Does God address the unbeliever?

Discussion in 'Bible Chat' started by Hugo Clanton, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Hugo Clanton

Hugo Clanton Member

I believe God’s commands are only to those whom He knows are going to desire to obey them. What sense or reason would there be to think He would command those whom He knows would not obey them, which I believe if conceived otherwise, would be to misunderstand His omniscience. I see it that his commands, warnings and admonitions in Scripture stand as identifiable direction to the believer, and as a witness against the unbeliever (Deu 30:19), from who He shouldn’t even expect obedience.

But there is a diverse view as well,

The believer who desires to follow Jesus will see the light in God's Word and through faith "desire" to obey. The unbeliever / unreached is blind to the Word and will not obey what they cannot see, but we also know the unbeliever / unreached, through the Great Commission, has the opportunity to receive the light by coming to Christ, and desire to obey Him per the conversion of Paul in Acts 9.

What's your view?

2. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

God is not slack concerning his promise, is not willing that any should perish, but that all would come to repentance.

What sense is there is giving command to beings that have choice but to obey?

ProDeo likes this.
  3. Hugo Clanton

Hugo Clanton Member

Either believer or Unbeliever, Both have choice of obeying/disobeying a particular command. Ain't it?

And of course, as you rightly said, Unbeliever has a chance of repentance.

4. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Only some Christians believe that to be true.