Scared to Witness? Try this.

Discussion in 'Devotions' started by Graceblest, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Graceblest

Graceblest Member

I have been a Christian since I was 7. I am also the wife of a retired minister. Yet, I have to confess to sometimes being leery about witnessing. Why? Because I am afraid that I will fail to say the right thing or know what to say at all. I don't want to say anything that will turn anyone off from receiving Jesus. Yet', I know that the Great Commission is my Commission! However, today, I had a totally unique experience , one that has been a revolution in my approach to witnessing.

There is a group of men who meet at one of our local McDonald's for breakfast every morning. I am there many mornings because of my husband's work schedule. There is a wonderful little devotional for women that is called simply Journey. Usually I don't take it with me to McDonald's with me, but today I did. Some of these men are believers, but some are not. As I sat there eating, I had a strong urge from the Lord to bear witness. However, when weak-kneed me was struggling asking the Lord to reveal to me what to say to these guys, the Lord said, "Open your Journey. I'm not going to get into the devotional message, but it was the Scripture that the Lord used to show me exactly what to say. The Scripture was from Psalm 139:13-18. In that passage the Psalmist says, "I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are your works and that my soul knows very well." The devotion was great, but it was God's Word itself that made the impact and gave me the emphasis! I got up, went over to the table and said "A word from the Lord for you fellows: You are fearfully and wonderfully made by a mighty big God who loves you deeply. Love Him back. Love Him Back. Love Him back!" As my last words came with all the love and compassion that the Lord could give, one of the men, whom I feel really sure is a believer said, "Amen". How the Lord will use that on the fellows that don't know the Lord, I don't know, but I truly believe I saw some very serious thought about it.

Moral of the story: stay in the Word and allow Him to use His Word to flow through you as you witness. You can't freak over Him using His own Word coming out through your mouth to be the Word people need to come to know Him or to grow closer to Him. As long as I am in His Word and asking Him to speak it through me, I need have no fear. After all, the Holy Spirit really is the only soul-winner. He just wants to use us as His mouthpieces!

By the way, witnessing is NOT a suggestion for the believer. It's your Commission! Don't believe me, read Matthew 28:18-20. Those aren't my words, they are the Words of the Living God!

Scooby_Snax likes this.
  2. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

Fortunately we are not called to convert others to Christ but to give reason for the hope you have.

3. Graceblest

Graceblest Member

So true, David, and that is great! And the closer we are in His Word, the better equipped we are to present that hope! My heart is that I truly wish EVERYONE would come to know Him. I thoroughly understand that that won't happen. But I still have grief for the fate of those who won't.