Evolution once again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProDeo, Nov 13, 2021.

1. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

I have been thinking about evolution, once again, evolution theory to be precise, the stuff kids have to learn as truth, not the Christian versions, although they do matter.

It appears to be that evolution theory needs death as a necessity. Without death the planet would be unlivable within a couple of months without for instance the death of insects.

So God created the world with the necessity of death ?

I have a hard time to believe that.

The God I met in 1974 is a God of total love.

And if He did after all there must be a very special reason for it.

2. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Creationism runs into the same problem, so this doesn't strike me as an issue unique to evolutionary, or theistic evolutionary theory.

It's perhaps with distinguishing between human death and animal death. Does Scripture anywhere say that animals, insects, bacteriophages, etc., weren't subject to death?

3. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

I think it goes to our misconception that there was no death of anything prior to sin.

Hello. If I pull a piece of asparagus out of the ground and munch it, the asparagus plant dies, or at least the part I munched did.

I think sometimes we need to go back and re-examine our theological presuppositions.

4. Athanasius

Yes. It seems to me the significance of death for Adam and Eve and humanity wasn't that death didn't have a role to play in creation (we're never told they're immortal, either), but that Adam and Eve and humanity are image-bearers of God. Death and image-bearers are two things that aren't supposed to mix, it's like, desecration in the truest and worst sense imaginable. That is, death as in the physical consequence and not just the spiritual consequence of separation.

5. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

I think the reference in Genesis to driving Adam and Eve out of the garden so they could no longer eat of the Tree of Life is significant here. It gives me the impression that humans were only immortal for as long as they had access to the Tree of Life. At the end of the Revelation the tree is back and we can eat freely from it, once we are in heaven and become immortal again.

Obviously, as the good Rabbi said, if Adam and Eve ate a plant then that part of the plant would die. At the time I don't think they were eating animals but there's no specific indication of whether or not animals would die. Presumably if they didn't eat from the Tree of Life they would be mortal and would eventually die.

6. Athanasius

Yeah, I tend to think that tree of life = in proper relation/relationship with God. So, it's not so much an actual fruit. A fruit you kill to live forever :D

7. tango

I recall a discussion in another thread about whether it was a literal tree. If it is analogous to being in proper relationship with God it doesn't make sense to be turfed out of the garden to deny access to it, unless God is somehow restrained to the garden and we can't be in relationship with God unless we are physically in the garden.

Although I'm minded to think it was a literal tree it doesn't explicitly say so in Scripture, so it may be something metaphorical. I just don't think your metaphor works.

8. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I get the sense that uprooting/eating something was not considered "death" within the context of the Biblical writers. Death seems limited to humans and animals.

IMINXTC likes this.
  9. Athanasius

That's the thing about an account that probably wasn't written as the literal history we modern audiences would like it to be. I do think there was a historical event that led to the fall of humanity like the one described, but I think there's more to the story than mere concrete descriptions.

10. tango

Even then presumably things would have to die sooner or later to make room for other things. Otherwise when God said "let there be wriggling things that wriggle in the sea" and told them to multiply, what happens when they run out of sea and have to wriggle on the land instead? Even that assumes there's room on the land, and that the things that were already wriggling on the land haven't taken up all the space.

Arguably the call to Adam and Eve to multiply and dominate the earth makes a case for the tree of life not being a literal tree because if people had to eat from one tree to remain immortal I can only imagine the growing lines of people standing around waiting their turn to eat.

11. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

Indeed. The question is why a loving God (before the first sin) would create a world with the necessity of death while He by the words of Jesus said - Now he is not God of the dead, but of the living, for all live to him. Why a loving God (before the first sin) created a world with a cruel food chain mechanism, eat or be eaten. Why a loving God (before the first sin) created a world with diseases, earthquakes, hurricanes etc. Why did a loving God (after the first sin) condemned all the descendants of A&E to live in the world He created while all the he descendants never got the same chance as A&E and thus never ate from the forbidden tree and yet are part of the cursed earth without having a choice, not even a choice about being born in the world He created. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful I exist, these are just philosophical observations in search for answers.

Indeed. Once again :)

When I read the story of the fall (for the umpteenth time) I get the impression it's not a literal story but peppered with symbolism. It obviously describes an heavenly place, not of this earth while on this earth. Rev 2:7 even hints that Eden is paradise. I can not imagine death in a heavenly place, not even animal death, no diseases, no earthquakes. Sin took place, everything changed. Those who sinned were separated from the presence of the Lord, Ex 33:20 - But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live. Moved to another place away from the presence of the Lord, probably for their own good. With death as necessity to keep the planet going and for a small time in the light of eternity to learn the difference between good and evil and make a second (better) choice saved by the grace of God in Jesus our Lord and Savior.

12. tango

I think the concept of a "cruel food chain" potentially muddies the water. If we consider it cruel for a cat to catch and eat a mouse we need to ascribe human-like qualities to the mouse. When a cat bites a mouse the mouse dies more or less instantly so there's not a lot of suffering involved for the mouse. So from that perspective it's not necessarily cruel.

Can we assume that before the first sin this was a world filled with disease, earthquakes, hurricanes etc? I'm not sure we can specifically conclude that such things existed before the first sin. Scripture appears silent so it seems we can only speculate. It doesn't seem like a huge leap of faith to figure that paradise, more or less by definition, does not contain such things (but, again, this is speculation).

If we regard humans as special, which is consistent with Scripture, it seems there was no human death before the fall and therefore "the necessity of death" only applies to non-human species. Unless we are going to start grieving every single plant and wild animal that dies I'm not sure this is inherently a bad thing.

The question of future generations not having a chance to live in Eden but being stuck with a post-fall world where they can never reacquire what Adam and Eve once had is an interesting one. I can't help thinking it lends credence to the concept of a literal Adam and Eve, who sinned and thus condemned all their offspring. That would seem to make more sense than humans evolving from something else with the potential for multiple individuals to be "kinda-sorta-humanlike" and close enough to count as humans, some of whom were condemned by an individual significantly removed from them on a "family tree".

This is an interesting thought but I'm not sure it addresses your concern about the idea that the first humans fell and condemned everyone who came after them. I'm also not sure that it makes a lot of sense given the price that Jesus had to pay to give us that "better choice" - if it was about teaching us a lesson that some would grasp and some would not then it might make more sense, especially if paired with concepts like reincarnation so people can try and try again if they need to. But it seems like a curious approach to give us a few years to learn the difference between good and evil, but then do all the work for us so we don't have to actually do much with that information. I'm trying to figure how the thief on the cross fits into the picture here.