Just got to meet Tom face to face

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Timothy, Jul 28, 2016.

1. teddyv

teddyv The horse is in the barn. Staff Member

Have fun! I'll try to be there in spirit. :)

2. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

I would book it at about 24 hours driving. I usually figure 50 mph which gives time for refueling, etc. stops along the way.

3. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

Usually I reckon on about 60mph average, maybe a little higher, but that's based on trips of up to about 600 miles. My last long drive was about 570 miles and I did it in about nine hours. One stop for fuel, food and a bathroom break. The food break was long enough to get some food, then hit the interstate eating as we went.

I don't honestly know how many five-hour driving shifts I could safely do with nothing more than a fuel and comfort stop in between them before I became too tired to drive safely. I'd reckon I should be good for three of them and with a slightly longer break (even if only long enough to sit down and drink a coffee or similar) maybe a fourth. I can only speculate, having never tried it.

A couple of friends of mine have a really strange approach to driving long distance. When I've driven 5-600 miles in a single sitting I get on the road reasonably early (not so early I'm tired) and just get on with it. What they do is that he drives for about two hours, then they stop for a break, then she drives for about two hours, then they stop and stay overnight somewhere. They are younger than me, so it's not like they are getting older and have age-related issues. It's curious, the kind of distance I'd drive in an afternoon and not really think about it is the kind of distance they'd spend time planning and considering where they might break the journey.

4. Cloudwalker

I usually use 50 mph for my average speed, knowing I will probably do better. Easier figuring. 100 miles = 2 hours. Breaks about 4 hours, or when I need gas, or food. Food, especially when by myself, or with my late wife, was often fast food and eat while traveling. Thought we sometimes would pack a lunch and stop at a rest stop, at least the first day. 12 hour day is doable if I have where I'm spending the night all set up. Wouldn't do much over 14 these days. Would be hard to do long distance right now because my car doesn't have curse control and that makes long driving harder. If I'm just driving and stopping where I feel like it I usually start looking about 3 or 4 pm (get started about 8). Start looking a bit early knowing that if I find myself in an area that is full, or doesn't have a decent hotel I still have time to go on down the road. Always have a drink within reach, refilled on a stop if I'm running low. An audio book, or my music flash drive, playing. If I'm getting tired, it will be the music. Singing keeps me alert.

5. RabbiKnife

RabbiKnife Open the pod bay door, please HAL. Staff Member

I did about 400 miles yesterday in 6 hours with one stop.

6. teddyv

I got that beat :).
    I did almost exactly the same yesterday, but in a bit longer of time due to hauling a trailer. And I did the same distance (opposite direction) three days prior.

7. tango

I don't use cruise control on a long drive, I find it makes it too easy to lose concentration on the road.

If I feel drowsy I turn the air conditioning into Arctic mode. I figure 200 miles = 3 hours and know I'll probably fall a little behind schedule with that target. But once you get onto the interstates with a 70 speed limit you can usually roll 75 for many miles knowing you're chewing them up fast but not so fast that you're likely to get a ticket.

8. Cloudwalker

You can loose concentration with a cruse control if you don't take steps, I often listen to an audio book, keeps my mind from drifting off into lala land. The ease on the leg using the cruse control is worth it, IMHO.

9. teddyv

BTW, how did that meet up go?

10. TomH

TomH Well-Known Member

Went quite well. There's something to be said for body language, inflection, or simply the sound of ones voice to get a richer understanding of people.
    Gotta warn you Teddy, I'll soon be off to travel the west. Hop to be in Seattle before October.
    If I can get an address from you, or a halfway place to meet, I'd very much enjoy a get together.

11. teddyv

While I would love that, unless you are heading to Alaska, it's unlikely we could meet up somewhere. I'm a 12 hour drive from Vancouver.

12. TomH

TomH Well-Known Member

Oops, thought you were closer than that. I was ready to dig out my passport to see if was still valid.

13. tango

If you swing by central PA any time soon let me know. Hopefully we can actually find a time that works this time.

14. teddyv

I was closer than that until August of last year.

15. פNIʞƎƎS

פNIʞƎƎS Connoisseur of Memes Staff Member

It was so nice to finally be able to meet Tom and Dani face to face. I had previously met Cloudwalker on a previous trip years ago. We had a chance to have some lunch together. Though I left wishing we had more time with each other. But I'm sure that can be fixed with another visit.

16. TomH

TomH Well-Known Member

Seeking had the gall to say that I was just like what he'd envisioned.
    (I apologized for that. )

17. Cloudwalker

I may have to arrange for another meetup with Dani, and include her husband this time. They don't live that far from me.

18. tango

You Florida types need to head further north some day.

19. teddyv

WAY further north.

20. Liquid Tension

Liquid Tension No, it's NOT a fish!!!

Much further west for that matter.......................waterproof your vehicles. ;.;. 0:0 :.: ;.;. 0:0 :.: ;~: ;~: