Heaven

Discussion in 'Devotions' started by Cloudwalker, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Cloudwalker

Cloudwalker The genuine, original, one and only Cloudwalker Staff Member

Heaven

by ​
    Cloudwalker ​

Heaven. Everybody has their own ideas about what it is like. If you ask 10 people what heaven is like you will probably find 12 ideas, including at least 1 or 2 that say that it doesn't exist. First, let me assure you that it is as real as Hell. And second, let me assure you that it won't be sitting around all day on a cloud playing a harp. And it won't be boring either.

Personally, I think C.S. Lewis had the right idea about heaven. He talks about heaven, either directly or indirectly in, at least, 2 places that I am aware of. (Or 2 places that I want to bring out). The first is in the last book of his Narnia series. In that book the children eventually go to Aslan's country (the story's equivalent of heaven). What they find is that it is connected to, and a part of, heaven of their own world. Then, they go deeper in and find that within heaven is another Narnia that is bigger and somehow more real than the one they were in. The deeper in and higher up (the gateway to each new Narnia is in the mountains) they go they find bigger and more real than the last. And it never ends. Somehow, I can't help but think that when we finally get to heaven we will find that whatever it actually looks like, physically, it will be more real than what we have here.

The second idea he has that I like comes from the book "The Great Divorce." In this book the residents of hell find that they can take a bus tour to heaven, and they don't have to go back. Hell, then, becomes purgatory to them. Before you get upset, I am not promoting Catholic doctrine but you need to understand that fact in order to understand the book.

In this book one of the residents of heaven explains to the main character (who has made the trip from hell) that heaven (and hell) is retroactive. By this I mean that the longer you are in heaven (this works for hell as well, just in reverse) the more heaven seeps into the events of your life on earth until eventually you realize that, even with the problems on earth, you always lived in heaven. Somehow, it seems to me that this may be a good description of what happens with Romans 8:28.

One other thing I know. We won't be sitting around on clouds, playing harps and being bored. We will be busy. Even in eternity God has a purpose for us. For one thing, we will be so awed by being in the presence of God that our natural instinct is to fall down and worship Him, and worship, true worship, is never boring. (Personally, I can't wait to sing up there. A friend of mine recently said that we would be able to sing forever without needing to breathe and that we will be able to sing harmonies by ourselves. I'll admit I buy the first but not the latter.) But I have a sneaking suspicion that that isn't all there is for us. I don't know what it is but something tells me there's more. I can't wait to see if I'm right.