Is remorse a good thing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by devilslayer365, Apr 17, 2016.

1. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

So, what is your view of the bully in the scenario? He get a free pass in all of this? It almost seems like that's what you're giving him. I haven't heard any criticism of the bully's behavior from you. It's like you believe the only person that did anything wrong was the girl for deciding to kill herself. Which I actually find irritating.

2. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

If you are irritated, then I suggest some Boudreaux's Butt Paste or perhaps some Monkey Butt Powder.

The bully has clearly sinned and engaged in behavior that is less than Christian, but unless he is a Christian, his behavior is exactly what I expect from all non-regenerate humans. His actions are the natural state of man without Christ.

He will answer to God for his treatment of another human.

Why would you assume that "I let him off the hook"?

3. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

No, thanks. It chafes. Anyway, you just made it seem like, "Tough sh*t for the girl for making her lousy choice. Sucks to be her." Nothing really about the bully being the jerk face that he is. The girl killed herself. Boo hoo. Because, after all, it wasn't like the boy made her miserable or anything.

4. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

Your last line is the problem and it kinda goes against your point. People can be in extremely difficult positions such that coercion by another is pretty easy. Mob mentality, abusive relationships, etc. You seem to suggest that we have a Terminator-like menu-option response feature available to us (hyperbole!). Sure a decision is ultimately made by the individual, but the external pressures can be such that the wrong decision is effectively a foregone conclusion.

We also have to deal with our biochemical processes that will instinctively push us in certain directions (i.e. fight, flight, freeze) when in stressful situations.

5. RabbiKnife

I don't see any connection between the bully's actions and hers.

6. RabbiKnife

I disagree that external pressures can ever result in a foregone conclusion.

7. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I'm not sure how that is the case. The girl left a suicide note detailing why she killed herself. It was because of all the crap the bully did to her. I guess that would be the "connection" you're somehow missing? Again, she is the one that made the bad decision to end her life, and before God she gets to face the consequences...BUT to indicate the bully doesn't have any part in this tragedy? Totally disagree.

8. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

There is something as the last drop.

9. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

It might be worth asking what RK means when he says 'connection'.

10. ProDeo

I would say that remorse is the intellectual conclusion of the brain into one's feelings (conscience). It's God's invention to stimulate us to do something with the conclusion of the brain, namely to improve. It's then when our pesky will starts playing its role as you described so well in the stuff worthwhile quoting.

In the end our will decides, that is if one is mentally competent.

11. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I'm not sure what I wanted to accomplish when I started this thread. Maybe mostly to vent. Maybe there are really no answers to these kinds of tragedies and they're just going to continue. I just hate bullies. I got picked on as a kid, so I can relate to this girl's situation. Who knows, maybe if I hadn't gotten the balls to stand up to bullies and kick them in the junk and make them stop picking on me the bullies would have continued to torment me and I eventually would have hung myself, too. I really hope this kid comes to regret what he did and become a better person, whether he "comes to Jesus" or not. It would just be nice to have one less sociopath in this screwed up world. Yes, there is a small part of me, very small part, that does feel convicted for wishing something horrible on this boy for being the a-hole that he is, but the part of me that doesn't feel so bad about my wish is, at this time, anyway, much more large and in charge.

12. ProDeo

And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying: 3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. 5 “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. 6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. 7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. 8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. 9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

------

Which of the blessings apply?

13. ProDeo

Bullying is one of those underestimated problems at school and the mental damage it often does to kids. Often they end up with a low self esteem. Teachers are too busy and tend to look the other way or interfere too softly. Often the same applies for parents.

There is a growing awareness and insight where I live understanding the psychological damage bullying is causing and the will to do something about it but progress is much too slow.

Law giving maybe the answer, parents being the main responsible ones for the behaviour of their bullying kids. Schools are responsible reporting bullying to the parents. Schools are obliged to listen to parents and together (in all reasonableness) they must work out a strategy.

Nice wasp's nest.

14. Athanasius

Kids aren't allowed to deal with their bullies and if they try they get punished. Teachers can't deal with bullying because the bully's parents will sue the school. The bullied child's parents can't get involved or they'll be investigated by child services. When I was bullied I tried to ignore them, then tried to talk to them, then invited them to inspect the pavement in the school yard -- and the bullying stopped with that. It's a potential character-building situation, but no one is allowed to do anything except the bully, who can 'keep calm and carry on'.

Not being allowed to do anything about your situation because of 'X', 'Y', and 'Z' is 'psychologically damaging'. Some people really just need a fist to the face.

Less legislation, more allowing bullied kids, and parents, and teachers, to do something about it.

15. ProDeo

Bullies have this nasty habit to bully the weak, the vulnerable.

A new trend is internet bullying.

16. Athanasius

Hit the power button, set your profiles to private, and involve the police for anything else.

17. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

As far as physical bullying I think we already have laws against assault. I'm not sure but cyber-bullying would probably fall under harassment.

18. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I would say that, in most places, that would be correct.

19. RabbiKnife

In most places, cyber bullying (whatever that is) falls under the category of, believe it or not, "making of a terroristic threat by electronic methods."