What is holiness?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by devilslayer365, Mar 20, 2017.

1. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I know the Bible says that we are to be holy because God is holy. What exactly does that mean, though? If it requires that we never sin again, then none of us is holy.

2. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Not sure how to answer this, but I would say that God would not ask of us something that we are incapable of doing. Just a thought.

3. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

Jesus tells us to be perfect in Matthew 5:48.

4. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

So, what is "holy" and what is "perfect?"

5. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

So, on a Christian website with numerous people who've been Christians longer than I have, nobody knows what holiness is? ???

6. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

What do you think it is?

7. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Honestly, I think it's an unattainable goal. One that we're supposed to strive towards, but one that can't really be attained. Living a sinless life.

8. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

My view: follow Jesus' example, live the life He expects us to live, and holiness will follow eventually. We'll screw it up our entire lives, but a life lived in pursuit of holiness is better than one lived without. It's the pursuit of happiness -- the ancient Greek version, not the American bastardization.

9. פNIʞƎƎS

Just a thought here.
    Doesn't the word Holy, in the original Greek, (assuming this question is based on the NT), mean to be separated or set apart?
    So looking at it what that in mind, holiness would entail separating oneself from the world and becoming an instrument that is set apart for God's purpose.

10. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Holiness is easy.

Think of what I want to do, and do the opposite.

11. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I thought that would be 'consecrated' but they are almost synonymous.

12. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

That's how I was told in my baby in Christ period and still hold that view. Same with sin, I was told sin means missing the goal, missing the goal of God. Got that from the material of the Navigators and I see they stil exist.

13. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

Navigators has always put out good stuff.

14. פNIʞƎƎS

I love Navigators. It's what I'm currently using in my 3 Small Groups.

15. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Ok, but when God says, "Be holy, for I am holy," does that mean He seriously expects us not to ever sin again? Does He seriously believe that's even possible for us to do? I'm not even just referring to outward actions. I'm also talking about in regards to what we say and, even more difficult to control, what we think in our heads. Seems to me if we are able to reach a state of complete holiness, which would include complete sinlessness, Jesus wouldn't have needed to die on a cross for us.

16. פNIʞƎƎS

Is there a particular scripture you're referring to? I just wanted to use that verse you mentioned to see if I can look into it a little more and perhaps give you an informed answer.

17. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

I suppose 1 John 1 will do.

8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

18. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

It's written in a couple places that I'm aware of, Leviticus 11:44 and 1 Peter 1:16.

19. פNIʞƎƎS

So for a little more context I'm posting 1 Peter 1:13-21

13 Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, 15 but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; 16 because it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”

17 If you address as Father the One who impartially judges according to each one’s work, conduct yourselves in fear during the time of your stay on earth; 18 knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, 19 but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ. 20 For He was foreknown before the foundation of the world, but has appeared in these last times for the sake of you 21 who through Him are believers in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.

I don't like to just make an analysis on one stand alone verse. I think after reading this section, I come to the same conclusion that I came to in my first reply. To be Holy is to be dedicated to God rather than to our former lusts. The things of the world. It's realizing that we've been redeemed for a purpose greater than ourselves.

20. Dani

Dani You're probably fine.

Why do people believe that not sinning is difficult/impossible for someone who truly desires to imitate Christ and live a life purged from an evil conscience, in partnership with the Holy Spirit?

I'm honestly baffled by this kind of mindset that tells us that living consistently free from evil conduct (i.e. sin) is impossible, when that's not what Scripture teaches.

Why would God command us to do something we can't actually do? That's not His pattern anyplace in Scripture as far as I can tell.

Why would God bother to purge our conscience from evil, and empower us with His Spirit, if it wasn't possible for us to actually keep our conscience clean and free?

Why would Hebrews 2:18 tell us that Jesus underwent all common temptations, resisted all of them, and is therefore willing and able to personally come to our aid, if that wasn't actually so?

Paul tells the Corinthians the same thing: "No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, that you may be able to endure it." (1 Cor 10:13)

Why make these statements if they have no bearing on reality??

After a certain number of years as a believer, you can reasonably be expected to have a grasp on what sin is and what it isn't, and you can also be expected to have a maturity level to not do the foolish things of yesteryear anymore.

If you teach your kids right from wrong, and they're in your household long enough, they're smart enough to learn the rules and consistently abide by them. Why would God expect anything different from His children in His household living by His rules? Eventually some fine tuning may still be required, but we should at least have the ground rules down pat, no?

John tells us that God's commandments are not burdensome. John also tells us that everyone born of God overcomes the world (i.e. the evil counter-current to God's good commandments that build strong communities when they're actually being followed). See 1 John ch. 5

I also don't see anyplace in Scripture where God convicts and punishes anyone for "thought crimes". Thoughts are not sin. Sin is always behavior, usually premeditated and actively chosen, and specifically behavior that causes harm to other people (lying, cheating, stealing, etc.) and destroys a healthy, functioning community. An evil desire (lust) may be the start of heading down a path to sin, but it's not actual sin - yet (see James 1:14).

I do believe that in fact, Jesus took our collective sin into death with Himself, to raise us to life and holiness and righteousness with Himself, in this life, right now. I also believe it's possible for us to consistently live in the light with Him, and to have a free, clean and clear conscience that's no longer bogged down by guilt and shame and that's no longer corrupt, that enables us to choose good and love and righteousness every single day.

(And if you don't believe me that consistent righteous conduct centered on love and respect in community is in fact consistently possible among believers, feel free to check this very message board and see how many of us regularly sin against each other in our interactions here (hint: we don't). See where the few times someone actually happened to step over a line, they learned & grew from that and apologized and all was forgiven and well again. Then think about your conduct towards your friends and family in the last few months. Then think about your conduct in your church or any other healthy, functioning group that you're an active part of. You'll see. You already have the proof of what God expects right here in our little group, as well as in your family interactions, friendships, and other areas of your life, all along. In theory the whole holiness/righteousness thing might seem intimidating, but in practice it's honestly not as complicated or difficult as people seem to think it is.)