the tree of the knowledge of good and evil

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProDeo, Mar 23, 2016.

1. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

16 - And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, “You may surely eat of every tree of the garden,

17 - but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

I think that in my life I have read these 2 verses 30-40-50, maybe even 100 times.

And only now I am asking myself the question why God would do such a thing. Why creating an obstacle? While at the same time saying everything was very good, thus including the obstacle. God must have had a very good reason for that, but what?

2. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Adam and Eve were newly created intelligent beings who had to grow in themselves and in God - they weren't created as finished products, as it were. This was one such opportunity to grow, to demonstrate their relationship with God (or not), to demonstrate their relationship and reasoning with each other, etc. You could possibly think of them analogically as AI, and this was a scenario to determine what kind of decisions the AI would make (before letting it out of the box, as the challenge goes).

Let's assume Adam and Eve didn't know anything about death, so 'die' is am ambiguous term they never bothered to clarify. Satan comes along and asks Eve about the fruit. She says she can't touch or eat it or she'll die, to which Satan possibly says something like, 'Did God really say that? Go ahead and touch it - you won't die'. God didn't say that touching the fruit would result in death, so of course nothing happens when Eve touches it. But she's under the impression that touching it would result in something called death. If the serpent was right about touching the fruit, then why not about eating it as well? To Eve's mind God would have been presented as wrong.

Adam now has the chance to correct Eve: no, God did not say that we would die if we touched the fruit but He did say that we would die if we ate the fruit. Instead he goes along with Eve and eats the fruit, seeing that she's eaten it and nothing adverse appears to have happened.

So we learn a few things:

1) What sort of intelligent being has God created?
    2) How do these intelligent beings interact with each other? How do they reason? etc.
    3) How do these intelligent beings interact with God? How about being caught in disobedience (do they lie, do they repent, do they shift the blame on someone else?)

In any case, that's how I tend to think about it.

3. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

With foreknowledge, the plan of salvation, -- an infinite sacrifice in the hypostatic person of Jesus Christ -- was necessary to solve the sin enigma forever --a free, human person was required in order to create the hypostatic union.

As a result, God was able to eliminate sin -- including Satan's rebellion -- forever without arbitrarily changing the rules vis a vis Q.

4. Athanasius

Well done Picard

5. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

One question that remains relates to who said what and to whom and who filled in the gaps with assumptions.

In Gen 2:16-17 God tells Adam that he can eat anything except the fruit from the forbidden tree. But Eve isn't created until 2:21-22. So it seems reasonable to assume that Adam told Eve the ground rules about not eating the forbidden fruit. The question is whether Adam embellished the rule with "do not touch" or Eve did.

So on that basis maybe something else we can take away from it all is that if we get the rules direct from the source we know what they are, but if we take them second-hand or third-hand or whatever else we don't know if we're getting the unadulterated truth. If we read it in the Bible ourselves we know what words are there; if we just blindly trust someone else who assures us that "the Bible says..." we could end up in all sorts of silly places.

6. ProDeo

Are you indicating the human race (with the above goal in mind) was created because of the satanic rebellion?

As such one can read your words.

7. ProDeo

A few words in general -

#1. God created the human race. Why? | What purpose ?

#2. Almost immediately God puts His creation to a test. Why? | What purpose ?

Undoubtedly there is a relationship between (1) and (2).

8. RabbiKnife

I don't have a problem with that construct. It is not offensive to anything that Scripture reveals about God, and is certainly consistent with the idea of the death of Christ being the sole solution to the sin enigma.

9. Athanasius

I think it presents two problems:

1. It suggests that the present creation was created because of Satan's rebellion, presumably to be some kind of lesson to him (going by what ProDeo has said in the past). This moves the primary impetus for creation from being positives about God's love for His creation, sharing in creation with humanity, etc. into negatives about showing Satan how terrible and wrong he was / is.

2. I'm starting to think that the idea is inconsistent with God's response to Job at the end of Job, and that there is something about this idea that doesn't square properly with God's character, attributes, etc.

But I suppose it depends on what ProDeo means by 'because of...'

10. RabbiKnife

I understand the concern...

I wasn't thinking of "because of" in an "express reason for in reaction to", but in a sense of "as a mechanism for"...

11. Athanasius

I took it the other way, so we must await clarification!

12. RabbiKnife

Probably not the right place for this, but for those wondering if I'm as opinionated in person as I am online....

First one, "More Than Palm Sunday"

http://b2gc.org/sermons

13. ProDeo

RK, "as a mechanism for" definitely sounds better than "because of".

Furthermore the questions I raised in post #6 (depending of course how you answer them) make a valid hypothesis about God's intent, goal and the final destination of mankind, the all-in solution for the problem of sin.

Add-up the fact God allowed satan (with his intelligence) to seduce 2 naive people having no knowledge of good and evil while knowing on beforehand the end result.

So the thought that Creation is linked to the satanic rebellion is not unlogical.

As I have said before, I am with one foot in the UR camp and thus believe that God created mankind with His loving intend to save it from sin then everything fits and outweighs all temporarily suffering.

14. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

So, I'm confused. You believe in UR. Universal reconciliation. The belief that all mankind eventually gets saved by God. How do you square away that notion with, well, scripture that bluntly indicates some people do go to hell? ??? I mean, the idea of "universal reconciliation" is nice. Who wouldn't want to see all mankind saved? Problem is it's NOT what scriptures states.

15. Athanasius

What do you mean if you're swapping out 'because of' with 'as a mechanism for':

What I'm asking is how is the human race a 'mechanism' for the Satanic rebellion? (And can you answer in such a way that creation doesn't become all about Satan, or imply that Satan is God's most loved creation?)

It's a valid hypothesis if you can provide Scripture to support the view, that Scripture being...?

It wasn't a test of intelligence.

Nor is it logical.

Eternal salvation outweighs temporary suffering UR or not. But I'm not sure what this has to do with UR, unless you're suggesting that Satan too is saved?

16. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Satan can't be saved. Scripture BLUNTLY indicates he gets thrown into the lake of fire. That's a bad thing. ;)

17. Athanasius

Well it's not very 'universal' if it only applies to humans ;)

18. ProDeo

Only now? Lucky you, I am 24/7 :)

Partly, can't make up my mind. What I said, one foot, not two.

UR is indemonstrable from Scripture although there are a lot of indications. The same applies for Annihilation. For a 21th century reader the most logical interpretation is ECT, the mainstream Protestant dogma since centuries.

However I have no intention to redo another UR discussion as it would ruin to my own thread. I merely named it in response to something KG said as if (some sort of) UR is true then it would definitely change my understanding of God's character.

19. ProDeo

You are gifted to make an already difficult topic even harder ;) Of course I mean no such thing, the thread is about understanding God. How can we truly know God if -

#1. We don't even understand why He created us?

#2. We don't understand the need for God why He (more or less) immediately put A&E on a test?

#3. Why He allowed satan to seduce A&E knowing on beforehand how it would end?

#4. Was it God's will that satan seduced A&E? It was God's will that Jesus was tempted by satan.

#5. A&E were punished, why did their offspring received the same punishment?

There must be answers.

20. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Fair enough. I started another thread about UR. I asked people to show in the Bible where UR is discussed. I don't believe the Bible teaches that all mankind, and even angels, get saved, but if people can convincingly point out where it does maybe I will change my mind?