Our leaders: Is this ok to pray for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by devilslayer365, May 1, 2016.

1. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

So, I've seen Christians, such as Dani, maybe others, say we should pray for our leaders. Which sounds like a good Christian thing to do. I have a question, however. Besides their salvation, is it ok to pray for things like they wouldn't make such stupid decisions and create such stupid laws while in office? That they'd actually honor and abide by our Constitution? I'll be completely honest. I think many of our leaders are incompetent, corrupt, and too eager to be politically correct in order to get hugs and approval from society. I also think many laws our leaders come up with are either stupid, unfair, or unnecessary. If their bad decisions didn't directly impact my life, I honestly wouldn't care what they did. However, our leaders, and their crappy decisions, do often directly impact my life, therefore, I do care.

2. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

1 Timothy 2:1-7 may help.

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.

This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.
    For this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

3. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

That's great and all, but you didn't really answer my question if it's fine for Christians to pray that their leaders not do such a lousy job of leading. If it's not ok, I'd like to know why it isn't.

4. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I would not spend the time praying that they do not do a lousy job - that's not praying for them.

Pray that they seek God's will, that they govern with integrity, honesty, and humility.

5. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Isn't that the same thing as not doing a lousy job?

6. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

Should we pray that you don't do a lousy job as a husband and father, or should we pray that you do God's will?

7. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I think both are equally valid things to pray for.

8. RabbiKnife

What a strange view of humanity and God you have.

9. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

It is what it is, I suppose...

10. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

It's the difference between a positive and a negative. Praying that someone doesn't do a lousy job is not the same as praying that they do a good job, e.g. that they do God's will. It's simply focusing on a negative, praying that they don't do whatever you perceive as negative (whether or not it actually is is another question), all the while implying that you don't really care about the person you're praying for. Seems to miss the point of prayer, no?

11. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Well, however one wants to phrase the prayer, the bottom line for me is I'm not impressed with the way many of the rulers in my country rule and make laws. I don't know how things are where you live, but most of the leaders in the United States are corrupt, incompetent, arrogant, and completely PC obsessed. Their laws, as a result, are often stupid, unfair, and unnecessary. I'm not an anarchist, by the way. I concede that man absolutely needs laws and rules to live by. I just believe that, with few exceptions, we need people to be doing a better job of ruling than they do now.

12. IMINXTC

IMINXTC Time Bandit

Also, I think the gist of the Apostle's admonition is that we constantly pray for peace and stability in the realm, whichever realm, so that we can function as a spiritual body without the disabling pressures of lawlessness and political instability.

Paul did not encourage resistance to and dissent from the Roman Empire from believers, but called on the Church to maintain good citizenship for the sake of testimony and the furtherance of the Gospel.

A democracy is much more complex for the believer as he/she bears relative responsibility for the conditions of government.

But to get caught up political philosophies and idealistic mind-sets is not, imo, what he commanded or wished, and political stances are rarely mutually exclusive - the NT embraces both liberal and conservative positions at varying times, depending on who benefits. The goal in mind is social decency, law and order and justice.

13. Athanasius

Who cares, you asked about prayer not about what idiot number 2.

14. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I get that. I'm just trying to make clear WHY I'm praying for what I'm praying for.

15. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

Yeah, God's Word is great and all. It covers this area of praying for leaders. Not sure why so many people have an issue with praying for those running the Government.
    I see more cursing than anything.

16. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Actually, the Bible doesn't address in much detail what specifically to pray about for leaders. It just says to pray for them. Well, pray about what? As for why it's often hard for Christians to pray for leaders, I'm assuming it's because leaders often make our lives difficult with their laws, as some are stupid, unfair, etc. Leaders also constantly find ways to take more of our money from us and often spend it on stupid things. Honestly, it's pretty hard to pray nice things for people you don't really like.

17. RabbiKnife

Nero, of course, only ruled with dignity, fairness, and to make the lives of Christians easier.

:.:

18. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Did he live anytime in this century? Because that certainly doesn't sound like any current leaders that I'm aware of. :.:

19. Athanasius

The Roman Emperor Nero, infamous for his persecution of Christians. How do you pray for the leader who:

- Crucifies you, but also covers you with wax and sets you on fire during garden parties / to light his garden
    - Sews animal hides onto you so you can be eaten alive by dogs (think about that -- *sewing*)
    - Sews infested animal hides onto you then puts you into the sea
    - Probably lit Rome on fire and then blames it on you
    - Was the ruler of Rome when Paul was beheaded (re: Acts 9:16), and probably also when Peter was crucified (upside down, apparently)
    - Engages in all other manner of torture against Christians

You've got it great by comparison.

20. RabbiKnife

Nero was the ruler that Paul told Timothynto,pray for, and to instruct his church in Ephesus to pray for.