas just started
    Yellow squash
    A few early tomatoes
    Collard greens

there is nothing like eating a fresh snow pea 2 seconds after it comes off the vine

14. tango

I'd rate eating a strawberry or a raspberry immediately after picking it pretty highly. I remember as a teenager earning some extra pocket money working at the local pick-your-own fruit farm where you could pick your fruit for one price or buy pre-picked fruit for a slightly higher price. They hired teenagers to pick the fruit, and it was kinda-sorta-accepted that part of the payment was that you got to eat some fruit as you harvested.

RabbiKnife likes this.
  15. tango

Incidentally, there are some great recipes for cooking kale if you ever decide to grow that. The best way to cook it is with oil, lots of oil. It helps lubricate it, which makes it easier to scrape off your plate and into the trash.

RabbiKnife likes this.
  16. RabbiKnife

I use it for 60 grit sanding disks

tango likes this.
  17. tango

I found a bag of frozen raspberries in the freezer. That means I can use the frozen ones for smoothies and enjoy the fresh ones as they are.

RabbiKnife likes this.
  18. Cloudwalker

Saturday afternoon is my brother in laws funeral.

19. Cloudwalker

Hope everyone had a fun 4th.

20. tango

Hm. Realised I haven't been through in a while.

More fun with walls today. Combining speed repeats on this morning's run with building a wall this afternoon was an interesting combo. I got the new wall between the bedroom under construction and the stairs framed, and some holes drilled through the studs so I can run cables for power sockets. Now I just need to decide where to put the sockets and get some more back boxes so I can put them in place and run some wiring. I also need to figure out exactly where I want the door to go, and what I'm doing with the floor immediately outside the door. It needs to be replaced with something, I just need to figure out what that something is and how to make it all look nice.

I think I can get away with leaving the adjacent wall where it is. I had thought I'd need to move it but I have around 43 inches of space available. I need about 3 inches for wall studs and drywall, which still gives me 40 inches of space to fit a 34-inch wide door. I think that will be enough to build a useful frame around the door so it doesn't look like I squeezed a door into the smallest imaginable space.