Proper Christian response to Orlando shootings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RabbiKnife, Jun 13, 2016.

1. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Self-reliance as historically understood in the USA and Canada always was in the context of neighbor helping neighbor. The point was that we have historically not been addicted to government services as our society is today.

I'm cynical about the ability of the other driver to not kill me, too.

I probably check mirrors 15 times a minute while driving, always looking for open shoulders, access to the median, vehicular alternative paths...

2. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

I naturally brace myself whenever I'm coming up to a crossing or intersection and there's a car (opposite direction) waiting to turn in front of me - just don't trust them not to do something stupid.

You'd hate driving in the UK.

3. RabbiKnife

I hate driving here with 4 million driving challenged individuals, many of whom believe that that round thing in front of the driver's seat is a rest for their phone while texting.

4. Athanasius

And they're the reason the government will make it prohibitively expensive to drive yourself around and force you to use a self-driving car

5. RabbiKnife

No, that's too easy.

The self-driving car is so that the government can (a) track all movements of private citizens by car and (b) take any private citizen into custody without warrant or notice simply by taking over the car's function. Sort of volunteering to enter an open cell, the door of which can be closed at any time.

;.;.

6. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Here that's called defensive driving, it's taught in driving courses and completion will get you an insurance discount 8)

7. Athanasius

Minority report, I Robot - they're real :O

And what a discount when I first got my license! 10+ years of no claims discounts doesn't hurt either ^_^

8. hisleast

hisleast FISHBEAT!

I'm more of a fan of Robert Heinleins concept of citizenship in exchange for service. Won't do a mandatory 2 years of state service? Can't vote. I'd even go so far as to say "not equal under the law". I don't care if you pick up litter, scrub the insides of sewers, or shoot a mouse between the eyes at 500 yards. You put your life on hold, sacrificed, and gave unconditionally to a collective idea.

But I don't think it should be restricted to military service. Not everyone is cut out for that.

9. RabbiKnife

I could make that work.

Service under arms could get a hiring or pay preference, except for those with conscientious objector status.

I could definitely make that work.

10. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

I'll regard it as "the new normal" when it happens often enough that it barely makes the headlines. Until then there's enough horror and outrage that it's not considered normal.

11. Dani

Dani You're probably fine.

Fact - you cannot wrestle evil into submission and make it go away by blaming and shaming.

Evil can only be combated with good.

Do as much good as you can, while you can, and in so doing reflect the nature of our good, good Father.

12. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

You won't have to wait long. That day will be here soon enough, unfortunately...

13. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I don't think RK is advocating that we don't need government at all. However, he correctly points out that too many people rely on government way too much. Seriously. Picture it. A giant sow, known as "government," lying on it's side with numerous piglets, the "citizens," happily and contently suckling on mama's teats, which are "government services." That picture accurately portrays too many people, including here in the good 'ol USA. Some government is needed. NOT to the point that many people are currently happy with, though. Although there ARE those who actually want government in their lives even more (god-like idol) than it currently is. I am definitely NOT one of those people, however.

14. RabbiKnife

You might be amazed at how little federal government I could live with...

15. Athanasius

There was an article going around about how scary and traumatizing firing an AR-15 is. It's this scary:

[youtube]ttMuvmspa8o[/youtube]

16. RabbiKnife

Not really happy with her trigger finger position or technique, but she's only 7.

She'll get there.

17. Athanasius

18. RabbiKnife

I suffer PTSD every time I squeeze the trigger.

Post Trigger Squeeze Delight.

19. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

That thing about the guy saying how terrifying it was to fire an AR-15 is really pathetic. I fired a few magazines through an AR-15 having not fired much of anything for several years. What did he expect to happen to the spent casings? Did he really expect a gun to be quiet? If this guy genuinely thinks he's got a case of temporary PTSD after firing half a dozen rounds through a rifle I shudder to think how he'll cope with something really traumatic, like maybe getting to the supermarket and finding there's no more sundried tomato foccacia left on the shelves.

20. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I'm right there with you on this issue...