What was your wedding ceremony like?

Discussion in 'Controversial' started by Scooby_Snax, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

My husband and I were married at The Little White Chapel in Las Vegas by a female minister.
    No, we were not not drunk at the time... :D

I do not remember what she said, but I remember agreeing with what she said.

It may not have been a "Traditional" church wedding, but I remember being very comfortable with the vows, and what she shared about God and His Love.

Anyway, I asked this because I attended a "Christian" wedding ceremony recently.
    (outside at a private home, not at a church)

Compared to the Little White Chapel ceremony it seemed "gimmicky" to me for a Christian wedding.
    (I will use Duck Dynasty as an example)

Feel free to share or not, of course.
    Maybe a good question would be: Did your pastor marry you?
    Someone you hold in great regard, or someone who was hired?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I think we had a fairly traditional marriage ceremony. Our church was pastorless at the time so I asked my previous pastor to officiate, which he did. It was in our church building, typical vows and a short message from the pastor. I do recall his title clearly: "Marriage is a death sentence."

3. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

Woah..that says it all without telling people who wouldn't understand it was not a joke!

4. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

We were married in our former church. Which for both of us was our first "protestant" Church. Which we later found out was a cult. Not an extreme one, but a cult nonetheless.
    And the ceremony was performed by one of the associate pastors.
    From start to finish I'd say probably less than 30 minutes.

5. teddyv

Our ceremony was probably over an hour. My wife, being a teacher had a bunch of her kids from school do a song, members of a choir she was with performed a choral piece, another friend of hers played a piece on the french horn during the signing. Plus several hymns and other songs. There was lots of music involved

6. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

We also had a song and a dance during the ceremony. My wife had actually gone into the studio at church and they did a recording of her singing a song. Don't remember the title, but the chorus of the song was "Flesh of my flesh and bone of my bones."

7. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

I was glad to hear I was not the only person who was overwhelmed by planning a wedding in recent conversation.

That is why, even though we were engaged, and not planning to wed in Vegas, the option was easier for me to choose once we took to the road and arrived--
    An over whelming anxiety accompanied planning and having a wedding and inviting family and friends who were spread out over the states, somehow.

I do miss a few things about having a planned ceremony, with at least a few friends and maybe my Mom and Dad present.

8. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL.

My wife's pastor married us.

I wrote the ceremony for the most part.

I played the piano and sang a song I wrote at the start of the service

9. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

Submissions of transcripts are allowed. :)

10. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

Just processing: It seems to me that no matter what, the participants hearts and minds in commitment are the main idea.
    A minister may be a formality when two people are ready, or if very close to the couple, a special blessing.

11. RabbiKnife

God and the man and woman do the marrying in a three way contract....

The minister has no power, just traditional.

I love my wife more now than I ever dreamed possible.

The minister who did the ceremony, it turns out, is nothing more than a conceited arrogant windbag of a fool.

I wish we would have done something entirely different and skipped the churchianity(tm) exploitation and manipulation.

12. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

Thankfully you did not marry him then. :)

13. RabbiKnife

pi-in-face

Good one!!!

14. teddyv

Our pastor looked almost like Gimli the Dwarf.
    Our reception was really good too. Lots of skits and comedy from a variety of our friends and family. We barely had time for the dance to get started (which is fine by me as I am no dancer).

Planning was certainly busy, but so many people took on various aspects that there was little that we had to personally be involved with - just picking halls, food, music, etc. So for the day, it was pretty realxing and enjoyable.

15. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

Married in a Reformed Church by the pastor of the Church. I wanted the text So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate on the liturgy and the topic of the sermon. But the pastor would not hear and refused because he found that offensive to my mother who divorced several times in her life. As a newborn in Christ (you know those full of fire and rudely radical) found that utter nonsense but he insisted and we finally settled for the wedding at Cana symbolizing that Jesus was invited on our wedding as main guest.

After the meeting with the pastor my wife in passing in a nonchalant way said our pastor (a fine man BTW) likely in his collection of sermons the Cana wedding was richly represented, Matt 19:6 sermons not so much, if at all. One lazy pastor :)

16. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

Trouwdag Ed & Lies.jpg

Ain't she pretty?

Scooby_Snax and TrustGzus like this.
  17. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

My wife and my's marriage was traditional except that we didn't plan any of it. Our friends threw us a wedding.

Scooby_Snax likes this.
  18. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Yeah, marriage can be a “death sentence” in a couple of ways. First, for a marriage to be good, you have to “die” to self. It’s NOT all about you. However, even if YOU are a good spouse, your spouse may NOT be, and if you stay in the marriage, it may be a “death sentence” to ever having a happy life again...

19. TrustGzus

TrustGzus Don't make me hangry Staff Member

Look at that hair on you! Hippy. :p

ProDeo likes this.
  20. teddyv

He was definitely referring to the former.

devilslayer365 likes this.