Watcha doin???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Liquid Tension, Jun 5, 2014.

1. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

Repped him to, got this as a visitor message, thus public -

Thanks for the reps, brother. I'm just sorry it wasn't initiated while she was still with us. Let's hope this serves as the starting point for the healing of old wounds, and reconciliation between brothers in the Lord.

2. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I got the same reply.

3. TomH

TomH Well-Known Member

Thank you, since the statement was copied nearly word for word from what I'd ended up giving them.

What I'd initially hoped for was for her to be exonerated of any wrongdoing, and the Rookie was in agreement with my first draft, stating her ban was in error. Someone made a mistake. At least one, perhaps more had a problem with that. They weren't willing to admit a wrongdoing.
    The best they would offer is a pardon. Virginia was guilty, and the lifetime ban was reduced to time served. How kind of them.
    The Rookie agreed that my ban didn't follow procedures and shouldn't have happened. The only thing different about Virginia ban is I wanted that statement applied to Virginia,BUT I wanted it to be stated publically, not just to the closed doors of C2M.

The fight is far from over!!!

4. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

Oil-fired furnace in the basement, with pipework that has evolved over the years from a gravity driven system to a pump driven system now. It's weird to see a short section of big pipe become a section of smaller pipe that then becomes smaller still. Some day I want to get rid of a load of the old metal piping. It's fully functional, it's just at head height in some fairly inopportune places.

IMINXTC likes this.
  5. teddyv

6. tango

Today's housey excitement...

Two radators disconnected and removed, put elsewhere out of the way. Open ends wedged with rolled up paper towels to keep the crud out. Exposed pipes capped except for one which is wedged with paper towel (the hardware store only had three caps and I needed four. Oh well...

Two window trims removed. One of the windows had a clearly visibly air gap all the way underneath it. I'm becoming more unimpressed with the job the window fitter did - he charged $50 per window to fit them and didn't even bother to put caulking around them. So I put a load of caulking all around one window. I would have put more around the other window but ran out of cauling. Off to the hardware store (again) tomorrow.

I also got a socket in the baseboard disconnected, the baseboard removed, and the socket reconnected. It's in a plastic back box that's resting on the floor so I don't lose a working socket, but for now it's what there is. When I pull more of the baseboard off I'm going to lose working sockets, so need to make sure I have at least one that still works.

7. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

8. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

Was even in the news here.

9. teddyv

Yup. I'm actually becoming convinced in only two days that nothing has changed, nor will it.

10. tango

I think it would take something amazing for much to change.

11. TomH

TomH Well-Known Member

I'd say a change in Amazzin would help.

12. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

The polite "put-off."

13. tango

More things to break in my house today. Sadly one of them was more literal than I had hoped, although thankfully it's something relatively easy to replace.

I stripped most of another section of wall, and also finished stripping back the section of wall around an external door. I was a little reluctant to do the external door because I didn't want to compromise security but it became clear that the interior trim is nothing to do with the security. So that cleared out a load more crud, and then the section of other wall was really good fun. Much of the older parts of the house had lath-and-plaster walls but this one was so much more exciting. It was like lath-and-plaster but with concrete instead of plaster. So it doesn't just crumble when flexed, it cracks and falls to the ground in big lumps. And there were some big lumps of concrete at the very bottom, behind the baseboards.

Having stripped all that lot out I've also managed to remove an extra piece of baseboard and another elderly socket (the kind that takes 110/220v with no grounding). I'd previously been concerned about getting new cables into place but with everything removed it's remarkably easy. Now I need to get into a section that's going to be a bit awkward, fix any issues with the wall, and then I can get busy with the insulation panels I've been sitting on since January.

The thing that broke was a bit of trim. It was held in place with seven long nails despite being barely six inches by four inches. Sadly the exuberance shown by the person applying so many nails meant it didn't have much chance when it came to prying it off. It was already cracked and now it's more cracked. I can replace it with something very similar but since it's stained 100 year old oak it's likely to be tricky to get an exact match.

I added another 8 bags of rubble to my pile. I'm almost ready for another run to the landfill.

Then for a rest I fixed the garden hose which was leaking badly. I bought a complete new hose for the reel and made a new link from the tap to the reel because the old one leaked. The old hose is really quite nasty so that's going on the pile for the landfill.

14. Liquid Tension

Liquid Tension No, it's NOT a fish!!!

Just for grins and giggles I tried logging into my old account at the other forum. Still banned. lol Not a big deal. Just thought I'd try and see what happened.

15. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

This is great! After working grueling, 12 hr weekend shifts, I scale logging trucks 4 evenings a week, sitting on my backsterior and use the big-screen pc.

16. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Hmm. Just noticed that Epi is online and in C2M.

17. TomH

TomH Well-Known Member

There goes the neighborhood!

TrustGzus likes this.
  18. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

Well, Jason is on coffee. Gotta get one of the accounts going.

19. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Unless he's Epi

20. tango

Trying to figure out if cutting a 1 1/8" rabbet about 3/4" deep across the length of a piece of wood is best done with a big router bit or a planer. I have a router that I think should be man enough for the job, even if I have to take it slowly and make multiple passes, I don't have a planer. Not sure if I want to regard this as an excuse to buy a planer. Annoyingly if I'd bought one last month my local hardware store had a big sale on and I'd have got a free battery with it.

Also considering location of new outlets in the room I'm working on and how much to get reconnected for functionality pending getting everything put back together again. For now I have one socket in there that works, another socket point that's disconnected, and a third socket that for some reason is wired to a circuit in the adjacent room. I'm debating whether to wire all the sockets onto a single circuit (which will work fine, unless I need to use something big), or split it into two circuits. I only have so many circuits available and I'm not expecting to run anything big and ugly in that room but there's always a chance I'll run an air conditioner pending getting central air put in.