Watcha doin???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Liquid Tension, Jun 5, 2014.

1. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

Maybe stupid reasoning but faithful to Scripture. I can imagine (even believe) Gen 1,2 and 3 as a narrative framed in symbolism but Gen 5 makes it clear A&E were historic persons. How does TE (I assume you are) deal with that?

2. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I don't think there is one answer that a TE would give you on that. It is still completely possible the A&E were actual individuals and I'm sure I've read of some who subscribe to that. Others might claim they are representatives of humanity in the creation story. I am not particularly decided on it, but I would probably lean toward the latter. For myself, the larger truths of Genesis 1-11 are way more important than the historicity (at least as we understand history). I see Genesis as a story of Israel's history, giving them their identity after the years in Egypt.

3. ProDeo

That (for instance) would mean Gen 5 was made up.

4. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

Is it possible, to see "Adam" as simply adam (man) ?
    Put the word man in place of adam.

Genesis 5:1-2
    This is the book of the generations of Adam. When God created man, He made them in the likeness of God.
    Male and female He created them, and He blessed them and named them Man when they were created.

Here we have both male and female named man. The descendants are named only from Seth and in his line to Noah.
    It is not complete list of the children from man.

And this might need to be moved....

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  5. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Adam is used to refer to both humanity, and a specific person, so it wouldn't be textually appropriate to prefer one over the other out of that already established context.

6. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

ProDeo stated he believed that it was Genesis 5 that cemented Adam and Eve as Historical Persons due to (I assume) the line of descendants not Genesis 1,2, or 3.
    If one sees Adam and Eve as representatives of humanity, the story a narrative that is easy to understand--it is not a stretch for the line from Seth to Noah that are highlighted (without including all others born from the beginning) to imagine just how many others were born and not mentioned.

7. ProDeo

Yes.
    It is what Scripture (also) teaches, A&E are the sinning (without exception) representatives of humanity. I have other objections against Darwinism and TE, the genealogy of A&E in Gen 5 is just one. But those (I believe) have been discussed before. For years I have been looking for a theory that takes away all the thelogical and philosophical difficulties wherein everything fits -- that is to my standard (whatever that means) -- I found one wherein even evolution (guided by God of course) is acceptable, even makes sense. But then again Gen 5 spoils it all ;)

8. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

Saw my GI dr. for the last time yesterday. :D

9. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

Been playing in the house some more. Some years back I came to realise I had a roof-under-a-roof, leading to a crawl space that required a certain amount of contortionism to access. Recently I found that there was another crawl space under the lower roof, that was all but totally inaccessible to those with - ahem - a wider girth. Since getting at one was endlessly awkward and getting at the other was impossible I put just about all my power tools into service to fix the situation. I cut a strut to support one of the rafters, then cut away the boards between two rafters, then cut a rafter. Then for good measure I ran a light in there too, so I can see without endlessly trying to balance a battery powered work light so it throws enough light to see without having to endlessly stare at it.

It's been three days now and the roof hasn't collapsed, I can walk into the larger space and crawl into the smaller one with only a little difficulty. Ironically part of the difficulty is because of an extra brace I put between the cut rafter and the adjacent one...

IMINXTC likes this.
  10. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Hopefully, your wife occasionally checks to see if you're okay (or maybe toss you a porkchop).

tango likes this.
  11. tango

Usually she just leaves me to it, unless it's the kind of situation where I need someone else to help. That usually relates to wiring, where I'll poke a cable through a space and tell her to grab it and pull when she sees it appear.

12. teddyv

Just had one of those calls from some Indian guy claiming that I was having problems with my computer.
    My response, "Which one?"
    His response, "Can you tell me which one?"
    My response, "You just told me that my computer is not working properly, you should know which one."
    His response, "-CLICK-"

13. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

I had a guy from Merrilll Lynch call me at the office to solicit me for a home loan refinance. Note: I don't have a home mortgage. My admin caught the call, but I told her to put it through.

He starts his speil.
    I say, did you actually call me at work with a spam call?
    He says, "well, I wouldn't call it spam."
    I said, "Wait , this is an unsolicited sales call to someone with whom you have no business relationship and when I did not request tha call, correct"
    He says, "well, um...
    At which point I said, "That my friend is spam. I shall now sing you the spam song. And I started sing the spam song at the top of my lungs...

My partner and associate across the hall literally screamed with glee...

tango likes this.
  14. tango

Been pulling out some of the nasty cellulose insulation so I can run new cabling. Got another 60-70 gallons of the stuff today. I hate working with it, I use a dust mask but after about 30-40 minutes I have to stop because the dust mask ends up stopping me from drawing a deep breath. I shudder to think how much gunk would be in my lungs if I didn't wear it. I'm almost tempted to get some pieces of board and use the shop vac to just suck the stuff out rather than trying to scoop it, but the shop vac can only hold about 8 gallons so I'd probably spend as much time emptying it as doing anything useful.

15. ProDeo

No relationship to the topic, except that it is about a phone call. It was in the early days of internet and it was down again and so I called the helpdesk. After I had to answer a couple of questions if everything was installed correctly I got the advice: We currently can not help you sir, but please sent us an email and we will take care of it.

16. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

This afternoon? Sunning my tootsies at Ocean Beach:cool:

17. teddyv

Heading out camping for the long weekend.

18. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Italian grand prix, then... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Catching up on laundry.

20. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Enjoying sitting around my house and getting the day off from my job with pay. ;)