Paul’s thorn: what was it?

Discussion in 'Controversial' started by devilslayer365, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

More atheist dirt on Paul - he was an epileptic, hence his visions.

2. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I don’t remember specifically where, but I read an article online awhile back discussing Paul’s “thorn.” Somebody chimed in for the comment section that Paul’s “thorn” was possibly a struggle with homosexuality. After all, they noted, he was single and often advocated celibacy as if being with women was horrible.

3. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I do remember some similar speculation from years ago as well.

4. TrustGzus

TrustGzus Don't make me hangry Staff Member

Only on a sloppy reading of Paul. Paul seems to advocate singles state over marriage. But in the same chapter he clearly advocates heterosexual marriage. Some people are ridiculous.

5. TomH

TomH Active Member

There's really no need to know Paul's personal thorn. What I've taken from it is the realization that I too have a thorn, a message from Satan. We all do. Whatever it may be, taking it to your inner room, speaking to God with the thorn on our shirtsleeve, God strengthens us to move beyond it.

Paul revealing that he had a thorn, to me, is Paul, again, voicing "wretched man that I am".

Going beyond that, it's a distraction from the Message. Speculation is a tool of Satans.

There's enough truth in Scripture to last ourselves a lifetime.

Let's study what is, rather than what could have been.

פNIʞƎƎS and teddyv like this.
  6. DaniH

DaniH You're probably fine.

People who make everything about sex have serious problems. Repressed much? Cripes. I will never understand the hyperfocus of church people on homosexuality. It's honestly disturbing. Like there aren't more important things to focus on and toss your hat into the ring over.

I'm still going with the obvious, that the thorn/messenger of satan (who is the accuser of the brethren after all) were simply people who made life excruciatingly difficult and put Paul in much distress and anguish. Because Paul was only human after all, and being persecuted and tortured and imprisoned and left for dead isn't exactly a walk in the park, for anybody. The man went through a lot. Jesus had shown Paul how much he would suffer for His sake, and Paul had agreed to that from the start. Even so, I'm sure there were times when it was just too much. I totally understand. Being a martyr isn't all it's cracked up to be, I'm sure of it.

7. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Honestly, I think many Christians, myself included, just find the idea of two men inserting their various body parts into the other’s various body parts to be a bit, well, “ick.” It’s even termed as “an abomination” to God in scripture. Definitely something He detests. With that said, though, I agree that homosexuality is not the “unforgivable sin” or maybe not even the “worst” sin one can be guilty of.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  8. DaniH

DaniH You're probably fine.

With pastors and preachers continually being exposed for adultery (and worse, pedophilia or some other kind of sexual assault, with the victims being emotionally blackmailed as well as spiritually and mentally abused and silenced) while also railing against homosexuality from their soapbox, I think we'd be better off busying ourselves with cleaning up our own front yard before we worry about what the world in general is up to, honestly. It's way too often being used as low-hanging fruit for deflection tactics. I'm sick of it.

9. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I get what you’re saying. But, you expect honesty, so, I was just being honest. Two dudes having anal sex is gross and two gals having oral sex is gross. It just is. Not politically correct to say, I realize, but it doesn’t make it any less true. But, yes, I agree that plenty of Christians are being hypocritical on this issue.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018 at 7:20 PM
  10. TrustGzus

TrustGzus Don't make me hangry Staff Member

Time to close this one up. Bottom line is we don’t know for sure what Paul’s thrown is and none of need an extensive discussion on weird sexual behaviors.

11. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

No kidding - closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.