The unconscious mind

Discussion in 'Humor' started by ProDeo, Jan 9, 2018.

1. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

Ever noticed a song pops up into your mind and wonder where it (suddenly) came from? In our home the radio is always on at a very low volume (hardly audible) because my wife dislikes silence while I like silence for a better concentration of what I am doing and so the low volume is the compromise which works quite well. It often happens that after I take a break from something I was fully concentrated on -- say programming on my PC, or reading an article -- a known song pops up into my mind. I have been paying attention on the phenomenon lately and realized that song was on the radio. And so I have to conclude the unconscious mind just picked it up? Makes me wonder what Freud and Jung would say about that. They probably would disagree :)

2. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

It's all about cigars....

3. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

Would that qualify as unconcious? Our brains are quite adept at filtering out unnecessary data when concentrating on things. But it's not like your ears and brain stopped processing those signals.

4. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

How about subconscious?

5. TomH

TomH Well-Known Member

It's your brain on a working vacation!

6. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

I have to agree here. We are sponges and don't know it.
    (We are not conscious about what we are soaking up)

7. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

I guess I'm not the only one that happens to. I'm EASILY distracted. Especially when it's really quiet.

8. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

9. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Exactly