Perish or are Destroyed

Discussion in 'Speculative Reasoning' started by The Parson, Oct 31, 2018.

1. The Parson

The Parson Your friendly neighborhood parson Staff Member

Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

Here's another one of those dog gone mis-remembering thingy's! Studying today in Hosea, a very famous verse came to the forefront. Hosea 4:6. Specifically I remember using this verse with 2 Timothy 2:15 to answer a private Parsons Corner question. When the scripture was cut and paste from my Bible program, it reads exactly as it is above, but in my answer I expounded it as "My people perish for lack of knowledge". Hey, over the past few years, I've altered or even deleted a few of my answers because I thought I'd misquoted the scriptures. As a KJV apologist, misquoting is a big no, no fer sure!

Joe had told me that they had to re-cut a few of his pastors audio tapes because of his mis-quotes. But my list of misquotes is increasing.

Is there a difference between "are destroyed" and "perish"? You bet there is. When the verse came to my mind "before" I looked it up, I quoted "perish", not destroyed. Here's a curiouser and curiouser thingy for you folks.

2. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

I 'll bet you misremembered with "Where there is no vision, the people perish."

3. The Parson

No, that would be proverbs RK. I'm pretty sure I didn't confuse the two.

4. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

The KJV translators translated the same Hebrew word as perish in Psalm 49:12 and 49:20. For what it’s worth.

5. The Parson

Thanks Joe... I thought it worth noting guys because it's from my own notes and writings from way back when.

6. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

I don’t know if Fenris will see this but I’ve always assume he knows Hebrew. I’m using tools. I can’t really read it myself in Hebrew (yet).

The Parson likes this.
  7. hisleast

hisleast FISHBEAT!

Well, to really grind your gears you could also consider that the passage is "plain language". One dude just riffing.
    "I'm dying to learn XYZ". It doesn't mean I'm actually dying. It's just an expression to amplify emotional connotation.

8. The Parson

Yeah, I might consider it that way but can't. If it's dealing with a grammar misconception, consider Matthew 26:45 and tell me what you read there. Seriously. Look it up and expound on what you see there. Do you see a complete contradiction to what the Savior was saying in the previous verses?