Free-Form Musings...I'll go first.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IMINXTC, May 15, 2017.

1. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

It seems to me that as computing power rises, so cryptocurrencies will become less desirable. Part of the attraction as I understood it is the sense that it isn't controlled by any government and is beyond the control of any government. But during one recent ransomware attack it was reported that the US government managed to recover many of the bitcoins that had been paid to the extortionists. If that is true then a major attraction to cryptocurrencies goes away.

The idea of having a currency that is infinitely divisible, readily transferrable, and outside the control of governments becomes ever-more attractive as governments race to devalue their currencies. Things that stand the test of time against inflation include commodities such as gold and silver but they aren't infinitely divisible and are of limited use in commerce. You could theoretically pay for your McBurger with bitcoin but using a gold coin would prove troublesome. Even a silver coin is worth many times the burger's cost but you can't sensibly break it into smaller pieces.

I can't help wonder how long it will be before more people are drawn to the idea of transactions that can't be traced. I've thought for a long time that most of my transactions aren't particularly sensitive but I don't necessarily want some all-seeing entity to know that I bought half a gallon of ice cream simply because it's nobody else's business. Especially when health care becomes rationed (as has been discussed for many years in the UK) you don't necessarily want to give anyone an excuse to say that something was self-inflicted and therefore not going to be treated.

IMINXTC likes this.
  2. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

This recent deluge of advances in cosmology and quantum physics, among other scientific fields, IMO, has revealed not only a unique Earth, but layer upon layer of unique, interlocking systems essential to life so complex and seemingly impossible, I can't help but see the overwhelming proof of intelligent creation.
    Just me?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  3. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Agreed. Wholeheartedly agreed.

And one only has to look at government to see the overwhelming proof of nonintelligent operations managers...

4. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Truth. Alas!

5. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

You'd think not; intelligent creation is littered throughout media but as an actual real suggestion? For some reason, nope. Either religious or fringe theory.

IMINXTC likes this.
  6. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

IMINXTC likes this.
  7. tango

I like the saying that an atheist cannot find God for the same reasons a burglar cannot find a police officer.

IMINXTC likes this.
  8. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

Forgive me if I misunderstood, but ascribing any supernatural cause within a theoretical framework simply cannot be tested. None of that negates an intelligent agent but it is a faith statement.

9. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Truth. Nevertheless.

10. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

My point is that religious or fringe aren't the only appropriate categories. The theory is untestable no matter how we slice it. Whether that's God or 5th-dimensional beings that exist atemporally and seed life across galaxies. Some statement of faith is involved, and pigeon holing the answer to life to only those things that can be tested is shortsighted.

11. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

Anyone with an IQ of 100 or even somewhat less and a bit understanding of science can not be a 100% atheist without being dishonest to himself. 80% maybe, 90% odd, 100% never. Complexity is a real problem for atheists. Looking forward what the James Webb telescope will reveal. If things go well it will be launched tomorrow and hopefully within 6 months we will see the first pictures.

IMINXTC likes this.
  12. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

One agenda: Webb could help identify dark matter as primordial black holes, many as small as a hydrogen atom nucleous. 85% of the known universe, yet, so far, unseeable.
    Universal law of entropy contradicts a mechanistic or accidental creation and perseverence of life, let alone consciousness. IMO.

13. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Thinking I would like to be a reckless, eccentric billionaire when I grow up.
    Those guys seem to have a lot of fun juggling the lives of millions and so little accountability.

14. RabbiKnife

I’d like to start with the billionaire part

mince I have that down I can work on the reckless and eccentric parts

IMINXTC likes this.
  15. tango

I've got eccentric pretty much pinned down. Sadly I don't have the billionaire aspect sorted just yet, and so I can't afford to be as reckless as I might otherwise be.

That said, in my desk drawer I have some banknotes that add up to several million. Sadly that's several million Turkish Lira (the old ones, not the new ones). If they were still legal tender (I don't think they are any more) there's enough of them to buy a coffee and maybe a piece of cake to go with it.

IMINXTC likes this.
  16. ProDeo

I know one, he almost managed to ruin your democracy if it wasn't for Pence, that man deserves a statue.

IMINXTC likes this.
  17. RabbiKnife

We don’t have a democracy

the system has enough checks and balances with or without Pence

18. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Drop $44 Billion on a faltering global social media giant only to sink it by sheer capriciousness & incompetence?
    Man, that's power!

ProDeo likes this.
  19. ProDeo

Worth every penny.

20. tango

$44bn to be rid of the cesspit that is Twitter.... bargain.

Of course if it was my $44 bil I might think differently... if I had that kind of money to throw around I might even be a little cautious with it. But then buying wings for hospitals and new schools and libraries seems so dated.

IMINXTC likes this.