What happened to Joseph?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cloudwalker, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

I have a question. What happened to Joseph? He is obviously there for the birth. And he is there when Jesus is 12 and is left behind in Jerusalem. He is mentioned when Jesus ministers in Nazareth but it isn't clear if he is actually there. And he isn't mentioned when Jesus's family comes to get him because they think he's crazy. And he isn't in the picture at the cross. So what happened to him, and when?

The reason I am asking is I am writing a book retailing the gospel story through the eyes of one person. The person I am using is the Innkeeper of the inn in Bethlehem where Christ was born. I have decided to also make him Matthias (the man chosen to replace Judas). That will give me an in to most of the events. Currently I have the 1st chapter written. It covers the birth up until the slaughter of the innocents. The next chapter will take place at Cana where he again connects with Christ. During this time I will catch up with things that happened in the meantime.

Sooner or later I am going to have to deal with Joseph being gone, hence the question. I figure the 2nd chapter might be a good time. So what happened, and when? Any suggestions?

2. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Catholic tradition -- upon which they try to build the perpetual virginity of Mary myth -- is that Joseph was an old old man and a widow when he and Mary got married and that as a result he could, um, shall we say, never consummate the marriage, but that he had children of a previous marriage and therefor you have the "brothers and sisters" of Jesus statements in the NT.

Make up the grandest story you desire -- it will be as truthful as any other fantasy about Joseph, as there is absolutely no source material anywhere.