Modern day prophets

Discussion in 'Eschatology' started by Moxie, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Moxie

Moxie New Member

Thoughts on modern day prophets....heard a self-proclaimed prophet tonight. Personally, I did not believe he was a prophet. Lack of scripture references, and claims to hear from God most everyday...for several years now. In addition, each day's messages are very specific. There was no indication that he heard from God, then meditated on His Word or devoted time in prayer (and he may have but did not indicate this in his talk).

2. Athanasius

Athanasius Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

I hear from God everyday, too -- doesn't make me a prophet. I think prophets are like apostles: if someone is announcing it, they probably aren't.

But, lest we jump on the bandwagon. What's wrong with specific messages, and wouldn't 'hearing from God every day' imply that he 'heard from God, then meditated on His Word, [and] devoted time in prayer'? What's this person saying that could be construed as prophetic?

3. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

I let anyone call themselves a prophet that is willing to be stoned if their profit-sy turns out to be false.

Moxie likes this.
  4. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

We have a bunch of false profits down here in South Florida.

5. hisleast

hisleast FISHBEAT!

I have a couple thoughts!
    1) The title of Prophet is nearly identical to the title of Whore (is that the most offensive word for prostitution? I need to make sure)
    2) A prostitute and a prophet differ in one important way. A prophet wakes up every day looking forward to the rutting, grunting, vulgar acts of debasement they'll *happily* perform that day.

They are the smegma of the church: an offensively smelling waste product, excreted from dark places polite company prefers not to mention.

I may never step foot in a church again, but if I do, I will wear rubber gloves and a mask in a symbolic gesture of offense at sharing the same room with prophets, and the church that would hike its skirt up for them.

6. Moxie

Moxie New Member

I didn't hear anything I felt was prophetic. He read what he said was given to him at most things were paragraphs / pages long. What I heard seemed more to me like a person's own thoughts. As to reading the word and devotion to prayer, these things were not mentioned. I do realize it doesn't have to be; however, when prayer was mentioned it was fifth on the list of "things to do". So, it does make me wonder.

7. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

However if he "proficyes" that a specific thing will happen and it doesn't HE IS LYING!!!!!!

8. hisleast

hisleast FISHBEAT!

Do the courageous thing. Declare him the liar he surely is before the congregation. Demand signs. And when he fails (as I guarantee he surely will) shame him and cast him out.

9. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

I do not believe a Prophet need be announced. In these times, in Grace, I see a prophets distinction as encouragement...building up...but that's my opinion.

Moxie likes this.
  10. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

I think the Bible teaches that there are not prophets & apostles today. So, he is not a prophet.

11. RabbiKnife

Oh, I'm not so sure the Bible teaches that.

12. TrustGzus

TrustGzus What does this button do? Staff Member

The church disagrees on that today a lot more than in the past. It's one of the positions I've flipped on.

13. hisleast

hisleast FISHBEAT!

Even if the Bible allows for prophets in the modern age, I'll guarantee the dude in question is not one. I'll absolutely guarantee it.
    And seriously, the idea of God sending a prophet in this day and age, after centuries of Prophets sodomizing the church, and the church rolling its eyes in lust and BEGGING for another round or 5... why on earth would God send a legitimate one?
    It would be like praying for relief from cancer and God sending you the slimiest MFer you've ever seen to sell you snake oil liniment.

I wonder if this is why the old testament holds false prophecy as a capital offense? Because God has a major credibility problem now.

Moxie, tell this "Prophet" from me, to go eat a bag of goat members.

Moxie likes this.
  14. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

Moxie,

Have your church elders had anything to say in regard to this prophet?

15. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Provide scripture that even remotely says this. Thanks...

16. hisleast

hisleast FISHBEAT!

If scripture allows for modern prophets, then the performance of modern prophets speaks against the reliability of the scriptures.

17. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

The biggest problems I see with modern day Prophets and Apostles is that they thrive on power over the sheep, and lining up their pockets.

18. RabbiKnife

No, it only speaks to the reliability of those that call themselves prophets but are not.

19. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

Where in the Bible does it say there are no modern prophets?

20. Scooby_Snax

Scooby_Snax Rut-Roh

What the N.T. says in regard to prophets in The Body: Ephesians 4:11-15

Some believe the "office" of Prophet and "Apostle" are still in effect today, not to be confused with the spiritual gifts of those given to the church of prophesy or apostle. The church is built upon the foundation of The Prophets and Apostles, Christ being the Chief Cornerstone, so it is difficult for me personally, to consider and office of Prophet or Apostle during this current time, as if they are to be fit into that foundation somehow after the fact.

(Ephesians 2:19-21)

There are those that are not of the original appointed 12(13) Apostles, (included Judas) that are also called apostle. Paul is added later to the 12.
    James, Barnabas, Adronicas, Junious and possible others such as Timothy and Silas that had the spiritual gift of apostle.

My thoughts at the time...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017