Ok to be offensive?

Discussion in 'Controversial' started by devilslayer365, Oct 7, 2017.

1. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I’m assuming that some here are familiar with Christian author and speaker John Bevere. He wrote a book called “The Bait of Satan.” The main point of the book was to encourage Christians not to take the “bait” of offense. We need to prevent bitterness from developing in us because of how lousy others, including other Christians, treat us at times. It’s a tactic Satan uses to divide us.

Honestly, I agree with Bevere on many points he makes. There is much truth to what he states. However, I do have this nagging feeling that he only gets half the story right. While it’s true we should do what we can not to be offended by others, we should also do what we can not to be offensive to others. I mean, if people aren’t being rude, hypocritical, condescending, arrogant, dismissive, etc., then it’s much harder to be offended by them, isn’t it?

It isn’t a “suggestion,” by the way, that we treat others decently. The Bible, in many scriptures, COMMANDS that we love one another. Treat each how we’d like to be treated. Lift each other up. I see nowhere in the Bible where it says it’s ok to take a dump on another believer. And, yet, that’s what many of us do.

Like I said, I agree with much of what Bevere says in his book. I suppose what bugs me about it somewhat, though, is that he kinda places the onus of things going well in the lives of believers on being “spiritually mature” and not being offended, while simultaneously not holding the “offenders” accountable for their ungodly behavior. They basically get a pass. Instead of a message of, “Hey! That behavior isn’t pleasing to God! Knock it off!” we get, “Well, they’re being jerks. But, don’t let it get to you.”

ProDeo likes this.
  2. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

John Bevere is an author. I don't think his theology is very good. When you try to Google him, his ministry websites About Us section basically just link you to their blogs so you buy their books (him and his wife). It took me some time to get info about him. I had run across his name in a reading plan on You Version.
    I always look up peoples belief before I read anything they write.

http://www.ukapologetics.net/09/bevere.htm

3. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

What particularly does he believe that leads you to believe “his theology isn’t good?”

4. פNIʞƎƎS

He's a follower of the Word of Faith / Prosperity Gospel / Health & Wealth Gospel. His associations with Benny Hinn and Brian Houston, who are basically the epitome of the Prosperity Gospel
    Did you read the article?

5. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Nah. Not yet. Benny Hinn? Oy. Yeah, he’s been exposed as a fraud with his “healing ministry.”

6. TrustGzus

TrustGzus Don't make me hangry Staff Member

What would alert me first as I look at christianbook.com is almost every book is published by his own ministry or Charisma House.

No thank you.

If a reputable Evangelical company isn’t publishing an author that’s a massive red flag to me.

7. פNIʞƎƎS

Now, having said all that. You're question in the OP is, "Is it OK to be offensive?"

It depends. If it's your desire to deliberately offend people to get them upset because it brings you pleasure? No, it's not ok to be offensive.
    If people get offended because you tell them something that's hard to hear but truthful and your trying to show them something in their lives? Yeah, that could be ok. So long as your intentions are good.
    Those are my thoughts on the subject.

ProDeo likes this.
  8. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Sure, I get that sometimes we have to tell people something they don’t like hearing and they’ll get “offended,” though they don’t really have a right to be “offended.” I was referring more to the other scenario, where people are “offensive” just because they’re turds.

Well, if it’s not ok, then why do so many Christians act so offensively with others? And why do other Christians give them a pass? I just don’t get it. I know some Christians have the gonads to put fellow believers in check. Some of you here have had to do it to me when I’ve crossed the line at times. But, others are kinda spineless.

9. פNIʞƎƎS

Do you have any examples of "so many Christians act so offensively with others" or "And why do other Christians give them a pass" from anyone here on the forum? Of from your church or something where this has happened to you?

10. TrustGzus

TrustGzus Don't make me hangry Staff Member

There’s a balance. It’s not all about gonads. The Holy Spirit sanctifies people way better than I do. Some people with “gonads” just have a mouth that doesn’t know when to stop.

There’s a time for quieter types to say something and call someone out and there’s times for those with “gonads” to talk to God in prayer about behavior they see in someone rather than trying to do the Holy Spirit’s job by talkng to the person directly.

It’s not always black and white.

11. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Depends on the context, but yes, it's okay generally.

12. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

You can see Christians being offensive all over the place. In person. In replies to each other on social media. Replies to each other on controversial subjects in comment sections of online articles when they disagree about something. Some of us (including me at times) do it here in this forum when things get heated because we disagree about something. It comes out in sarcasm, being condescending, snarky replies, one upping the other, etc. I actually think it has gotten better, but it has happened.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  13. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Sure, there’s some truth to what you say here. However, why must one have to “wait for the Holy Spirit to act” in the life of a jerk faced Christian who is not being very godly? If somebody is way out of line, other believers actually have a Bible based obligation to call them out on it. The Bible explicitly says to talk to your brother if he’s in sin. Well, being a butt face is sin. We’re COMMANDED by God in His Word to treat each other well (I’ll even quote some scriptures if you need proof). When we’re not treating each other well, being offensive in the process, we’re sinning. The Bible already tells us how to deal with that situation.

14. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL.

Many people claiming to be Christian are not.

I can only be responsible for me.

I've reached the point where I have very little concern for how others live.

15. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

So, as Christians, it’s perfectly fine to be a butt face to other believers?

16. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Well, it’s not so much “how others live” that is of concern to me, either. It’s more that they’re being class 1 a-holes to me when they really DON’T have to be and I DON’T particularly appreciate it when they do.

17. RabbiKnife

So you let them control you.

Ok

I choose not to give others that power

18. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Well, it’s not that I WANT to “give them that power,” but it’s pretty hard for me to suddenly not want to punch them in the face when they’re using their jerk skills on me. How do I “suddenly just not care” about what they’re saying or doing to me? How do you obtain that ability? Sheer will power? Also, by you ignoring them and not calling them out for their sin, even though the Bible says we should, aren’t you letting them have a pass for their ungodly conduct? How are you doing them a favor by doing that?

19. RabbiKnife

Die to self.

When you stop thinking that you matter, it becomes easier.

When you decide that you want to take their power away, you can.

Being a victim is, unfortunately, very comforting to many

20. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Ok, but you sort of sidestepped my question. If a Christian is being rude, condescending, disrespectful, etc., do we call them on it? The Bible very plainly says to confront your brother when he’s in sin. The bad behavior on their part is sin. If you don’t call them on it, besides disobeying God’s Word (which is bad enough), you are not doing them any favors by allowing them to continue as they are unabated. I was just wondering what your take on that is...