Will We Recognize Our Loved Ones In Heaven?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gracie, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Gracie

Gracie Member

This is a question that I have always thought about but never asked. So I thought now would be a great time and place to ask every ones thoughts on this?

2. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

3. Dani

Dani You're probably fine.

I'm sure we'll recognize people we know here, in Paradise also. Why wouldn't we?

4. Gracie

Gracie Member

I believe that we will recognize our loved one's as well as everyone that ever new us. I know that people don't always think the way I think,and was just wanting ya'lls thoughts.

5. Timothy

Timothy Administrator Staff Member

Paul made a reference to it here. 1 Corinthians 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

6. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

Look at the times when Christ appeared after He rose. He was recognizable. True, He could keep His identity hidden, such as on the walk to Emmaus. But, other than that, the disciples recognized Him.

7. Athanasius

Further, I think we'll not just recognize our loved ones, but (as The Parson made reference to) we'll recognize and know them in a way we weren't able to in this life.

8. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

I'd like to think so, but at the same time if we recognise our loved ones how will we reconcile the lack of specific loved ones with the notion that there's no sorrow in heaven? How can we know that a loved one isn't in heaven without feeling sorrow that they are eternally condemned?

9. Athanasius

Our ability to experience emotion is corrupted by sin as well (as everything else), so how do we know that we'll feel sorrow at such a thought?

10. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

Short of a memory wipe, I'm not sure how that would work. How could one not be at least disappointed that they don't see a son/daughter/mother/father?

11. Athanasius

Jesus isn't beating Himself up over it, so why would we?

12. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

I've never been scripturally convinced that we will know and don't believe we will - no looking for or longing for who is or is not there, something that will not be in our ability to know.

I do believe certain persons will be identified, such as Abraham, e.g.

I've seen arguments that affirm we will not lose our faculties but don't think that is the point.

I've also known believers who can't seem to wait for my or someone else's comeuppance before Christ in eternity - looking forward to glorying in my or someone else's chastisement.

Others seem to look forward to being rewarded in such a way as to be placed above the rest.

I do not believe former husbands and wives will share special relationships in eternity or will there be a rehashing of related memories, good or bad.

I don't have scriptural support for these views, but I do not think any of these things will actually concern us, but we will love one another and will worship Christ in ecstatic truth.

13. tango

There seem to be reasonably convincing arguments on both sides of this one.

If Jesus feels sorrow then what John wrote about there being no more sorrow is wrong. If Jesus doesn't feel sorrow it's reasonable that we won't either. At the same time how can we know that our entire family except Aunt Maude is in heaven with us and not feel sorrow at Aunt Maude's absence?

I can't help thinking this is one of those issues where we can speculate all we want but we won't know for sure until we get there.

14. Athanasius

This is indeed one such issue (how could it not be? We're talking about versions of ourselves that we can't comprehend existing in a creation we can't comprehend.)

15. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I agree. We can speculate all we want. It's easy this side of Heaven to say, "Well, I hope Aunt Mable is there, and if she's not I'll be so upset." The truth is, the Bible does not really address this issue, so, it's hard to know, until we get there, exactly what, if anything, we'll feel about others we know not being in Heaven.

16. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

Will We Recognize those we dislike In Heaven?

17. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Well played

18. tango

... and there was much tutting in disapproval of the new residents at 776 Golden Street by the long-standing occupants of number 777.

19. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

I suspect that since "we will be like Him" we will be changed so that even those we didn't like down here we will love there.

20. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I hope so, because, to be honest, if it's left to me to find the ability to love people that I don't like...it just ain't happening. At least when it comes to how I feel about people. I can currently be loving to people, in various ways, including to people I don't like. But I definitely don't have affectionate feelings for people I don't like, even if I can TREAT them lovingly.