Why did some angels rebel?

Discussion in 'Controversial' started by devilslayer365, Oct 1, 2017.

1. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I've never heard this discussed much among Christians. Any ideas on why Satan was able to convince some of God's angels to join him in his rebellion against God? I realize anything we come up with is pure speculation on our part.

The Bible never directly discusses this situation. However, I've recently come across something in scripture that gives me a place to start with. In the book of Hebrews 1:5, it says, "God never said to any of His angels, 'You are my Son. Today I have become your Father.' And God never said to any of his angels, 'I will be his Father, and he will be my Son.' " In Hebrews 1:14, it says, "What are all the angels? They are spirits sent to serve those who are going to receive salvation."

Maybe the angels felt rejected by God. After all, it appears the Bible teaches that God loved mankind but not the angels. They were merely "servants" that were to do God's bidding. Maybe that sense of rejection turned into resentment. Maybe Satan tapped into that and convinced the angels that they should turn their back on God since they didn't mattter to Him.

Satan possibly looked like a liberator to these angels. Like he had their best interests at heart. That then increased their sense of loyalty to Satan. Which then made it easier for them to join Satan in his rebellion and seal their fate.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  2. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Satan rebelled because of pride. He wanted to be like God. I suppose that other angels that rebelled felt the same.

3. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

You don't think the fact that God didn't care about His angels and looked at them as mere servants played into any resentment they felt making their rebellion against God easier? The Bible plainly indicates God didn't have any loving, Fatherly feelings for the angels. They were basically just "spiritual worker bees" to Him. I've seen nothing in scripture to indicate the fallen angels wanted to be like God, that was more Satan's motive for rebelling. Maybe, with Satan's prompting, they started seeing God as this unloving, task master that they began to distrust and resent. They were these majestic beings that resided in Heaven with Him, yet He felt nothing for them. While He poured out His love for these lowly, fleshy beings on earth.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  4. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

5. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Explain.

6. פNIʞƎƎS

What makes you think God didn't care about His angels?

7. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

The two scriptures I quoted in the first post indicates God sees His angels as His servants. They don't particularly give the impression that God has any feelings of affection for them. If you read Hebrews 1:1-14, it's pretty much God bragging on how highly he sees Jesus while He sees the angels as mere servants. Maybe the argument can be made that it doesn't mean God doesn't care about His angels at all, just that He sees Jesus as more important?

8. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL.

I love and care for my servants.

9. TrustGzus

TrustGzus Don't make me hangry Staff Member

I'm not sure why you typed anything after that sentence.

Comparing Jesus with angels based on Hebrews is apples-and-oranges. Colossians 1 tells us by Jesus all things were created. Surely, the angels know Jesus is creator. Surely they know and understand the doctrine of the Trinity. It would be stupid for the angels to expect the Father to have the same relationship or better relationship with angels than the second person of the Trinity.

Hebrews 1:5 isn't suggesting any angel was ever in the running with Jesus. The entire book (or sermon of Hebrews) shows how Jesus is better than the Old Covenant in every aspect. He just starts with showing Jesus is better than angels and then moves on to other things and people Jesus is better than.

פNIʞƎƎS likes this.
  10. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Calling God's eternal character into question.

God cares for the sparrow. How much more His angels.

11. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I "typed something after that sentence" because I'm interested in the thoughts people may have on how Satan may have convinced some of the other angels to join him in his rebellion against God. He obviously used some tactic to get them to join. I just got the sense, through various scriptures, that God sees His angels as servants, has no particular "love" or "affection" for them, and perhaps Satan tapped into that and got them to feel rejected and resentful of God for loving mankind but not them. There must be something to the idea that God doesn't love His angels. After all, when some rebelled, like man has also done, He didn't make a way for salvation for them like He did for mankind.

12. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I've seen nothing in scripture that says or even hints that He cares about His angels. And that's His right. He's God. He can do whatever He wants. I don't see what I did as "calling God's eternal character into question." I'm trying to understand Him better. Part of that requires asking questions. Sometimes, those questions make others uncomfortable.

13. פNIʞƎƎS

Have you seen anything in scripture that says He DOESN'T care about them?

14. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Probably the oldest reason out there: they thought they could do it better. The better question is why they thought they could win, or maybe they were making a 'moral stand', or... They know, and God knows, and we don't. It doesn't matter at this point.

15. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL.

God is love.
    God is light, and in him is no shadow of turning.

Do you begin to understand how saying "nothing in Scripture says God cares anything about his angels... their just his slaves" seems to be already contradicted by what Scripture says about the very nature of GOd?

16. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Not with those direct words, no. But, I find it curious that He loves mankind and provided a way to save them from their sin. If He loves the angels, too, why did He NOT also devise a way to provide for THEIR salvation? I've heard the argument that maybe the angels became so set in their sin that they wouldn't have repented so there was no point in providing salvation to them. Perhaps that's possible, but do we know for sure that's truly the case?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  17. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Oh, I know that, in the big picture, it doesn't matter why. I'm just curious. I just like knowing as much as I can about spiritual things.

18. TrustGzus

Hebrews isn't addressing God's attitude to angels. Just as Colossians 1 is clear, so Hebrews 1:1-2 is clear that Jesus is the creator. Hebrews 1:8 is clear that Jesus is God. Hebrews 2:16 is clear that God doesn't save angels.

He never tells us why. So what should we do? On my opinion....invoke Deuteronomy 29:29...

29 The hidden things belong to the Lord our God, but the revealed things belong to us and our children forever, so that we may follow all the words of this law.

And 2 Timothy 2:23....

23 But refuse foolish and ignorant speculations, knowing that they produce quarrels.

Maybe God will fill in then blanks one day. Maybe he won't.

There is great contentment in embracing Deut 29:29.

IMINXTC likes this.
  19. TrustGzus

The word in verse 14 that says angels serve those who inherit salvation is the same word saying Mark was good for serving Paul in 2 Tim 4:11 and many others. No implying a lack of love from God or Paul toward Mark.

Just because angels are tasked with serving the saints, doesn't imply anything about God's love one way or another for angels. Non-sequitur.

20. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Ok, I get from people that the Bible doesn't really discuss one way or the other exactly how God feels about His angels. Some people assume that because God is characterized as love that means He must love His angels, while I read into various Bible verses that gave me the impression He merely sees them as His servants, that they're just some kind of "worker bees" to Him. At this point, I'm not sure what I think yet. However, I want to bring back the thread to the original topic. Anybody have any ideas on how Satan may have possibly gotten the other angels to side with him in his rebellion against God?