My first live YEC talk.

Discussion in 'Controversial' started by teddyv, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

Thanks. That's what I thought it might be but wanted to be sure.

2. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL.

OEC gap non serpent seed Adam first human specially created

3. TrustGzus

TrustGzus Don't make me hangry Staff Member

Commonly known as OECGNSSAFHSC.

4. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Oh yeah, and I also don't believe in an ontologically passed down 'sin nature', so that makes me like, super, super, super Pelegian.

5. RabbiKnife

Pronounce "Oh EeSee Gin Double Essay Eff Eight Chessy."

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  6. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

So THAT'S what Pelegianism is.

7. RabbiKnife

I thought Pelegianism was when you copied someone's homework...

8. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I thought it was a type of division.

9. Kierkegaard

It's whatever Augustine, Jerome, and Calvinists on the day decide it is. The typical accusation is that it's what I said, plus the belief that someone can live a sinless life, somehow earn salvation themselves, etc. Heresy, absolutely; something Pelegius taught? Not that I've read.

10. TrustGzus

What’s a Calvinist? Depending on what you read, James White is or isn’t a Calvinist. Sproul is or isn’t a Calvinist. I may be or may not be a Calvinist. But if I am a Calvinist, I’ll let you all know what Pelagianism is.

11. Kierkegaard

I'm obviously being facetious in light of the common internet phenomenon of self-styled Calvinists accusing Arminians of anything from semi- to full-Pelegianism. But, the Augustine / Jerome comment was serious: they had it in for Pelegius (and he wasn't kind in turn), and the group that won history determined the narrative.

12. RabbiKnife

I've always said that any good Calvinist has freely decided to be so of his own free will, and any good Arminian was just predestined as such.

13. TrustGzus

That’s a good line for BF.

14. RabbiKnife

You are welcome to it.

I, alas. Bell, book, and candle.
    Idcirco eum cum universis complicibus, fautoribusque suis, judicio Dei omnipotentis Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, et beati Petri principis Apostolorum, et omnium Sanctorum, necnon et mediocritatis nostrae auctoritate, et potestate ligandi et solvendi in coelo et in terra nobis divinitus collata, a pretiosi Corporis et Sanguinis Domini perceptione, et a societate omnium Christianorum separamus, et a liminibus sanctae matris Ecclesiae in coelo et in terra excludimus, et excommunicatum et anathematizatum esse decernimus; et damnatum cum diabolo, et angelis ejus, et omnibus reprobis in ignem aeternum judicamus; donec a diaboli laqueis resipiscat, et ad emendationem, et poenitentiam redeat, et Ecclesiae Dei, quam laesit, satisfaciat, tradentes eum satanae in interitum carnis, ut spiritus ejus salvus fiat in die judicii

15. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

I'm sure Teddy will have a stroke over this, and I'm going to get "learned," or whatever, but I don't quite 100% trust science, including his field of geology. After all, what we "know" as "scientific fact" is always "evolving" (yes, the pun was intentional). For the longest time, scientists have thought they knew how this or that worked, how this or that came to be, only to change their minds about it later after some new "discovery" caused them to believe differently about it. So, naturally, as a geologist, Teddy is going to believe the earth is billions, or at least millions, of years old. I'm not going to completely rule out that it is, but I'm also not 100% convinced it is. I've come to the humbling view that we know way less about God's creation, and how it all works and came to be, than we think we do...

16. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

No, that's Pelicanism.

17. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

The latests development in cosmology is the rapidly increasing number of galaxies in the Universe. While I don't have the exact numbers of (say) 10-15 years ago it seems science has gone from millions to billions in a relative short period of time. Each galaxy having billions of solar systems, each solar system having xx planets. Also the number of solar systems in our Milky Way galaxy seems to increase and increase.

Good news for atheist evolutionists, it favors their beloved opportunity principle, the bigger the Universe, the higher the chance things (for instance life) could spring because of the theoretical random opportunity has increased. They still need a lot of faith though :)

18. TrustGzus

I think all of this hurts the atheist position.

19. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

I have zero issue with you, or anyone else for that matter, holding this position. Do we know everything? Of course not. Most geologists I've work with are pretty realistic about that fact as are most other scientists.

20. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

There was a time when the church in Rome thought they owned the truth and were the "official" church of Christ. But history said otherwise. Change is not exclusive to science, it affects everything.