Should the U.S. eliminate borders?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by devilslayer365, Dec 30, 2015.

1. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

So, the thread I started about illegal immigration has spawned another thought. Since so many people here seem comfortable with the idea of illegal immigrants sneaking into the U.S. and committing various crimes, does anybody have the courage to say, "Let's just get rid of the borders to America. Let anybody and everybody in with no questions asked?"

2. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

So many? Did you do a poll with everyone voting on that I missed?

3. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

No one has said anything of the sort.

4. TomH

TomH Well-Known Member

Don't know how you figured that out from the thread.

5. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

Well that escalated quickly..................

6. Liquid Tension

Liquid Tension No, it's NOT a fish!!!

Carrots. The answer is always carrots.

7. TomH

TomH Well-Known Member

If we had some ham, we'd have ham and eggs!!

(If we had any eggs)

8. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Nope. With a few people talking about needing to have sympathy for illegals, that pretty much seemed like a pro-illegal immigrant stance. That being the case, why not just open the borders? That way, there wouldn't be "illegal immigrants." Everybody that wants to live here could, well, live here.

9. TomH

TomH Well-Known Member

Patriot that you are Aaron, I'm sure you can tell us a bit about this and what it means to you...

New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
    Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
    Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
    Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
    The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
    "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
    With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

10. Athanasius

There's something to be said for trying to understand what people are saying.

11. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Oh? Please, do tell, what you believe "others" to be saying, then.

12. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

No...applesauce! ;)

13. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Ok. It's a poem written for immigrants that came through Ellis Island in New York. From what I can tell, those immigrants didn't come here illegally, though. What's your point?

14. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Depending on the nation(s) involved.

I look for a comprehensive treaty system allowing for free travel and the right to work between participating signatories.

This would involve an ID card for each individual based on background checks approved by both the US and treaty nations.

Each individual would need to meet employment standards for whatever country he/she travels to and US employers would be under serious penalty for not entering the ID code.

Any individual not producing such ID would be deemed illegal and subject to deportation or stronger penalties.

15. TomH

TomH Well-Known Member

Aaron, I'll be blunt.
    It seems you're constantly in conflict with yourself.
    You're on one hand, a red, white and blue, flag waving American.

On the other, you're a professed Christian.

Seems that you've been, in the past, in conflict with Gods Commandments,

But when it comes to the U.S. Of A. Well, there's no conflict at all.
    In a sentence,

"I'm commanded to love my fellow man but, if they're IN MY COUNTRY illegally, all bets are off!"
    Which takes precedence in your life?

16. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

So, you advocate what? No laws need to be obeyed? As Steven Curtis Chapman sings, "It's all about love, love, love, love, love?"

17. TomH

TomH Well-Known Member

It's about I obey the laws.
    Anything ele is not my concern. I simply vote for the people I want to make the laws.

18. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

In many ways I don't have an issue with doing exactly that sort of thing.

If we have our laws that are enforced, if someone from Mexico wants to come to the US to live and work, why is it such a problem if they do? If they want to live in LA, well, LA is an expensive place to live so they had better have a means to support themselves. If they find LA is too expensive they can try their luck elsewhere or ultimately go back to Mexico.

I think a large part of the problem is when people come here and the government then starts giving them free stuff. If the welfare system were massively scaled back and put back into the hands of private charities there would be far less reason to restrict people coming here to live. We might argue based on "they are taking our jobs" but if a Mexican is a better candidate for the job than an American why shouldn't they get it? It makes the company more competitive, which would hopefully mean they could create more jobs down the line.

If the message to people outside is "come and live here if you want, just don't think we're going to pay you to do it" then the chances are the ones that will come are the ones that want to build a better life. And if they start soaking up private charity, that's not a problem either. If I'm giving my own money away I get to give it to whoever I choose, in this country or elsewhere.

19. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Do you feel this way about all nations, or just the United States? Would you like to see a world with individual nations done away with and without borders? Anybody can go wherever they want without hassle? Do you think it's going to happen anytime soon?

20. Athanasius

Ever been in the EU?

And to your earlier reply to me: you can be empathetic, or sympathetic, towards illegal aliens without also advocating for some Lennonesque nation with no borders (a dumb notion for the present age).