Whatcha doin????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrustGzus, Aug 16, 2018.

1. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

Both in my case.

2. Liquid Tension

Liquid Tension No, it's NOT a fish!!!

Got an interesting one here. On Sunday, a little while after I got home from work, around 8:30 am, I was sitting at the computer desk. I fell a jolt strong enough that it shook the house....almost like someone drove into the side of the house. My first thought, after saying "what the hell", was earthquake. It was strong enough, and apparently loud enough as my Mom heard a "boom" and woke her up. She came out and asked what that was, and because of the boom, was worried about the gas line (we have a gas stove and heater). Went around the house, nothing. Water heater, good. No gas smell.

After a few minutes checking the house, I went back upstairs. Heard sirens and looked out the kitchen and see smoke about a mile away. Figured perhaps something happened there that caused the boom and jolt.

The strange thing is that, on Facebook, where anyone can find out anything at any time........nothing. Checked out USGS, no earthquake. No news source covered anything about any sort of explosion.

3 days later, I'm still perplexed. I have zero explanation for what happened.

3. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

I'm almost tempted to try and log in over there to see how much counter-trolling can be done before the ban stick is waved.

4. tango

LT, your story reminds me of the time I was sitting in the pub where I used to live. The pub was right next to the station. Anyway, a couple of police cars with lights and sirens came by and stopped nearby. I didn't see where the officers went. Then came another police car, then fire engines, then ambulances, then more police, then more ambulances. The number of emergency vehicles coming through, you'd think they were cleaning up after some kind of massacre. All the police would say was that there had been "an incident". An incident that apparently required every emergency responder for miles around to descend on the place.

Whatever the incident was it didn't even make a ripple in the news. Not even a mention despite searching to find out what might have happened.

5. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Ask John777...

6. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I think the black helicopters are the ones that suppress everything.

7. Liquid Tension

Liquid Tension No, it's NOT a fish!!!

I can imagine that that left everyone scratching their heads. I know I'm still scratching mine.

8. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Me too. Along with several others of that ilk.

9. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

Finally switched from IE to Firefox, what a blessing....

TrustGzus likes this.
  10. tango

It's getting more tempting to start trolling them.

11. tango

Another interesting twist on the house front. I've got a slow leak from the tank of one of the toilets. I'd expect it to be an easy job - it looks like the fill valve has failed so all I need to do is turn off the stop valve beside the toilet and replace the fill valve. Except the stop valve doesn't actually stop anything any more, and is in an extremely confined space so it's hard to get at. I found the next valve along the pipework that turns off the failed valve, only to find that it also turns off the cold water to the shower. So if I start this job I don't have a shower until it's done. No pressure or anything....

12. tango

I couldn't replace the valve I wanted to replace because it's in such a confined space I couldn't get enough leverage to disconnect it from the pipe. But I did get the toilet valve replaced and set up, and eight hours on there is no more dripping on the floor. So at least that's one job ticked off.

I also paid the hardware store a visit - I've got a couple of copper pipes not particularly well installed in the basement, that are a bit saggy under their own weight. So I got some cheap pipe clips and screwed them to the ceiling joists, to stop them snagging on one of my doors.

13. tango

Well, 24 hours on and there is no water in the drip tray I left under the previously leaking toilet tank. So thus endeth the age of the leaks, and there was much rejoicing.

14. RabbiKnife

For verily, the swooping Tango hath removed the leak tray, and there was great rejoicing.

But lo, the enemy of the Tango can forth in the night and created a microscopic pinhole in the teflon tape, and alas, the valve poured forth leakage.

This is how the story would end if I was writing it about myself....

15. tango

Knowing this house, there's a chance it may still end that way.... and there are two other toilets to oblige if this one doesn't.

16. RabbiKnife

Actually, I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I'm doing year end analysis and first quarter planning before I get out of here for twelve, count them 12 glorious days....

In addition to my estate planning and real estate work, I'm lead counsel in 35 active lawsuits...

I've already warned our associates...

17. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

I’m eating a biscuit.

18. RabbiKnife

Mmmmmmmmmmm hmmmm. I like biskis and mustard. Mmmmmm hmmmmmmmmm. And french fried potaters. Hmmmm mmmmm.

19. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

Tacos tonight.

20. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

The best thing to eat with biscuits is gravy. Sausage gravy is best, but whatever you have.