The NIV/NET appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by devilslayer365, Apr 18, 2017.

1. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Depends on how accurate your definition of "accurate." is.

:)

2. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Quite clever you are!

3. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

Or do we want precisuon over accuracy?

4. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

Generally speaking, the NKJV is a very accurate translation of the Scriptures. Actually, while I tend to read CSB or ESV or NIV, when I'm listening while I drive, I listen to NKJV.

5. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Scientists....

pffffft

An excellent example of the importance of clarity in meaning of words. One can be precise, but very inaccurate. Or one can be accurate, but very imprecise.

Or, one can be inaccurate and imprecise, or accurate and precise.

Language.....

6. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Seems to me you have no other choice, unless you're going to be suspect of the NKJV for no reason, but trusthworthy of those who tell you it's not accurate -- again, for no reason.

7. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Well, to be quite honest, I apparently have no real way of knowing which translation is accurate and which isn't. I guess I just have to hope whatever I'm reading will be sufficient for me to learn what God wants me to learn from His Word. I just don't particularly like, though, having to "hope" what I'm using is good enough, but, again, I have no way to know for sure.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  8. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Well, let me give you an example. If I read something and it says, "the ball is red," I would hope to come away with the understanding that the ball is red, and not think it possibly meant the ball is blue, or maybe even green. Because if what it says is, "the ball is red," yet it actually means, or, at least may mean, the ball is blue, then it's not really making an accurate statement, is it? That's how I would like any translation of the Bible to be...clear in what it's saying, so that I can understand it, and it be accurate in what it says.

9. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

There are instances in the Bible where the phrase 'whiter than snow' is used. How would this render any meaning to someone from the tropics who have never seen or experienced snow?

10. TrustGzus

Aaron, do you have any justified reason not to trust any translation you might read? Any "ball is blue" examples?

I did that extensive post on John 3:16. Even with the differences, the differences are small. It's not like John 3:16 says something completely different in any translation.

11. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I can't think of any at the moment. I guess I get what you're saying.

12. Athanasius

Don't be thick; you can easily find out which translation(s) are accurate. Here's John 3:16 in Greek:

οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον, ὥστε τὸν υἱὸν τὸν μονογενῆ ἔδωκεν, ἵνα πᾶς ὁ πιστεύων εἰςαὐτὸν μὴ ἀπόληται ἀλλ᾿ ἔχῃ ζωὴν αἰώνιον

Here's Bill Mounce to get you started: https://billmounce.com/greek (basically all you need to do is look up these words in a dictionary, https://billmounce.com/greek-dictionary).

Here's the NKJV rendering of John 3:16:

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

If your translation matches the NKJV (the word order will of course be different, and more repetitive), then you would know that the NKJV is accurate, for you've read and translated the Greek yourself. Then ask yourself: how many such verses do you need to translate, to compare to the NKJV, before you accept that it's accurate? As I said, you can't be lazy, and complaining like you're doing is lazy.

13. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

No, my complaining isn't "lazy." It's merely expressing frustration.

14. פNIʞƎƎS

Where does the frustration come from though? If it's just the opinions of others, who cares. If it's someone who has a great knowledge of the original languages and presents a problem, then be concerned. But I don't believe that's the case.

15. TrustGzus

And I might point out that many of the scholars that work on one translation worked on others.

Romans says the same thing whether I pick up a KJV, NKJV, NASB. NIV, ESV and CSB etc.

It's not like any of these have a different Romans (or John or Philippians etc.).

16. Athanasius

But frustration at what? You can easily learn to translate Greek yourself, then compare with existing translations, and know - rather than hope you know - what the original Greek actually says (hint: exactly what you read in your English translations).

17. TrustGzus

James White says not infrequently that people will ask him what this or that means in Greek and he will answer "the same thing it means in English."

18. Dani

Dani You're probably fine.

A scholar and a gentleman for sure.

19. Dani

Dani You're probably fine.

I've been reading the NET lately also and I like it a whole lot. The built-in commentaries are super helpful IMO also. I use Youversion normally, on my tablet at home and my phone at church. I had eSword installed at some point but never (yet) got around to using it.

20. פNIʞƎƎS

Do you use the Lumina website/app? It has 2 columns. Left side text, right side notes or commentaries.