Whatcha doin????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrustGzus, Aug 16, 2018.

1. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

More wrecking for me.

The closet I plan to divide into two is now emptied of everything that was in it, the shelves and supports are removed along with the baseboards, and most of the walls. I've got one wall completely pulled down, another one mostly pulled down, and the plaster pulled down from the ceiling. I also have about 500lb of plaster and concrete bagged up, and I'm debating whether to feed it out a bag at a time to the garbage service (it would take about three months to be rid of it all) or take it to the landfill.

The landfill option means I'm rid of it now but also means I need to haul 500lb of dusty trash into my car, drive to the landfill and pay them. The garbage service won't cost me any extra money but means having the bags floating about for that much longer.

The next steps are to pull down the laths from the ceiling, gather up the copious quantities of cellulose insulation that would rain down upon me in the process, replace it with fiberglass, fit a new light to the section that's going to be the new closet, rejig the wall studs to create a new door frame and a division between the two halves of the closet, and fit soundproofing sheets to the exterior wall and across the ceilings. Then I can get someone in to do the drywall work. I don't feel like doing that in a confined space.

2. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

Got COVID.

3. tango

Got a run in yesterday while my wife was at a fitness class, and another one in today while she was out with friends. Today is her birthday so we went out for dinner, which was very nice.

4. tango

Not a serious case I hope!

5. tango

Today's task was burning. A big pile of laths from an upstairs closet, which I threw out of the window onto a tarp and carried them to the back to burn them. I also burned some of the laths stacked up on the other half and a few ceiling tiles. There are still more laths but my burn barrel was full and I was already pushing past the time I'm supposed to be burning round here.

Last night I got my shiny new SSD configured. Now I'm copying 750GB of data onto it. Once that is done I can physically fit it to the laptop. When I bought the laptop I had a 1TB drive in it, which was as big a drive as you could get in 2.5". Once I'm done it will have a 4TB SSD and a 512GB mSATA as a backup boot device.

6. teddyv

No. Just like a cold.

tango and IMINXTC like this.
  7. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

I have a replacement battery for my laptop but am afraid to even open up the case.

8. tango

On my laptop the battery is held in place with a couple of clips. You can change the battery without removing a single screw.

Do you know what you need to do, even if you're not entirely sure of yourself doing it? One key thing is to avoid static electricity. On the back of my bench in the basement I have an angled piece of aluminum with a piece of 12ga wire connecting it to a nearby socket. The socket is mounted in a metal box which is grounded, so I connected the screw holding the front plate on to the metal strip on my bench. Then I can either touch the strip to discharge static or, if I'm working on something potentially sensitive like a laptop or similar, I wear a wrist strap that keeps me permanently connected to it.

It's also worth making sure you have something you can lay screws out on so you know where they came from and in what sequence. I helped a friend upgrade his laptop and all the screws that came out of the back were the same diameter and length. My wife's laptop has a particular part held in place by two screws - one black and one silver. They are the same diameter and the same thread pitch but one is 1mm longer than the other. When taking them out it's good to lay them out so it's clear which one goes back where. That avoids playing fun games of "guess which screw is in the wrong place" when you find a screw that's just very marginally too long.

IMINXTC likes this.
  9. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Got it. Thanks!

10. tango

A bit more wrecking today. I pulled the ceiling in the closet down, which means another stack of laths and another cleanup of a load of cellulose that came down. Then some more general cleaning up before pulling down another part of the wall and fitting fiberglass into the ceiling cavity.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get out and burn another big pile of laths. Perhaps I can get the rest of them burned in a single hit. I took to cutting them into small pieces with my circular saw, which meant I could stack them in the burn barrel more easily, which in turn meant I could get more pieces in there without having to deal with burning embers falling out of the sides.

11. tango

I managed to get all my laths burned. When I started I decided not to empty the burn barrel first, and came to regret the decision. When I had a bin full to the brim of glowing embers and had to stack pieces on top, wait for more material to burn down and collapse into the barrel and then stack more pieces on the top, I wished I'd dumped out the 12 inches or so of ashes I started out with. Still, I got all the laths cut up and burned.

But now I have a space where one pile of laths used to be and a big space where the larger pile of laths used to be. I need to clean up some of the related mess - sawdust, scraps of cellulose etc that stuck to the laths - and then I'll be good to go. Next up is figuring how to remove a few studs from a stud wall and rearrange them to make a door frame. This could be fun...

12. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Watching Depp v Heard.

13. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Stranger than fiction.

14. Athanasius

Depp's legal team have been wrecking face so far. It'll be interesting to see how Dr Hughes does on rebuttal today, as her testimony yesterday was, IMO, an obvious hatchet job.

15. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Heard is in deep skubalon from the brief excerpts I've read.

16. Athanasius

The rebuttal has been questionable so far (not awful, but just odd), but since I'm thinking that I'm wondering if it's some broader legal strategy. But yeah, this is Ms Heard's reputation destroyed even if Depp loses, and skubalon literally, indeed.

17. Athanasius

Never mind that was an awful cross. I should have gone into law just so I could argue with people.

18. Athanasius

What Picard is about to do to Q is the worst sin in the history of humanity including the original sin. Wonder no more what the unforgivable sin is, for Kurtzman has shown us.

19. teddyv

I don't know if you pay attention to RedLetter media but Picard basically broke one of these guys.

20. Athanasius

I can believe it. I'll check out what they were saying, but it's basically a dead corpse to me now.