Idolatry. In our time

Discussion in 'Speculative Reasoning' started by פNIʞƎƎS, Nov 23, 2016.

1. TrustGzus

TrustGzus Don't make me hangry Staff Member

I'm pretty sure we give about 10%. In full disclosure, though I don't write the checks, pretty sure it's off the net income.

2. devilslayer365

devilslayer365 Wazzup?!

The issue I have with the 10% mantra many espouse is that they, whether they intend to or not, give the impression that it's ok to shirk financial responsibilities, such as paying bills, if necessary in order to "tithe." For example. What if one is on such a tight budget that they literally have nothing left over after paying rent/mortgage, car payment, groceries, utilities, gas for the car, insurance, etc? Are they supposed to skip paying some of these obligations so they can tithe and just hope that God will somehow make sure those bills still get paid? If so, that doesn't particularly sound like responsible behavior.

3. ProDeo

ProDeo What a day for a day dream

I believe I heard it decades ago and thought it made sense, still think it does. Can't come up currently with a passage from Scripture so the answer is a personal opinion. And solly for late reply.

4. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard Life is not a problem to be solved Staff Member

Being a good steward covers your giving, and other financial responsibilities. Is God going to want you to give a strict 10%, if doing so means that you can't pay for your car, buy groceries for your kids, heat the house, etc.? I don't think so.

5. TrustGzus

TrustGzus Don't make me hangry Staff Member

I'm pretty sure those in this conversation all have the same perspective that 10% isn't an absolute number and that responsibilities shouldn't be shirked.

6. DaniH

DaniH You're probably fine.

^^ This.

7. tango

tango ... and you shall live ... Staff Member

In many ways an advocacy for an unyielding 10% regardless of circumstances, especially if done by a church minister hoping to receive the 10%, is itself irresponsible.

If the preacher is telling me that I have to give him 10% and trust that God will make up the shortfall the obvious retort is that I'll pay my bills to make sure I don't end up homeless or having my heating cut off, thanks very much, and he can trust God to make up his own shortfall. It doesn't show a lot of faith to expect your parishioners to hand over what they have while expecting them to have the faith that God will make sure they are OK.