Trump vs Clinton

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProDeo, Mar 16, 2016.

1. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Clarify this.

2. Liquid Tension

Liquid Tension No, it's NOT a fish!!!

OK, this made me laugh. 0:0

3. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

It's all good. I have nothing against you personally. You seem like a decent person. We just don't agree on some things. It's not a major crisis. ;)

4. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I think I'm going to start crying from all this love here.

5. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Love? Now, now. Let's not get too carried away. I do have a reputation to keep. Or something. :p

6. Liquid Tension

Liquid Tension No, it's NOT a fish!!!

Oh shut up or I'll slap both of you.

0:0 ;.;. 0:0 ;.;.

7. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

Unemployment is only meaningful when it isn't massaged by government statisticians (and to be clear, governments of all flavors massage figures to make themselves look good). If the so-called "disillusioned" are no longer counted as "unemployed" because they've given up on ever finding a job and don't even bother looking any more, the figures get distorted. If the unemployed engineer is now gainfully employed mopping the floor at McDonalds because it's all he can find without a huge travel he's not technically unemployed but it's not like it's a great achievement for anyone to claim credit for creating his new job.

Further to my earlier comments about the Dow (and given it's hit new record highs the immediate aftermath of Trump's electoral victory), this is the sort of thing where people on both sides claim credit and assign blame in a way that just isn't consistent. You can't claim credit for the good things unless you're willing to take blame for the bad things, or give credit for other good things. Those that would seek to claim that Obama has done a good job because the Dow is at a record high would have to concede that the promise of Trump is even better, given the Dow rose higher still following his victory. Those who claim Obama has mismanaged the economy using the excessive Dow Jones level would have to concede that things have gotten worse with the promise of a Trump victory.

Since economic cycles don't fit neatly into four-year presidential terms it's pretty pointless for either side to claim that they can take all the credit, just as it's pretty pointless for either side to lay blame exclusively at the other side. But needless to say some on the right claim everything good is GWB's legacy and everything bad is what Obama ruined, while some on the left claim that everything good is Obama's doing and everything bad is the toxic legacy of GWB.

I wouldn't even call them hard numbers. They are hard in that they are objective, but very soft in that they only tell part of the story.

8. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

[​IMG]