Locked threads - please read

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tango, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

Following an issue with a thread that got locked, apparently by accident, we've had a bit of a discussion among the moderators to figure out what happened and to resolve things more quickly if it happens again.

Sometimes a thread does get locked by accident, especially when people use mobile devices. So we've created a standard that if a thread is locked it will have a moderator note on it to say why it was locked. Any thread that has been locked without an announcement was almost certainly locked by mistake, so if you see one please report it and we can get it unlocked to continue the discussion. Until it gets unlocked please don't continue the discussion in other threads because it only fragments things.

Hopefully it's not going to be a recurring theme but putting this into place means any one of us can unlock a thread, rather than having to make sure it wasn't locked intentionally.

2. Graceblest

Graceblest Member

A hearty a;m;e;n;!

I don't like those curse words either, whether in this forum or in general conversation. Here are a couple of approaches I have used when confronted with them.

For one person, I gently placed my hand on his shoulder and asked, "Do we need a vocabulary lesson here? I'm an English major." He was pretty contrite and said, "No, I have it under control." And he has, at least around me. By the way, I'm still praying for his salvation!

But it is when the Lord's name is added in vain that I get really upset. But again, I've approached it gently but firmly. I simply said, "I really don't care for such language, but PLEASE don't put my Best Friend's name in front of it!" That really seems to have solved that issue! No more of that among that group at least when I'm around them.

3. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

My dad once came up behind someone starting to use the Lords name in vain and before he got further than the proper name he grabbed him by his arm and said "I'm sure glad you know my savior." Like you, that man watched his language around Dad from then on.

4. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

:l:; :p

5. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

This thread was intended more a a notice than a discussion so I'm going to lock it here. That's not to put an end to the discussion - feel free to start a new thread. If you'd like the posts in this thread moved into a new one just let me know.

BlueSky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.