Unfulfilled Prophesy?

Discussion in 'Speculative Reasoning' started by The Parson, Oct 30, 2018.

1. The Parson

The Parson Your friendly neighborhood parson Staff Member

It's been said to me by several loved and esteemed brethren that Amos 8:11-12 has already been fulfilled. While researching opinions and commentaries on Amos 8:11-12, I stumbled across this little jewel from the av1611 website. https://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86

I'm now searching 19th century commentaries to see what else I can come up with. I have only just begun to search.

2. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Happy hunting!

I don't think you'll find anything that supports the idea that some future will include the wiping out of the written Word from the planet.

The Parson likes this.
  3. The Parson

You never know what you will find until you look RK!

4. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

I know there's a lot of tendency in some circles to bash the NIV or the NASB or whatever translation the person happens to dislike, usually over some particular phrase. I'm not sure that's the problem being described here. To slavishly insist on only using the KJV seems extremely narrow-minded - as I understand it the NKJV uses the same scripts as the KJV but newer methods of translation and newer English phraseology, while other translations use other scripts that have come to light since the KJV was first translated into Olde English.

On the other hand when something like The Message (which as far as I can see is a very colloquial paraphrase that doesn't even pretend to be a translation) is used exclusively some of the underlying meaning is lost. And when kooky versions like the Passion "Translation" are used something of the meaning is distorted.

I don't see a famine of God's word afflicting the land just because some people prefer to use the NIV or the NASB to the KJV. I do see how it could afflict the land if there's a widespread abandonment of actual translations in favor of paraphrases and agenda-driven versions.

Liquid Tension likes this.
  5. Liquid Tension

Liquid Tension No, it's NOT a fish!!!

Nail meet hammer.

6. The Parson

Granted, no bashing here. The opinions of the one who wrote that are absolutely anti new versions. Personally, you won't find me fighting that battle anymore. Maybe not for the reasons you might think. I'm looking at his statement "going out on a limb" that caught my eye. Although, I don't think he's really going out on a limb there. I'm reading a couple of authors who actually believed the prophecy with dual applications. I'm not so sure about that but he is making a point that if prophecy isn't literally fulfilled, it ain't prophecy. He was also saying that the prophecy of "Hosea 11:1 When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt." was dual. When Israel was freed from bondage, and when Jesus was brought out of Egypt. That's something I hadn't considered.

7. The Parson

Note: "going out on a limb", meaning that Amos 8:11-12 is asserting a still a future prophetic event.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  8. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

I got that the author of the original post was against any modern version of the Bible, I just think there's a difference between a modern translation like the NKJV/NIV/NASB etc, a modern paraphrase such as The Message, and something like the Passion "Translation" that seems to be little more than an attempt to push the NAR agenda by tweaking Scripture to appear to support it.

Cloudwalker and The Parson like this.