Proper Christian response to Orlando shootings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RabbiKnife, Jun 13, 2016.

1. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

So, the people that REALLY, REALLY want lots of government in their lives...do you suppose it's because they didn't feel loved enough/safe as children and "government" has become their substitute mommy and/or daddy in their lives? ???

2. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

No.

It is because they have broken the 4th and 10th commandments.

The fourth says 2 things. First, it says to remember the Sabbath. Second, it says to complete all your work in six days. By implication, that means you have to work.

Paul's corollary was "is you don't work, you don't eat."

The 10th commandment forbids coveting your neighbors stuff. The modern equivalent is demanding that the rich pay so that you don't have to work.

The really,really want more government because they are sinful and do not understand the grace and glory of God.

3. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Off topicish but for Aaron to think about.

There's a theory going around that the current generation of coddled University students are a result of mom and dad both working, leaving their kids to compete with 12+ other kids for attention from a tired daycare worker, and them not getting that attention. When they enter into University, College, or whatever else, they do so with the emotional maturity of a 5 year old, hence all the screaming, lists of demands, demands for space spaces, etc.

4. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Hmm. That actually makes sense.

5. Athanasius

Also probably has to do with children not being allowed to properly play, but now that's really off topic.

6. Athanasius

Aside from Paul's corollary, I hadn't thought about it in these terms before. Good stuff!

7. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

I remember when I was at school the rule was simple. At breaktime you go outside into the playground. The only exception was when it was raining (and a few spots of drizzle didn't count as "rain"). We went into the playground and ran, shouted, basically burned off excess energy. Then after break we went back to class.

Nowadays it seems that boys in particular are expected to not run and shout and build forts and play soldiers and put itching powder down the back of girls' dresses but to just sit still and be calm, and then we wonder why they have all sorts of pent up energy that releases somewhere else. Throw in the growing lack of adult male role models and it's not a recipe for societal success.

8. Athanasius

Modern education - whether it admits it or not - holds the behavior of girls as the ideal standard, which is part of the reason why there's a shift in demographics (especially in the UK) in graduate, post-graduate, etc. programmes - it's more and more women, and less and less men (and of course I can anecdotally attest to this. In the 4th year of my BA I was either the only male in the class, or it was me and other other guy). So as they say (do they say?): the perfect male student is female. Christina Hoff Sommers has a few good books on the subject. It's a problem that's going to get worse as time progresses, especially as the media pushes the now outdated idea that women are somehow disadvantaged (poor white males perform the worst of any group).

I wonder if I've internalized that, something to think about.

9. RabbiKnife

Hope you haven't been conditioned to be a Beta...

"… all wear green," said a soft but very distinct voice, beginning in the middle of a sentence, "and Delta Children wear khaki. Oh no, I don't want to play with Delta children. And Epsilons are still worse. They're too stupid to be able to read or write. Besides they wear black, which is such a beastly colour. I'm so glad I'm a Beta."

There was a pause; then the voice began again.

"Alpha children wear grey They work much harder than we do, because they're so frightfully clever. I'm really awfuly glad I'm a Beta, because I don't work so hard. And then we are much better than the Gammas and Deltas. Gammas are stupid. They all wear green, and Delta children wear khaki. Oh no, I don't want to play with Delta children. And Epsilons are still worse. They're too stupid to be able …"

Aldous Huxley, Brave New World, Chapter 2

10. Athanasius

They've given me this drug called soma, guessing I shouldn't take it then?

11. RabbiKnife

Yeah, first time they gave that to my wife for a back injury I just about lost it I laughed so hard!

Ford on a flivver.!

12. tango

When I was at university (back in the early 90s) there was a relentless push that committees should have an "equal opportunities rep" which was little more than a fancy word for a "women's rep". Yet curiously when four of the six existing positions were occupied by women the fact that there really wasn't a need to make sure women were fairly represented was lost on those who were pushing for it. Maybe five out of seven is more equal than four out of six. Maybe it really is just that all animals are equal but some are more equal than others.

13. Athanasius

I can imagine (RK) xD

After my cancer surgery I made relentless fun of other people in the recovery room, to the great amusement of the old guy who was beside me (I'm assuming RIP); insisted I couldn't drive myself home because I didn't have my pocket KJV, and otherwise invented Jack Sparrow before Johnny Depp ever thought of him. Turns out the stoned version of me is quite the thing to see

14. Athanasius

It's not really about equality, is it? ;)

15. RabbiKnife

Four legs good, two legs bad.

16. tango

Fixed that for you.

17. RabbiKnife

Ah, the revised latter edition.

18. Athanasius

It's triggering, better use a trigger warning before someone suffers PTSD should their eyes glance over it. Also it's ableist, just because.

19. Dani

Dani You're probably fine.

Could be. In western civilization, the "sissification" of the modern male (for lack of a better term) has been quite an astonishing thing to witness.

THE worst sin you can commit in the US of A these days is to prove yourself "insensitive". ::)

For all the technological advances we have enjoyed, along with the ease of living in our modern times, there's definitely been a lack of rite of passage, a consistent emasculation of men and weakening of women, and the abject and abiding fear of anything "wild."

When in fact we live in a crazy wild and violent universe, on a planet that spins wildly and violently about, all created and controlled by a God who is anything but tame.

Maybe go run around half-naked in the woods, slap some war paint on, carve yourself a spear from a tree branch, catch your own dinner, and get in touch with your inner wild child/boy/man, eh? Howl at the moon if you must, and grunt every so often, just because you can. Claim your manhood, and be proud of it.

It's quite okay to be 100% male. It's also quite okay to be wild and act thoroughly "uncivilized." God won't mind. Because He's wild like that. 8)

There's certainly also been a sissification of the modern female that's led to incredibly weakened women who don't know what it means to put on their adult pants, be unapologetically strong and resilient, and to not give their power away to every Tom, Dick and Harry out there and then complain that they don't have any left. Who want to live in a bubble that they then choose to raise their kids in where everything hard and challenging and painful is "bad".

I do think we're all made out of much, much stronger stuff than we give ourselves, and God, credit for. Truly.

20. Athanasius

And why not? The West is by-and-large easy living, especially if you're well off and live in the posh bit of a city. That alone make it much easier to sell a most idiotic narrative about men and (toxic) masculinity when you and your audience have hardly known the harsh realities of life. And when you don't teach men to be men, or that everything they do as men is sexism or misogyny in some form or another, then why not sing along...

[youtube]QgaRd4d8hOY[/youtube]

Oddly enough, some of the most pro-men groups I've come across are either made up of gay men or (mtf) trannys, otherwise you seem to get labeled as an MRA (the pejorative 'men's rights activist').

Gasp ⊙▃⊙

The strong woman! Who needs the administration to take care of them because of the evils of men complimenting them.

Aka. childhood.

Sugar, and spice... and napalm?