Technerdygeek question about routers and filters

Discussion in 'Distractions' started by tango, May 16, 2021.

1. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

I'm trying to figure out how to configure my internet service to restrict access to adult content. Until recently it was easy enough because it was just my wife and I and I figured the easiest way to not go to inappropriate sites was simply not to type their URLs into the browser.

Now we have a child living with us and the eternal question of sleepovers and the like. I've configured OpenDNS so that the router will catch stuff as long as the device in question uses the router's DHCP to look up DNS servers. The trouble is that phones and tablets don't seem to use the DNS servers provided by the router, so OpenDNS doesn't work. I've got a fallback in that the firewall shuts off internet traffic to everything except specified devices between 9pm and 8am so a phone smuggled into the bedroom won't have any internet access via our router after 9pm.

The router I have has a "parental controls" section but it seems all that does it lets me enter URLs of sites to block, and keywords to block. Which is great, but I don't know every single inappropriate site out there and trying to catch keywords seems like an exercise in guessing what words will block inappropriates sites without catching innocent sites in the dragnet.

I've never had to deal with anything quite like this before so all I see is steep learning curves in all directions and I don't really know where to begin.

2. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Went through this when living in the City.
    I finally settled on a content based outside service like NetNanny. Not bad but still a hassle and not full proof.
    Now I feel the best route is to actively instill a firm, collective conscience against unhealthy Internet usage, as a blocker seems to set up a challenge and temptation to young geniuses
    Structure, accountability and positive reinforcement.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  3. Chuckz

Chuckz Member

I'm sort of in the same boat. I think iPads and kindles give you a little bit of help with being able to restrict YouTube and ratings.
    I downloaded the app for my internet provider and I can see every device connected to the router. At first, I didn't know how to make sense of all the devices so I used process of elimination by turning them off one by one and trying to operate all of the devices in the house. When I learned which devices were which, I was able to label / rename each device. The problem is that you have to know Mac Addresses and I haven't had the time to figure it out.
    The problem I had was with restricting online gaming sites because they have multiples of alternate URLs to stay in business so its almost impossible to restrict some of them because they are use to being blocked.
    I set parental controls on the router by locking it down and someone in the house decided to hit reset on the back of the router while the controls were locked and encrypted which essentially bricked the router. I called customer support and they tried to get the router to respond and it wouldn't.
    That is kind of an expensive way to replace a router but the internet company mailed me a router because it was their fault.
    There are third party options but kids can figure out how to remove software or circumvent it and the other options require expenses.
    The school system has an app and online homework so restricting access and getting kids to do their homework is now a problem which is almost solved by turning the internet off on their devices.
    Please keep us informed if you get further along in this process. I would like to learn all about it.

4. tango

Going forward that would be the plan but our foster daughter knows enough to be dangerous. She insists she would never download a virus, as if they come labelled so you know what they are, and the first time she tried to download a game it took me a good chunk of the evening cleaning up the results, once the virus scanner refused to let the installation finish. Admittedly that was a whole pile of adware rather than a virus as such, but she still refuses to accept there's anything about the internet that she doesn't understand. And even if I can get her to understand concepts like privacy on the internet there's no guarantee that any friend who comes to visit won't visit sites I don't want associated with my internet connection.

i'm starting to think the solution is going to involve relocating the router in the (locked) basement and installing something like a Raspberry Pi between it and another router (which I already have) so it can act as a more sophisticated firewall. I just don't have the faintest idea how to actually do it.

IMINXTC likes this.
  5. Chuckz

Chuckz Member

One of the problems is websites get broken into and your information gets posted on the dark web. Hackers use the information as a part of the puzzle to hack your account or other services where they can get to you where you will be a victim of identity theft. Let me know who hasn't been broken into.
    Hackers start following you around when they have your email address so its important to either put them on block in your email settings when you get a spam email or don't use that email. Even old phone numbers could be used by hackers to hack you.

One of the things I use is an ad blocker which helps keep me from some viruses.
    You might want to try a VPN. You might want to google "What is the best firewall" and keep in mind there are at least three kinds of firewalls. I am researching some options for myself.

6. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

Not sure if this helps. Our kids school uses (used) something called iPrism that all devices need to log into to access internet service. It logs history of all websites to all users and I believe limits access to content. I think they may have changed provider, but I'm not sure what they use now. It may be more tailored to institutions though.

7. tango

That's worth a look. I really want the kind of "set and forget" tool that I don't have to constantly monitor, if at all possible.

8. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I don't think it needs to be actively monitored, but it can be reviewed periodically to check the sites that are being visited. I think it has the ability to block specific sites. But I'm not the school IT guy so I can't tell you much more than that.