As it was in the days of Noah (Noe)

Discussion in 'Eschatology' started by The Parson, Mar 21, 2020.

1. The Parson

The Parson Your friendly neighborhood parson Staff Member

I have this thread started elsewhere on the web, but it doesn't seem to interest anyone. Or they're just scratching their heads over it. Y'all care to take a stab at it?

Have you seen the speculation some people come up with when they read the verses:

Matthew 24:37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 24:38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, 24:39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Some, not me, but some have even suggested that technology was the same of equal to what we have today. Notice I said, "NOT ME"! But man's hearts were the same fer sure... Thoughts?

2. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

I'm with you.

Hearts, not tech.

Noah would have killed for a forklift, a chain saw, and a nail gun...

Some people are really stupid, and then they go,publicize it!

3. The Parson

Stupid? Or would that just be ignorant in their own imaginations? Is that actually the same thing? And the clamor over the book of Enoch hasn't helped matters much either. Prediluvian information information would have mentioned in the scriptures more prominently if it had survived the flood. Except for the mention of Enoch's writings in Jude 1:14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, (KJV) It's possible that this came from verbal traditions.

But it's a gimme to say that widespread infanticide, reveling, idol worship, etc. were going on then because it's going on today with a fever. 2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
    And:
    2 Peter 3:3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

It's also possible that those in that day who "KNEW OF GOD" had their own preconceived notions about the will of God and railed on Noah and his family for being so silly as to build a giant yacht where probably water wasn't even nearby? Who knows?

4. The Parson

The wickedness of man must have been rampant on the earth before the flood. Isn’t this an age of down right wickedness? Even in some circles it’s more tuned and refined to a point of just being plain criminal. Crime has overtaken our society in every form imaginable, and is excused by liberals (which I now consider liberal a dirty word) as not being the criminals fault! It must be something psychological and can be treated with psychoanalysts and psychiatrists. No date and time, IMHO, was ever so immoral and wicked since the flood..

Look at the skeptical agenda of our seminaries and universities. And even the revival of pagan superstition with the RCC. With the Roman Catholic churches, you see more and more doubt being spread by their leaders as to what God really said and meant even more than they did in past centuries. You’ll find the same happening in the churches that originally stood for reformation in the old harlot.

5. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

That seems a tad hyperbolic. Depending on what crime you look at specifically, many are at their lowest levels at almost any time. And perhaps you'll need to flesh out what liberals are excusing crime? I think I know what you are getting at, but I don't there are any that would say that crime should not have any consequences.

These days, skepticism is a pretty handy tool.

6. The Parson

Hyperbolic? OK... Lets see if I can flesh it out for you on my next post.

7. RabbiKnife

I don't think that evil is essentially qualitative, but is categorical.

I don't imagine that anyone back then was more evil than anyone today, or vice versa.
    Cultures tend to accept or repress outward expressions of evil from time to time, and those trends tend to change with the times.
    Yesterday was evil. Today is evil. I think Jesus' point was that, like Ecclesiastes says, there is nothing new under the sun. and Jesus was, of course, talking of his generation, not ours.

8. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

The point of the sermon is that they were taken in stark blindness. They failed to see it coming and Noah was apparently unintelligible to them.

9. The Parson

Liberal: Those with an agenda for humanism. Those that believe that a human life in the womb is not a living sou, and/or believe that same soul isn't viable until it's in it's momma's arms. Still too vague?
    Indeed it is.
    Care to expound on that one RK?

10. The Parson

Unintelligible yes and most certainly inconceivable. Just like today?

11. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

The Gospel is preached, heard and believed today, though clearly a dark day for the Church.
    To deny that it could be today, however, would be folly.

12. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

While that may be your definition, I don't think that is a classic definition of a liberal. Personally I don't even understand (scripturally) what a soul really is (especially those who suggest a tripartite nature of a human).

13. RabbiKnife

JESUS was warning about the then soon fall of Jerusalem

i don’t see the entirety of the passage to be eschatological excep perhaps by application in the most general sense, meaning, it isn’t a timeline

it is important to read Luke 21 in parallel

Luke talks about the trampling is Jerusalem and the time I’d the Gentiles

I think you have to read Luke 21:20 between Matthew 24:28 and Matt 24:29

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  14. The Parson

Mankind does a lot of that folly thingy IMINXTC.

IMINXTC likes this.
  15. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

One other thing to notice. They were giving, and being given in marriage (I've never seen a day they weren't). They were coming in and going out (again I've never seen a day they weren't). Yes, it was a day of great evil, but it was a day like any other. In other words it was just a normal day.

16. RabbiKnife

I concur

17. Hugo Clanton

Hugo Clanton Member

I wouldn't say unintelligible, But I would say people weren't ready to believe him. They wouldn't act if not for clear & present danger. People acted that way then, They will act same way now.

And of course the heart of man remains the same, It's still as dark as it was, It's still as warm as it was. Technology just gives more potent mean to Warmheartedness/Wickedness.