God's Grace

Discussion in 'Bible Chat' started by CinderHead, Jun 27, 2018.

1. CinderHead

CinderHead Member

So... a wise, MUCH older man told me one time, when I had really screwed up, (with weird enthusiasm) that God was going to teach me what grace was all about.

In my absence, those words have held me through some dark times. Those words, spoken to me, hit their mark and turned out to be completely true. Here are a few things that I have learned about God's Grace.

1. I cannot wrap my brain around the width, height, or depth of His grace.
    2. His grace is not taught enough in churches.
    3. In spite of my best efforts at times, His grace FAR exceeds my ability to be stupid.
    4. It is, by default, not earned. When you are at your worst, His grace shines brighter.
    5. When you expect God to punish you, you had better buckle up. You are about to get a bucket full of grace dumped on you.
    6. His grace is sufficient for me.

Cloudwalker likes this.
  2. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Blasted defective blurry monitor.

I imagine that that MUCH older man was also MUCH more handsome...

So, here's a question I've been asking myself lately, tying into your point #2 above.

Why are preacher's afraid to really teach about God's grace? What is there in the "church's" history/culture, at least in our country, that demands that we pay for our own sins in various and sundry ways?

CinderHead likes this.
  3. CinderHead

CinderHead Member

Two possible answers depending on the heart of the preacher...

1. Grace is the very antithesis of Religion. Much of the church is more concerned with conformation than transformation. How are we going to get people to conform to our ideas of "holy" with grace getting in the way?

2. It is kind of like God's love. How can I preach on something I can't even hope to begin to understand myself?

4. RabbiKnife

I wish I thought it was because of your second idea.

I am more convinced that it is in response to your first. BTW, consider your statement stolen, um, appropriated, um, borrowed without proper citation. "Much of the church is more concerned with conformation that transformation." That's showing up in a sermon somewhere.

Ouch.

5. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

I think whatever churches there are that are afraid to teach grace have gotten to removed from the Reformers. The RCC was concerned that Luther’s teaching would lead to antinomianism. People could do whatever they want if they understood grace as Luther taught it was what they thought. These people are being more Roman Catholic than Protestant.

That’s exactly what people accused Paul of teaching in his unnamed opponent(s) in Romans.

Romans 3:7–8 (ESV): But if through my lie God’s truth abounds to his glory, why am I still being condemned as a sinner? 8 And why not do evil that good may come?—as some people slanderously charge us with saying.

Romans 5:20–6:2 (ESV): Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, 21 so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    6 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 By no means!

And Paul teaches the opposite idea. Grace doesn’t cause people to sin. Grace teaches people not to sin!

Titus 2:11–14 (ESV): For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, 12 training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, 13 waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

6. RabbiKnife

But people controlled by the grace of He Spirit don't need external controls...

7. CinderHead

CinderHead Member

I agree completely. Grace is about transforming. Religion is about conforming. Grace leads to self control. Religion is about organizational control.

8. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

I still remember our first conversation. It was all about Grace.

CinderHead likes this.
  9. CinderHead

CinderHead Member

It seems to be a reoccurring theme in my life...

פNIʞƎƎS likes this.
  10. RabbiKnife

If it's not you're in trouble...

CinderHead likes this.
  11. TomH

TomH Well-Known Member

We're His children. He expects us to grow.
    By His Grace, He disciplines.
    (And rewards)