Sifted Like Wheat

Discussion in 'Bible Chat' started by IMINXTC, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

I've heard a lot of topical preaching, a lot of 'expository' preaching that doesn't stick to the text, and only rarely very good expository teaching - maybe only 2 churches that I can think of, one of which we're considering moving to.

2. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Does God get angry at you if you go through "trials and tribulations" and you don't exactly "rejoice about it?" Like, say, your wife gets cancer, suffers horribly, and ends up eventually dying from it? If you aren't exactly dancing a jig now that she's dead, instead, you're racked with grief, does God see you as rebelling against his command to rejoice in all things? ???

3. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

Romans 12:15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.

4. Dani

Dani You're probably fine.

That's not a command from God, it's an instruction from Paul. Paul also said (as has been mentioned) to rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep, so obviously there's a time and a place for everything. That's not contradictory at all. Paul also acknowledged that it's more than appropriate for believers to mourn after a loved one dies, but not without hope as unbelievers do, but instead with an eye toward the resurrection and the firm hope to see that loved one again.

The grieving process is something God gave to us to express the loss we suffered and work through it, so of course we're encouraged to do it, yet without falling into despondency because we have that hope of the resurrection and we know death is not the end.

5. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

"Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience." James 1:3

Very brief, but we can delay the purpose of trials.

This idea, moreover, that the believer is always at perilous risk of angering God is not NT scriptural.

6. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Yeah, I've never been good at enduring "trials and tribulations." I don't particularly enjoy them. I just try to endure them the best I can and I try to learn from them and learn what not to do in the future if I did something to bring them on myself. I guess I worry about angering God because it just seems like there's so much we can do that He hates and calls sin. I just feel I don't measure up to His standards of righteousness.

7. Dani

Brother, when God is actually angry with you, you'll know it because you'll probably be dead.

Besides if you go about actively doing good to others and loving them, then you'll have much less opportunity to sin. Life as a believer isn't about avoiding sin (so as to not anger God or whatever), it's about actively loving other people and helping them in their struggles and hardships.

8. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

It's not a competition, but guaranteed I have you beat ;) My solution? Don't stay up by myself. While I should be able to resist sin, for me it's more about avoiding the situation altogether.

9. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Whoa!

Today will mark tremendous progress and a genuine sense of liberation in a lengthy and difficult struggle.

I had, for years, been entrenched and locked in a battle with a fierce, dominating and manipulative person who had, until now, had a certain power over aspects of my life, particularly things pertaining to ministry and service.

Not only have I been extracated from this highly toxic relationship, but, more importantly, was given an insight into the circumstance whereby I know the Lord is with me in this.

I hope to continue the thread in such a way as to detail this experience in a, hopefully, edifying way.

Free, free at last! 8)

10. Dani

Nice!

Soul-sucking, negative, toxic people are the pits. I know what you mean.

11. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Thanks, Dani :D

12. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I am also having that lovely experience of how one person can simply take all enjoyment out of an activity.

13. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Let me assess that statement and run it through my elitist, control freaky, fundamentalist oversight - let you know what I think.

14. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Interesting.

Astounding the amount of stress involved in driving professionally in a place like the Bay Area, and greatly compounded by a thyroid condition.

But rather than being immediately delivered from it (I wish), one learns to control it, minute by minute, without medication or even supplements.

I'm assured the ordeal won't be forever, but there really is a silver lining - hard work and quick-paced training are ultimately theraputical. 8)

(Unless I simply up and croak :().

15. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

This last year, or so, has been marked by a great many believers testifying of very intense, difficult and, oftentimes, unnerving spiritual battles - those types of struggles wherein a believer's very faith, or relationship with God through Christ is being fiercely shaken.

Folks need to come together and, freely discussing these issues, try to get to the bottom of this currently very common experience and to prayerfully strengthen, encourage and refresh each other and the body as a whole.

16. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

Maybe do as Peter, go fishing and wait.

17. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

To be blunt, as I always am, I think many Christians, including myself, are just tired. We're tired of being told things like, "Be of good cheer, for the Lord has overcome." Ok. Great. The Lord has overcome. I, however, have to continue this Christian walk and it's anything but easy, despite the fact that Jesus says our yoke will be light. We get to trudge along in this crappy world and do the best we can wondering when our deliverance will be here. I know what I say isn't "Christian palatable" for most believers, but believers aren't supposed to lie and I'm just being honest about how I see things...

18. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

I, for one, will be back to try and address the above post in detail, Lord willing.

19. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Don't get me wrong. I have no intention of becoming an apostate and renouncing Christianity. I know that rejecting God and going back into the world is not a good place to be. However, I'd be lying if I said I've never felt that being worldly would, in so many ways, make my life easier. I'm not going to lie. In some ways, I was happier and my life was less stressful as an agnostic.

Christianity has it's virtues and it's good points, to be sure, but to say it's all roses and everything about it is wonderful is an outright lie. Christianity is hard work. And, to be brutally honest, I've asked myself, on more than one occasion, "What the hell am I doing?"

I think that my bluntness is one of the reasons why I'm not liked much by other Christians. I think I make other Christians uncomfortable. I don't fit their expectations of what a Christian is "supposed" to be like. I don't say the things a Christian "should" say. I guess they see me as some kind of freak. After all, I'm not quite a total heathen, as I'm a believer, of some sort, but I'm not quite a total believer, either, as I have doubts, questions, confusion, and resentments about God, Christianity, and other believers.

It's taken awhile, but I'm kind of getting to the point where I don't care so much about what other believers think about me. I'm willing to listen to what they have to say about various things, but I'm kind of done with worrying about if they think I'm, overall, a decent person or if I'm a scumbag loser.

20. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Oh no, I never thought you were about to leave the faith or anything so drastic.

I've been working on a series of responses based on a study I did years (decades) ago and which helped me tremendously.

Your candid post is very timely and not so different from what many seem to be saying, lately.

I'll be switching to the tablet shortly and as time allows:)

Thanks for your honest contribution:)