Whatcha doin????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrustGzus, Aug 16, 2018.

1. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

I'll bet the addition of some wolves would change the no hunting policy pretty fast, even if only in the context of asking professionals to come in and see to it.

2. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

For those who use the Fahrenheit scale that is 26.6° to 64.4°

3. tango

Feeling really sluggish today. I still need to finish some tax forms but thus far have struggled to clear my head enough to juggle numbers.

4. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

Finally getting the winter tires off the truck.

5. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Unrelenting, icy wind. Dry conditions, however.
    Wolves do help here, but besieged ranchers shoot them.

6. Cloudwalker

That's why I have mine done by a professional. The same company have done mine for years. This year they told me I didn't earn enough to even file. So It didn't cost me

7. teddyv

We've been using an online tax preparation service for the last several years. It's pretty neat because it will ask questions and then assign the various correct forms to be filled out. It will regularly check the various deductions and write-offs and assign them to me or my wife, depending on the best use of them. I think it still runs on donations, or else it's like $25 per filing. Got a big refund this year, but mainly due to my wife's medical issues.

I do my corporate taxes through an accountant however, although it's probably simple enough to do myself.

8. tango

The forms are done. It was quicker than I expected.

I don't want to pay someone to do it, largely because it means I have to work to their timetable and also it means that they need to know more than I really want them to know about income, assets, cashflows etc. For good measure I can't imagine the price is going to go down any when they hear things like "foreign income".

The first time I needed to file a federal return I used online software but couldn't get it to calculate depreciation the way I needed it to (it was a bit messy, given the transition from not filing the return to filing it, so I can't blame the software for not having an obvious way to handle an unusual situation), so I used it to figure out which forms were required and then filled them by hand. Now just about all the depreciation has worked its way through I might go back to using the software... it will depend on how much it costs.

9. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Lay-off and new job was like getting a week vacation and unemployment insurance meant no break in income.

10. teddyv

Just got penciled in for a geo job in June.

11. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

We interrupt this looming spring with 3" of wet snow, freezing conditions and biting wind.
    Try again tomorrow.

12. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Yuck.

Sunny, blue skies, relatively low humidity, 72 degrees yesterday.
    Oh, and did I mention it is raining yellow pine pollen?

13. tango

Looks sunny today so hopefully I can get another nice walk in. I need to get into town to get some more shoes - with the amount of walking I've been doing lately I wear through the tread on a pair of sneakers within six months or so. I think I started using my current pair around November and they already have somewhere north of 600 miles on them, according to my step tracker. That doesn't include lower level walking stuff when I don't specifically log what I'm doing as "an activity", so things like walking up and down when pushing the lawnmower, walking to the grocery store with visitors at a leisurely pace etc, aren't included in that figure.

14. Cloudwalker

I have to admit that I like snow........On the mountains where it belongs

RabbiKnife and IMINXTC like this.
  15. tango

I like snow in my photographs, where I can observe and admire with no obligation to shovel it. I like it less on my driveway.

16. teddyv

Come on.... skiing is great!

17. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Let's see.

1. Strap sticks on feet, slide off of side of mountain on frozen dihydrogen oxide with a friction coefficient of zilch, spend the day cold wet and dodging pine trees.
    or
    2. sit in hot tub all day drinking a warming beverage and watch other people dressed like the Michelin Man strap sticks on feet, slide off of side of mountain on frozen dihydrogen oxide with a friction coefficient of zilch, spend the day cold wet and dodging pine trees.

Um, well, I'll take two!

I've never lived anywhere with enough snow to ski, so I must not pass judgment on those who do!

18. tango

Sounds like golf.... you hit the ball as hard as you can and then spend time looking for it so you can hit it again. It seems a bit like throwing sticks to a dog when you don't have a dog and just have to go and get the stick. Or like mailing your shoes across the state and spending the day driving to get them back again.

19. teddyv

I don't know what you are planning to wear to be cold and wet! I admit, when the wind starts blowing at +30mph with an ambient temperature of < -10°C, then it can get a bit cold. But we mostly cross-country ski, which is more work (at least in a different sense) than downhill.
    The point of the hot-tub is for après-ski. It's even better then.

20. Cloudwalker

I've lived in an area that had enough snow to ski but no hills big enough nor enough open space.