Landmark, not Landmarkism

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Timothy, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Timothy

Timothy Administrator Staff Member

I think it was teddyv that asked me to explain what I meant when he read a certain verse posted on the opening page of The Parsons Corner, Ask the Preacher. The verse was Proverbs 22:28 Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set.

There is a group of Christians known as Sovereign Grace Baptists who have the same roots my own group of Christians have, but splintered off in the mid 1800's embracing the teachings of John Calvin. They call themselves "Landmarker's", and that's what they are identified by now. But the name didn't used to mean Sovereign Grace brethren, they borrowed that name from the Baptists who originally came to America from Europe.

Also by the way, were also known as Anabaptist's of the old landmark. It was said that because we never symbolized with Rome, (quote from Issac Newton when speaking of the Baptists) in otherwords, not are nor never have been protestant because we never were part of the Catholic church. We were just a peculiar people who stubbornly stuck to the ways of our predecessors (fathers) without forsaking the Landmark set by them.

These were also known as the brethren of the old path ways according to my great grandfather. Jeremiah 6:16 was one of his favorite verses. Jeremiah 6:16 Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein. The way I worship today is on the same pathway as my father, grandfather, great grandfather, and the brethren before them. The same would easily be said for my own congregation.

Does that clear it up some teddyv? I know you probably have more questions now as what I just wrote would surely create more questions.

2. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

That's clear enough. It was simply a phraseology that I do not recall coming across before.