Why have I never seen this before?!

Discussion in 'Controversial' started by teddyv, Nov 12, 2017.

1. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

2. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Can't imagine any but the very few exceptions taking this with any seriousness.

3. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL.

I'm telling you.... gap reconciles it all...

Just saying

4. teddyv

It really depends. What is the estimated date of recreation? Then, are there demonstrated genetic bottlenecks of a massive order of species in that period? We do have massive die-outs at the Permian and Cretaceous and elsewhere. I thought Gappers accepted the old age dates as such, so that does not really work out in their favour.

5. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

[​IMG]
    Following this picture found on the WIKI let's say we between chaos and re-creation insert an 4th picture of a global flood in which God wiped out the chaos of millions (billions) of years ending up in Gen 1:2 where it is stated the Earth was fully covered with water.

Just brainstorming.

6. TrustGzus

TrustGzus Don't make me hangry Staff Member

Teddy, hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

7. hisleast

hisleast FISHBEAT!

8. Liquid Tension

Liquid Tension No, it's NOT a fish!!!

For quite a while now, I've been thinking along the lines of your thought process. Makes a lot of sense to me regarding a global flood.

9. teddyv

I think I mentioned elsewhere, but that layout shows a strong correlation to the ancient battle myths that led to our current creation, such as the Enuma Elish, and I think the Egyptian creation myth is also quite similar. And I don't think that is an accident at all. This is where the ancient Israelites framed the creation story with similar imagery, but with much different focus.

10. ProDeo

While there are some striking similarities what these alleged older creation stories lack is theology. Gen 1-3 is full of it and the base of the rest of the OT and NT.

11. teddyv

I would not say they lack theology - the wrong theology certainly, but these also frame the various ancients religious worldviews, much as the early chapters of Genesis deal with foundational worldview issues.

12. ProDeo

About theology, what they lack

. Then God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness
    . God put them in a beautiful place,
    . A&E could communicate face-to-face, God walking in the garden.
    . God put them on a test.
    . Then there is a devil.
    . A&E fall, death made its entry.
    . Sin caused God to withdraw from His fallen creation else per (Exo 33:20) everybody would die.
    . God promises redemption nevertheless (3:16)

I don't see any of that in alleged older creation stories.

13. teddyv

I think you misunderstood me. I never said they did. You stated that they lack theology (post 10). But that is not true - there is theology there. But you rightly point out that the other ANE theologies are very much lacking in the theology that the Bible lays out. The Biblical theology is therefore that much more striking in its radical nature as compared to its contemporaries.

14. teddyv

15. hisleast

hisleast FISHBEAT!

Was wondering what happened to him. Glad he's still doing his thing.
    The way he was treated elsewhere was crappy

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Liquid Tension and פNIʞƎƎS like this.
  16. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Sadly many others were treated crappy as well.

Liquid Tension likes this.
  17. ProDeo

Glad his musings are online again. Wading through his (new) stuff I must say one shouldn't read his stuff if you are -- and want to remain -- an inerrant Scripture believer. Secondly he is more or less calling Gen 2-3 a myth derived from the Epic of Gilgamesh. Stuff like this makes me nervous but intrigues me at the same time.

Example - http://www.redtheology.com/2017/01/genesis-adam.html

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  18. ProDeo

I can't remember that or it must have been the moment he started a thread saying he did not longer believe in the Trinity which caused a wave of emotional responses, not meant mean or insulting if I recall correctly. And his status is still of a normal member, not banned. Not so many here can say that, after all this is the island of the banned :D

19. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL.

Reading Mark's stuff has never made me question inerrancy.

20. teddyv

I honestly don't know if I would be an inerrantist or not, but that is one of those words that seems to defy a specificity to it. I don't even see how the Biblical creation story would stumble if it was a derivation of another creation myth. At the end of the day the Biblical theology and worldview being relayed is correct. The other is not.