Whatcha doin????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrustGzus, Aug 16, 2018.

1. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Packing + Out of region moving = Torment.

2. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

Fixed that for you...

ProDeo and IMINXTC like this.
  3. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

John Wick 4. 3 hours of the best stuff John Wick does.

4. tango

I got as much of my wiring work as I can for now. That essentially means I got a new light backbox installed and wired, and a piece of 12ga cable that fed a switch replaced with a piece of 14ga. I got another piece of soundproofing on the ceiling, with a hole made for the new 14ga wire to pass through it. I've got another piece of soundproofing material cut ready to install but decided to break for dinner instead. Maybe I'll get that fitted tomorrow. This one will need a hole cut for the new backbox and another hole for the switching cable to pass through. It would be a whole lot easier if I could get at everything from above but that would mean ripping up a load more of the attic floor, and I really don't want the expense of replacing the floor. If it comes up it won't go back down easily because whoever installed it used construction grade nails, so everything in sight splinters when they are pulled out.

Once the rest of the soundproofing is hung I can start framing new stud walls, which will also involve a little fiddly positioning of top bars so I can drill holes for the cables to pass through them. I can probably make a start on framing now but I'd rather finish the soundproofing and do it all at once, or at least do as much as I can before I run out of framing lumber.

5. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

Saturday was the first rehearsal of The Living Last Supper. It is shaping up to be a very moving show. Most of the actors, particularly Christ anf Judas, are great. We have another rehearsal this afternoon.

6. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

"Camping" in Newport Beach, CA, for the last few days. Our trailer is probably depreciating every other RV within 100 metres of us just by association.
    So far, Disneyland has been visited, went to a Clippers game yesterday (they got killed), and off to Universal Studios tomorrow. Looking to a less intense day today by checking out a beach.
    You just can't quite grasp the size of the LA region from looking at a map. The distances to anywhere is ridiculous.

IMINXTC likes this.
  7. Cloudwalker

Rehearsal went great. There are several scenes that come close to bringing me to tears. The chief among them is at the end. All the disciples are coming up and hugging Christ and leaving the stage. I, James, am the last and right behind Simon the zealot. When Simon approaches Christ he places his sword at Jesus's feet. Christ then raises him up and hugs him. It almost brings me to tears every time. Then add to that I hug him next. A very emotional time.

8. tango

The rest of the soundproofing is fitted to the ceiling, with holes drilled and cables fed through holes. Next up is the outside wall. I still haven't quite figured out how I'm going to do that bit, although I've got a few ideas. I don't need to do much of it before it makes sense to start framing the new stud walls. It's already getting a bit tedious with so many tools in the room, and having to move them around to make room to work. THe biggest tool is the miter saw, but I can't be moving that out of the way because I need it to cut the studs to length so I can frame the walls. Once that's done maybe I can shift it out of the way.

9. tango

Running again today. I planned a long easy run but felt strong so pushed the pace a little and ended up shaving a couple of minutes off my personal best.

Then my wife and I might have accidentally gone to a local brewpub. I'm not sure how that happened.

10. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

The joys of fishing an ethernet cable from the basement to upstairs so that I could see my security cameras on an app on my phone….

we will not discuss the building techniques of the person that built that wall….

but after a bit of time, wire fished and everything works great without another rip to the hardware store, without cursing. And without wifey saying “I told you so” even once!

tango likes this.
  11. tango

Ah yes, fishing wires through walls. A tedious task that often requires the liberal application of expletives to get it to work.

What's really fun is when you've got to combine vertical and horizontal runs, and when you're using a flatter cable that can twist. Once it twists, good luck pulling it through any holes.

I notice you didn't mention your wire-pulling skills until I don't need any more help pulling wires in my house :p

12. Cloudwalker

2 more rehearsals them Thursday The Living Last Supper is preformed. It promises to be a very moving show with not a dry eye in the house by the end. That includes the cast. My particular emotional drain is at the end. One by one each of the disciples come forward to hug Christ. I am the last and am right behind Simon the Zelot. Simon pulls out his sword and offers it to Jesus and lays it at his feet. Then Jesus pulls him to his feet and hugs him. A very moving scene. I have trouble keeping it together.

13. tango

Got the joints between my insulation panels and wall studs all taped up, and got a 4-foot strip of soundproofing material across the external wall of the room, at floor level. I need to figure out how best to run the material across the top of the wall. It's slightly annoying because the material is nominally 48" wide (actually about 47.75" wide) and the height of the wall is about 97". In other words, two strips of material, one perfectly aligned over the other, would still leave a big enough gap that I'd need to fill it. And I really don't want to do with cutting 1" strips of this stuff, it's a real drag to work with. I'm probably going to hang vertical strips of it so I can work with whatever I have, and cut the slightly odd angles once it's hung as I need to.

Then for an encore I took the plumbing under the bathroom sink apart to clear a blockage. That was easier than I expected it was going to be, although taking that apart and reassembling it is always a royal pain in the rear. At least now it's clear...

14. RabbiKnife

Oops… presumably innocent oversight

biggest problem was that there was a random horizontal support that had no businesss being there

15. tango

Speculation, your honor.... :p

Those are always fun.

I had some different forms of fun while trying to get my cables from attic to basement. Drilling a hole from the basement upwards through the floor into a wall cavity kept hitting obstructions. It turned out I had over an inch of accumulated plaster on the floor in the middle of the wall, from when the wall was made. I only found that when I took out a section at the bottom of the wall to figure what was going on, and ended up using a stone chisel to break it up so I could get through.

Since then I've accumulated something of a collection of extension bits, so now at a push I can drill a hole nearly three feet deep (or three feet into a cavity) if I really need to. And the extension bits will stack, so if I need anything longer I can get another extension....

16. Cloudwalker

One last rehersal then the performance. Tonight is the last rehearsal for The Living Last Supper. Tomorrow we have off then Thursday we preform it.

17. RabbiKnife

Just don't eat before the show.

You won't be hungry.

I was in a LLS probably 25 years ago. It was a blast.

18. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

Back in Canuckistan. Still one more day or travel to get home.

IMINXTC and RabbiKnife like this.
  19. RabbiKnife

Time to stop for some moose burger, eh?

You should kiss the ground in BC -- you just escaped the People's Republik of Californication, Oregan (aka NoCal) and Washington DC West...

20. Cloudwalker

Last night was dress rehearsal for The Living Last Supper. I always feel a bit drained, and exilerated. It is increasingly like I am actually one of the disciples at the actual last supper. That is especially true of the finali. In the finali, one at a time, each of the disciples come forward and hugs Christ. I am the last one to come forward so I get to watch each one come up. Each one a bit different. John knerls on front of Christ, who raises him up and hugs him. Most moving for me is Simon the Zealot. He draws his sword, offers it to Christ, then lays it at his feet. I come forward, touch Christ on the shoulder. He pulls me in to a hug. Then I leave the stage with Simon. The cast is going to line up outside the exits at the end to greet people as they leave.