Whatcha doin????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrustGzus, Aug 16, 2018.

1. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

I'm sitting in my recliner, with my house guests upstairs packing their bags. Sad to see them go, we've had a really good time with them.

2. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Gave my high-end laptop to my gaming nephew. Collect stuff when out and about. Including both digital camera and phone, then organize at the workstation which I love.
    2 Monitors is very helpful for AutoCad and other programs, including most Adobe stuff, and switching between towers is fun.
    Consider desktop/workstation my main hobby. Run sound through a 500 watt stereo.

3. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Since we're talking about setups...

Laptop:

15" MBP (2017)
    1x 34" 3440x1440p display
    2x 25" 2560x1440p displays
    (3 total displays)

I/O:

Logitech g900 (mouse)
    Logitech g502 (mouse)
    Varmilo CYMK (mechanical keyboard; Cherry, blue)
    Logitech G810 (mechanical keyboard; Romer-G switches)
    Corsair Strafe Silent (mechanical keyboard; Cherry, silent)
    I have a Ducky Shine 5 as well (also a mechanical keyboard with blue Cherry switches), but my wife is using that

Desktop:

The desktop is a bit older now, but rocks an i7 4790k + GTX 1080, 32GB RAM, Samsung SSDs, etc. (it was my main workstation before the MBP showed up).

I had a set of Edifier bookshelf speakers, but those are in another room. The sound setup now is...

Headphones:

AKG K712 (currently in for repair. There's a chance I won't get these back, in which case, I'll upgrade to HD 660s)
    HD 598
    DT 990 250Ohm

IEMs:

SE 215 for my wife, and SE 215 LTE (blue) for me
    Fiio F9 Pro
    Fiio FH5

Internet connection is 350 down, 20 up (lame).

4. tango

For a while the main advantage of a desktop was that you could load it with storage. Now you can get external USB drives so cheaply, network attached storage etc, the laptop claws some of it back. If you truly need a beast of a machine you may need a desktop but even then laptops are getting silly compared to not that long ago.

My laptop has a 15" full HDMI screen, 16GB of RAM and a 1TB HDD. Not much to shout about these days but it dates back to 2011. I've seen laptops with 64GB of memory and haven't even been looking much for the last couple of years.

5. Athanasius

Desktop's these days are a niche use-case:

- Gaming
    - Heavy applications use that aren't suitable for a mobile load
    - Cheaper, easier to maintain and upgrade, etc. (and I would say that a cheaper desktop > a cheaper laptop)

Otherwise, if you get a laptop and dock it, it does just fine. Graphics is really the only area of lag.

6. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

Here’s something different. I’m at work. Day 9 in a row. Twelve hours on the schedule.

7. tango

If you really don't envisage wanting to take it with you, chances are a desktop still makes some sense. It seems to me you get more computer for the same money in a desktop.

With the way air travel is getting ever-sillier at security checkpoints I'm increasingly thinking of replacing my laptop with a monster desktop when it's time, and having one of those ultra small computers that's no bigger than a modest hardback or a laptop cheap enough to be disposable to travel with, heavily encrypted in case it does end up in the hold. The ultra small computer would be handy because the entirety of its storage could be an SD card that would stay with me.

8. Athanasius

I prefer powerhouses so I'll probably never buy a laptop over a desktop with my own money -- I'm with you on the above!

9. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I suppose one could set up a desktop like a server and sync files with a laptop. Not my area of expertise or anything though.

10. Athanasius

You could also use a cloud storage service (Google Drive, OneDrive, Box, etc.). Much easier than running your own server ;) (Although, you could set up something with NextCloud for that, but redundancy is a killer.)

11. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Catching up on laundry and some threads. Our washing machine broke about 2 weeks ago. We bought a new one, but had to wait for it to be delivered. But, after reading Joe's thread, I will NOT complain.

TrustGzus likes this.
  12. tango

You can sync files but it gets tedious if there's a lot to sync. The last time I tried doing that sort of thing I ended up copying something like 500GB of data and suffice to say it took a while.

13. tango

Taking mental stock of what needs to be done in the next couple of days. Had house guests for a while and am very sad to have to say goodbye to them. Now normal life resumes, with a bit of catching up to be done. Not least I get to break more of my house having taken several days off.

14. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Well. At least you did get a little break. From the breaking.

15. tango

Taking a break from the breaking was certainly a good break. Curiously, my friend is contemplating a sabbatical from his job and loosely considering spending more time with us, which might include giving me some help.

TrustGzus likes this.
  16. Liquid Tension

Liquid Tension No, it's NOT a fish!!!

:D:D:D

פNIʞƎƎS likes this.
  17. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Wife and I put up another (and the last) beadboard ceiling at the house on the river.

18. tango

Really struggling to get my mojo back. Stuff to do but serously lacking in the motivation department.

19. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Whoa!!! Rarely watch TV but got a new satellite hookup for family visitors bundled with the DSL.
    Was gripped by this episode featuring a frightening cabal of filthy-rich, self-perpetuating, big-mouth cutthroats, racked by sexual improprieties, corruption, dark international intrigue and stupendous bombast.
    Then realized it was "This week in Washington."
    Back to the trusted Kindle:rolleyes:

20. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream