Our leaders: Is this ok to pray for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by devilslayer365, May 1, 2016.

1. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Of course, if the UK votes 'out' the EU could simply force the UK to re-vote until they vote 'in', as they (the EU) have historically been known to do.

2. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

Sure, since ww2 they are flip-flopping about Europe ;)

3. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I'm going to start praying that if American leaders don't want to have to rule and make laws that are ok by the standards of the United States Constitution they'll be removed from office. Quickly...

4. Athanasius

The league of nations! We just voted, so now just to wait for the result.

5. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Not true. American Christians in government are not allowed to mix religion and politics. In this country, courthouses are not even allowed to have a Ten Commandments plaque on the wall. Judges are not allowed to reference God or Jesus. Anything Judeo-Christian in origin is a big "no-no."

6. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I think what he's getting at is that almost all US politicians will at least assume a Christian identity, and if they don't they will suffer electorally.

In Canada, our previous PM was by most accounts a fairly devout Christian, but it was never an issue of discussion and it was never promoted on the campaign trail.

7. Athanasius

For some reason 'separation of church and state' means that people care about those things, which is my point (as Ted mentions).

8. Athanasius

1 Timothy 2.1-5:

1 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people—
    2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
    3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior,
    4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

Why don't you instead pray that your leaders will be blessed, that as they govern the country will experience peace, security, and prosperity, etc.?

I don't think God cares very much about constitution, so why would that be the standard by which He acts?

9. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

The United States Constitution is the standard by which members of the United States government are SUPPOSED to be ruling. You know that. Don't feign ignorance about that. Same thing with your country. Your government has official ways that it's supposed to be run. So do we. It's called the Constitution. Those in government should be ruling in ways that align with the Constitution. If they think they're above it or the Constitution is "outdated" and they think they should be able to rule any old way they want...they need to be out of office. Period.

10. Athanasius

You've ignored the Scripture I provided and didn't answer the question. Why pray for the removal of a political l and not for what Paul urges Timothy to prayer for (under Nero of all people), and why should your constitution be the standard by which God operates in the US?

11. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I'm fine with people praying that their leaders are blessed. However, I'm also fine with leaders doing what they SWORE to do...uphold the United States Constitution. They didn't swear to uphold their personal views and agendas. Why am I supposed to be ok with leaders failing to do their jobs? I'm not saying God has to be held to the standards of the Constitution. I'm saying the leaders need to be. Or they need to step down from their positions. Why are you having such a hard time with my position? I want leaders to do their jobs correctly. Why is that "bad?"

12. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Why do you believe that the constitutionally directed political process of normal election cycles should be ignored?

13. Athanasius

Me or Aaron?

14. RabbiKnife

Devilslayer.

15. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Not sure what you're referring to. Please elaborate.

16. RabbiKnife

We, the people, are the governing authority in the US.

We have a constitutional election process.

Your prayer was that leaders you don't like be "removed quickly."

Are you advocating a change in our normal election cycle? Or are you advocating a significant lowering of the meaning of impeachment for "high crimes and misdemeanors"?

Impeachment is the end result of a failed election.

17. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Do we not currently have a means for removal of officials who refuse to abide by the United States Constitution? If not, we need to implement one. Well, unless as a country we're fine with government officials not abiding by the Constitution. If that's the case, why even bother to have it any longer?

18. RabbiKnife

1. Process is called "an election." We have them every two years for House of Representatives, every four for President, and every six for Senate.

2. For "high crimes and misdemeanors," we can impeach, but that is not a direct action by the citizens by an indirect action by the House of Representatives to bring the articles of impeachment and then a trial in the Senate.

Both are political processes that work just fine, as long as the electorate does their job in vetting candidates.

19. Athanasius

Because it's not the greatest position. Your attitude towards your leaders should be the same as what Paul urged Timothy his attitude should be. You can't pray, 'Jesus, bless our leaders with prosperity, success, peace, stability, a long term, etc.' - and that's quite the thing to pray when your leaders are actively slaughtering you - and then also pray, 'Jesus, by the way, I hate that they ignore the constitution for their own personal views and agendas so please remove them from office'. Isn't Christianity bigger than national politics? God has a plan, and I highly doubt it hinges on US politicians adhering to the constitution. Your focus is emphasizing the wrong thing if your (Christian) concern is determined by who upholds the constitution and who doesn't. You could have great leaders who couldn't care less about the constitution, and you could have terrible leaders who think God Himself wrote it. In the 'kingdom of God' scheme of things neither matters.

20. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I meant a means other than an election. How is it effectively removing somebody from office for failing to honor the Constitution if they get to serve their whole term while ignoring the Constitution? You have always come across as pro-Constitution. How do you feel when you see leaders ignoring it and doing whatever they feel like doing with impunity?